Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Started on my 84! (9w)

Noob

Started on my 84! (9w)

So i've started on my 84 and I'm not looking to go to crazy with this project. After all, this will be my first attempt on a restoration. I just want to get her running smoothly, clean up the interior, and pretty up the outside the best I can. After that, the car is going to my Dad up in MA, where he can tinker around with the little things and make it his own. So, first things first, the wiring harness is completely jacked up. So I ordered a Ron Francis wiring harness from Summit Racing. For those that might not have seen my welcome post; one of the previous owners of my SVO was caught cheating on his old lady, and her revenge was to cut as many wires under the hood as she could. I was not aware that the harness comes wired for an 87-88 Turbo Coupe ECU. There is a guy in my area with an LB3 ECU. Will that work, and do I have to modify anything else? (other than brown tops and bigger VAM) Or, can I run it with the stock ECU? I'll also be pulling the motor to give her a good once over and make sure I don't find any hidden surprises. Any suggestions on what I should do while the motor is out are welcome.

There's two main harnesses under the hood: The EEC harness which comes through the firewall near the heater core connection on the right side; and the electrical harness that comes through the firewall to the left of the brake booster can.

I'm assuming the new harness is only the EEC one?

If going to an MA/LB EEC, there are some issues using the knock sensor system with the in-line intake manifold (it doesn't work). You will need the larger injectors.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Yes, it's just the EEC harness. So, could I make it work with the stock ECU?

^
    I'm not familiar with that product, but most likely Yes. All I was attempting to point out is that new EEC replacement harness won't do anything to repair the electrical harness (cooling fan, lights, charging and starting systems, etc.) if it was "damaged".

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Yes, unfortunately they were damaged too. I'll need to repair those.

Noob
    Played around with the motor this weekend. Installed a melling oil pump and inspected the crank case. Question though.....is it a standard practice to modify the pick tube like that? Isn't that going to lower oil pressure?

Cutting up the inlet screen exposure area will not affect pressure at all. As long as there is not a *serious* increase in restriction to flow, oil pressure is determined by bearing clearances and the relief spring in the pump assembly.

Using the thickness of a compressed sump gasket measure and calculate the clearance between the bottom of the pickup screen area and the top of the pan inside. You want 1/8-3/16" clearance. For additional interesting 2.33 OHC data, refer to:

http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/tech-section.pdf

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Cutting up the inlet screen exposure area will not affect pressure at all. As long as there is not a *serious* increase in restriction to flow, oil pressure is determined by bearing clearances and the relief spring in the pump assembly.

Using the thickness of a compressed sump gasket measure and calculate the clearance between the bottom of the pickup screen area and the top of the pan inside. You want 1/8-3/16" clearance. For additional interesting 2.33 OHC data, refer to:

http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/tech-section.pdf
    Should I be concerned about pump cavitation with the bigger exposure area, plus the high volume pump?

Should I be concerned about pump cavitation with the bigger exposure area, plus the high volume pump?
    Totally depends: pan design (assuming stock), level of oil in sump, G-force peak and sustained over time, flow rates of drain-back from the head, etc. If the opening in the pickup tune EVER sees air, you will loose oil pressure.

Iirc new stock pickup tubes (and gasket) are about $15. Tried, tested and proven.

Half Boost
    No one told you NOT to use a high volume pump? They put undue stress on the distributer shaft gear causing failures.

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    No one told you NOT to use a high volume pump? They put undue stress on the distributer shaft gear causing failures.
    Nope! Thats the first I've heard of it. I still have a lot to learn about the SVO. Did whatever research I could before getting it, but never came across that tid-bit of info.