Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Moaning sound from r/r wheel

Half Boost

Moaning sound from r/r wheel

For sometime now I have noticed a clicking noise from what sounds like the rear brakes when I would back up. Mostly when I back up in my driveway(about 75 feet). Now I am hearing what can best be described as a moaning sound when I am driving the car. I havent pulled any wheels yet to look because I am not sure if I'm going to find anything even.
    Does anyone have any ideas????

The clicking noise is probably the rear pads bouncing around, or slamming forward/rearward when applied. See the Rear Caliper Overhaul article off the main webpage to see pictorial examples of how the anti-rattle springs should be installed.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Make sure you put the anti-rattle springs on correctly or Mike might just have to call you out and have Mitch ban you!!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Building Boost
    Moaning sound could be a bearing in the rearend too, I had similar problem a few years back and the pinion bearing was smoked.

Half Boost
    I know it's been a while since I started this post but now that I am replacing the rear caliper hardware we'll see if this cures the problem.
    If it doesn't then I'll have to dig deeper.

I had the same sound coming out of my 86 right after I bought the car new from the dealership. They changed the rear axle. Years later my 85 was doing it. I changed axles shafts & bearing in the pinion. Still had the noise. Brought it to Allen Vigils Ford, 15 minutes later while it was up on the rack the mechanic showed me the problem. When the E-brake was pulled up the spring on the r/r caliper was binding and not allowing the lever to fully back off causing the pads to drag on the rotors. He fixed it and that solved the problem.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I found a partially broken anti rattle spring. Everything seems good now.