Thread: Ford Reman head new in box... has pinned ex seats. Reliable?????

Building Boost

Thumbs up Ford Reman head new in box... has pinned ex seats. Reliable?????

Hi guys,

I've tore down a cylinder head I got from Jason V on here, to start ding a port job, and after doing about 5 hours work, had a closer look and realize now that 3 of the ex seats have been pinned to repair cracks.

The head was never run, in a Ford Box with Ford part number etc.. i'm sure they sub the work out. Anyways, I am getting differing opinions.....

Some say they wouldn't touch it in a high perf app., other's saying as long as you aren't trying to run 450 rwhp with it.... As I recall, I think he just wants a 270 - 300 Hp car with bit more zip... talking T3 turbo I think.

Anyways I've started to port this thing... can't reach him... wanted to post here and ask if any one knows or is running one??

Building Boost
    Well it's been interesting i've talked to ppl with varying degrees of opinion.

I have to stop and think. Just last week I was talking with my friend Chris [Seahag on TF] and in 2010 he had run 10s in this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9dUbChnOnA Till it bent all 4 rods in the very tired merk JY shortblock...

Then the next summer put that setup with a built bottom, in a 3450 LB turbo coupe and went mid 11s @ 118 mph same head....

Well a week ago at machine shop, he discovered the cyl head, a Big valver which I had ported back in..... I dunno..late 2009.. few years back now.. shes cracked... and the car never ran funny, leaked or burned coolant or oil... And is going back on his new notch cracked.. and will prob run fine..

This leads me to wonder, my included with my original 1984 head.. how many of us out there ARE infact making 280, 350, 400 HP on cracked heads...

The one gentleman I spoke with tonight, said Ford Reman though sourced out, is usually pretty good quality stuff, and that as long as we aren't trying to HUBER the car he'd have no issues running it. But like ya if there are people [us] running 10s & 11s on cracked stuff.. why wouldn't this repaired one run at the 275-300 HP level fine?

Half Boost
    I ran a repaired head that I ported for years but when I wanted to go over 300 HP I bought a Boport just to be safe. At 232 Whp and 286 Tq it worked. Don't know if 300 would change things though.

Building Boost
    Thanks for asking Steve. I would like both Mike Fleming and Pat Pearson to chime in on this please as both of your opinions matter to me about this. Thanks again.

Building Boost
    N/P Jason, I didn't see that it was actually pinned until i was pretty well into it roughing out the ex bowls. Like I told you if there are any issues with it, supply me a good core and pay the machine work and ill port another one for no charge. I spoke to one place that does it and said if done right it would hold up in a mild application so when I couldn't reach you via calling or text and on FB [I messaged your wife] I decided to go ahead based on what you said your goals were. You're not into this one for any machine work, just some seals... so for that matter if it makes you not sleep at night locate a good core and send it to me at some point when you get home and i will chip away at it for you if you want till there's another one done, last thing I want is drama over some die grinding. That said you will prob put this on and not have a problem. I would put it on my own car if staying under or at the 300 HP level. See you Saturday.