Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hood vents

The high pressure area at the front of the car is the grille/bumper and the windshield. Why do you think that many circle track and roadracing cars pickup their induction air at the windshield. So, propping up the rear of the hood is going to do what???
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Pickup a GT 500 hood vent, the wide one, and install it right behind the radiator.

Helps with aero also.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    The high pressure area at the front of the car is the grille/bumper and the windshield. Why do you think that many circle track and roadracing cars pickup their induction air at the windshield. So, propping up the rear of the hood is going to do what???
    You will actually create an air path through the engine compartment up and out over the windshield...despite the fact that the cowl area is a high pressure area. The pressure in the engine compartment is usually higher than at the cowl, so you will get flow up/out. It was amazing how much cooler my buddy's old 5.0L LX ran when he put on a 2" cowl hood...and how he rarely had to run his defroster in the winter with all the engine heat 'washing' the glass.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

You will actually create an air path through the engine compartment up and out over the windshield...despite the fact that the cowl area is a high pressure area. The pressure in the engine compartment is usually higher than at the cowl, so you will get flow up/out. It was amazing how much cooler my buddy's old 5.0L LX ran when he put on a 2" cowl hood...and how he rarely had to run his defroster in the winter with all the engine heat 'washing' the glass.
    That's probably true for slow speeds, but, imho, not much of a benefit at higher (racing) speeds.

Hopefully Vince will be driving faster on-track than most street cars. At least I think that is his goal.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Yeah, I remembered that after I posted that Bob. Brain fart I suppose.

My recommendation is to get a hood from a 1979-1982 or 1983-1986 GT. Get rid of the SVO's hood overhang and get more airflow through the front opening, where you'll get the most bang for the buck.