Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New & Improved Red 85 SVO

i took off the intercooler & the tb. The TB needed cleaning. The right side of the motor was wet from oil front to rear. I didn't snug down the valve cover.I tighten it down & took it out. This time I went WOT from 3K up to 6K in 3rd & 4th WOW! It pulls hard from 3K and pulls real strong all the way up to 6K I think I hit the rev limiter. I've never had a cam pull so strong above 5K Sweett It's a nice smooth idle. After 23 years of working on this car I now have the SVO I've wanted.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been doing some testing and all is going well. I put a new TPS on and soilered a pig tail on it so I can check the TPS voltage easy. I put some blue locktite on the valve cover bolts as they want to back off. I drove about 70 miles mostly interstate 3-4 k pulling 3-9 lbs boost. It's running real strong. I pulled the plugs. They are not burning lean but they don't have any color other than down the outside of the insulator in the center. I won't be running it hard until I get the chip tuned. Before I do that I want to install a A/F meter with a wideband sensor. I got it narrowed down to the Zeitronix & a Innovate.I don't know what I need. I am running 12lbs of boost. I just want to monitor it in case I get into a race with a Civil. I have this chip I don't know what it is do you know Mike? So what kind of setup do I need?Chip.jpg
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The chip printing is too blurry to read. Is that a RJ45 connector at the bottom?
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yes that is a plug in connector. I think it's a Moates.

Some pictures of the EEC Tuner card for reference installed into EEC box.
    Img_2461.jpgImg_2465.jpgImg_2464.jpgImg_2466.jpgImg_2467.jpg

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mine is plugged into the slot in the back. Is that called a J-3

Iirc the connector is called a J3 but I've slept since then.

It's the same edge connector as was used with the old 360K/1.2M 5.25" floppy drive edge connectors.

Yeah that's where I remember it from! Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!

I ordered my Xmas present. The Innovate LM-2. Can't wait for the fat man I mean the the postman.

I had my exhaust off and welded in a bung for the wideband O2 sensor. I also had the computer out to see who made the chip in the J3 port. It is a SCT. I put everything back together and ran Seafoam in the oil then drained. That stuff works. The oil I drained wasn't that old or dirty but the oil coming out was black. I put Champion 10-30w in. The book I have says 5.5 quarts w/filter. I checked it with the dip stick before I started it it was showing about a 1/2 quart low. I used another dip stick and it showed the same. What is the # for a 86 SVO dip stick?

All SVO dipsticks are the same and interchangeable. Mine has the handle painted red - most are factory yellow.

BTW - the dipstick tube is different between the in-line and square intakes. Mostly the upper bracket.

Iirc the dry fill is 5 qts including the "short" oil filter.

The number on my sticks one: E4ZE-6750-BA the other E5ZE-6750-BA I know the E means 80's the 4 means 84, 5 85 So full with a filter is 5 quarts?

What does the dipstick read?

Both dip sticks indicate the same level which is below the full line, I would say about 1/2 quart. I have a short Purolator filter. I now know why so much oil was coming out of the breather. But back to the numbers are they correct?

Yes, factory fill is 5.0 Quarts.

I have been putting some miles on the car. It's not leakng & running real strong. I had the high idle issue as others have mentioned. I decided to spray the linkage with WD-40 that fixed my idle problem. Good idea!

I haven't had time to do the wideband sensor. I pulled the plugs. They have a hint of gray on the metal and just a few streams of brown. Down the latter wall down is black but the center is white. Not overheating but no color. The shops I checked around here want too much & didn't get favorable reviews. I changed the computer with the chip for my spare PE. I put brownies 35 back in.. I drove it around easy to let that EEC-IV figure everything out. I heard that it has about a 10% adjustment range for the air fuel ratio. My engine is .040 over big valves 2.5 exhaust. Will the EEC-IV able to handle the better air flow?

Upon further investigation my setup should be good. I have a new BMAP sensor on the way. Then I'll get that A/C going. Then off to the Blue Ridge Pwky. Kool

Valve cover breather 4.jpgValve cover breather.jpgI removed my valve cover and tapped the breather hole out to 1/2 npt. Don't tap threads to the bottom you'll have to use too much teflon tap. I used 3/4" from the oil pan to 5/8 from the T fitting. I'm testing now still have some mix water oil but very little compared to before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Building Boost
    Where exactly are the two hoses from the back of the VC going? I have a single line to a catch can but that fills up in about 50-75 miles of driving!