Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New & Improved Red 85 SVO

I am going to do a leak-down test next week. Then I'm going to pull the valve cover off, pressurize the cylinders and change my valve seals. Mike I changed the injectors & computer it was still same problem. It's smoking bad at idle so I hope it's just the seals. They are the old style seals I have the new style FelPro SS72683. If it's the head or rings I have a spare head & block ready to go in. I'm going to run the chip and big injectors as I think now it's oil causing the idle problem. I'll know more once I do the leak down test. Thanks
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did a leak down & compression test. Not good. 1st I'll pull the head, then I'll see what's up.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How bad was it?

Do you have a shop to use if you need any machine work done?
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I haven't pulled the had yet. 135 on 1 125, 100, 130. Leak dn 20% loss on #1 23% on # 4 I didn't do a leak dn on 2 & 3 as it was difficult to find TDC or 2 & 3

Well, already sounds like you're heading down the path of replacing the HG.

FYI, if you don't have a shop you normally us near you, you can always give a call to Frank's Head & Engine Service in Griffin (770) 229-1888. I'm a little biased since it's my dad's shop. But you can check with Dave Smith, Mike Stevens, or Pat for their opinion of their work.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Engine.jpgHead removal.jpgTurbo head 2.jpg

I pulled the head off last week. Very interesting, But Stupid! When I had the big valves & new guides installed 20 years ago it was returned to me with the dual springs installed ready for me to install the cam. When I took it apart last week it turns out the valve seals were the wrong size and were not locking down on the valve guides but had a good seal on the stem. Thus pumping oil down the guides. I cleaned everything up and now it's at Chastain Engines in Jonesboro for valve seat grinding or lapping whichever they need and new Comp Cam seals. I don't blow anymore head gaskets because I use a solid copper head gasket. I'm glad I pulled it apart.

Good thing you discovered the issue before actually 'toasting' anything! Sounds like you should be back on the road soon and stronger than ever, good luck.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I like the Hogans Hero's reference...

I got the new cam, lifters, seals, valves redone and the head is ready to go back on. I'm going to use some new Green Gaint 42lb injectors with the chip for awhile since I won't be hammering on the engine. I have to wait til a friend can help me put the head on, then I have to put all the Stuff back on then get him back t fire it up. I know the critical deal about breaking in the cam 20 min. @ 1800 rpms. It will be awhile before I'll be firing it up. I have 2 PE computers 1 has D6J02 *244* 6H292 the other has D6J23 *244* 6J222 both E5ZF-12650-E3A Do they both have the same calibration?
    Head 1-ready.jpg
    2-Big valves.jpg

. I know the critical deal about breaking in the cam 20 min. @ 1800 rpms. It will be awhile before I'll be firing it up. I have 2 PE computers 1 has D6J02 *244* 6H292 the other has D6J23 *244* 6J222 both E5ZF-12650-E3A Do they both have the same calibration?
    Get evrything setup and primed before firing/cranking the engine so it wil lstart right away. Crank less than ten seconds and get the RPM between 2500 and 3000 RPM and hold it there for the first 20 minutes. 1800 is too low.

While it's running at 2500, get timing set (30 BTC total with SPOUT in for a PE) and look for leaks.

All EECs with PE on them has the same calibration. Part numbers and date codes are irrelevant.

Make sure your "chip" works properly with a PE and with the 42Lb injectors or the running in will be way too rich.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Engle said in their direction to not go over 2k and not below 1500. I did use the 42 lb before for a short time. I always have somebody set the timing quickly while I hold the rpms up. It'll be good

I did use the 42 lb before for a short time
    Do you have a chip on the PE?

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yes, It a set up with the 62lb injectors. Both the 42lb & the 62 are high Z. I have the boost dialed down to 12lb. I have a threaded rod on my wastegate. I m going to drive it easy during shake down testing. Then I'll go into fine tuning everything.I have brown top 35lb ers if I need to back off. It's not going down on me again!

It's not going down on me again!
    Beat it into submission!

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

I put the head on Monday. Tuesday put all the stuff back on. Wed. I fired it up. It didn't want to start. Then it fired up and shut right down. This was troubling. We swapped out distributors same thing. Then I had to feather the gas to get it to start coming up. It was missing like a bad plug( could have been since I cleaned and put in the old plugs). I held it at 2k for 30 min. It cleaned up and ran smooth. I shut it down and checked the timing and adjusted the idle, I took it on the road and did about 20 miles on the interstate, It pulled good with boost on it, but if I backed off the boost and ran it at 3k it was jumping around. It didn't hardly pull below 3k. I changed the injectors back to the 62lb. & adjusted the TPS. It runs great now very smooth idle and pulls strong thru out the rpm range. I think the big problem was the TPS being off. Now I can drive r!

Good work!

Good to hear it's driving again. ( I will assume no oil leaks too! )

Never Assume anything! No Answer at this time.

Thats good to hear .
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

I cleaned under the engine & transmission then let her dry. Then I put it in the garage and let it idle for 20 min. looking for oil leaks. I can't believe how smooth it's idling and starting up. I didn't see any leaks. I took it out for a 10 mile easy run not much boost. The cam is real nice. I got it back in the garage and checked for leaks. Yes I have a oil leak. Where it ends up dripping from is at the center of the transmission right where it connects to the engine. I don't think it's the rear main I think it's running down on the right side. I think it's the valve cover gasket. I had sealed it before with RTV so if I took it off again it won't stick and tear up the gasket. The next one will be sealed with something better. I tried one of the rubber gaskets before but the metal grommets stuck in the valve cover holes. I have a new cork gasket I'm going to use. I'll take it apart tomorrow. I like the cam.