Thread: Need Help locating harness fuse links

Some Boost

Need Help locating harness fuse links

Ok backing car out of garage this am and saw a little smoke from under the hood, opened it and smelled electrical. Noticed harness insulation that has alt, wires was melted from contacting the edge if the master cylinder. I moved harness away and got some sparks but car was running. Pulled it back into garage to fix the wire. Replaced a section of the heavy wire that had burned thru the other wires were ok and replaced the insulation. Now the car will not start, cranks fine, fuel pump runs. 12VDC at coil with key on, ran test light from + batt to neg side of coil. light on as expected but completely off when cranking (it should blink) So I thinking maybe a fuse link in a harness opened up, but I can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?

Some Boost
    I replaced a 20 gauge fuse link that was in the harness on the drivers side by the firewall, still no go, then another one coming off the solenoid still nothing. There quite a few more links in the harness that runs forward under the batt. tray but I'm thinking these are in the headlight harness. I can't find any info on where these fuse links are that would be in a circuit causing no spark. .......... Anybody?

See if you can find a "Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual", it is very comprehensive.
    I've got one for an '85 and it has proven invaluable! Each electrical and vacuum section are covered individually.
    Do you have ignition spark? Can you tell if your injectors are firing?

Some Boost
    No spark, injectors are working. Who puts out this manual you refer to?

What year is your SVO? These manuals were originally published / sold by Ford Parts and Service, Service Training Division. You might see some orig or reprints available on places like http://www.lloydsautolit.com/. I have a coupe NOS 85 EVTMs available.

Note the 84 SVO was the bastard child as far as Ford service / repair manuals were concerned. None of the SVO-specific stuff is in the normal Mustang/Capri service manuals or EVTM. For 1984 only there was an SVO supplement that covered most things SVO. By MY (mopdel year) 1985, the SVO was fully integrated into the service/repair documentation process but it was still treated as the bastard child, imho. MY 1986 not so much the b-child treatment but still no love.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Thanks Mike,

"Note the 84 SVO was the bastard child as far as Ford service / repair manuals were concerned."

That figures, mine is 84 (Early car built Oct 83) I did locate an original EVTM for the 85's but haven't looked it over yet to see where fuse links are for the start/run circuits.

Any hints or suggestions appreciated

Some Boost
    Well spent the weekend going over the EVTM and replaced several fuse links, checking harnesses etc still no go. I'm handing the car off to a Ford tech guy that is the local wiring guru (he has SVO also) as its beyond my skill level. . If you have read my various posts I have tons of time, parts & $ sunk into this car and I'm hoping that the ecu didn't get smoked or anything else major.

Some Boost
    Back on the road! Apparently while fixing the alt harness there was a old poorly done butt spliced wire in the harness to the TFI that had come apart. didn't find it until I had un wrapped the harness. So I went ahead and spent a couple of hrs opening up rest of the harness to check insulation and if there were any other splices. Everything ok and rewrapped everything up with new tape and split tubing and it looks much neater too.

Total cost, a couple of bucks worth of elec. tape, split tubing, and a 6 pack of Fosters shared with my Ford tech buddy.

Rock on! Quick splices will always cause lengthy repairs down the road. Just ask Bob Holmes & Vince Rinner.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    Back on the road! Apparently while fixing the alt harness there was a old poorly done butt spliced wire in the harness to the TFI that had come apart. didn't find it until I had un wrapped the harness. So I went ahead and spent a couple of hrs opening up rest of the harness to check insulation and if there were any other splices. Everything ok and rewrapped everything up with new tape and split tubing and it looks much neater too.

Total cost, a couple of bucks worth of elec. tape, split tubing, and a 6 pack of Fosters shared with my Ford tech buddy.
    Glad to hear you found the problem and are back running.

Smoke under the hood isn't good. Funny how something so simple can cause a big issue.

Mike, are you saying us 84 owners would benefit from a set of 86 manuals?

Some Boost
    Yes, Actually the issue with alt harness didn't cause any other problems, all the fuse links I replaced were not blown. The broken TFI wire splice most likley happened when I was moving the harnesses around. Ford did a lousy job the way they routed the harnesses squeezing them in between the strut tower and the M/C, that combined with insulation problems in some of the early cars its just a matter of when...not if ...there will be an issue someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    Yes, Actually the issue with alt harness didn't cause any other problems, all the fuse links I replaced were not blown. The broken TFI wire splice most likley happened when I was moving the harnesses around. Ford did a lousy job the way they routed the harnesses squeezing them in between the strut tower and the M/C, that combined with insulation problems in some of the early cars its just a matter of when...not if ...there will be an issue someplace.
    Yea, I hear you. I noticed the routing of the harness you mentioned and thought WTF! Haven't torn into wiring yet but can't wait.....