Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: AC Brace

AC Brace

I just got the AC back on the 86 and I discovered I am missing a part. There is a brace that goes from the exhaust manifold over to the back of the compressor or maybe the compressor mounting bracket (I can't remember), anyway if anybody has one of these spare I would like to buy it. potterhm@aol.com. Thanks
    86 SVO (9L)

The brace runs from the A/C bracket to the cylinder head. There is also a small spacer between the brace and the cylinder head; my guess is you'll need that too?
    The following pictures are from my 2 '86s...I'll check to see if I have a spare when I return from SMR.
    IMG_4770.JPG
    Mounting location of brace at cylinder head
    IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

That's it for sure, I will need the spacer also.
    86 SVO (9L)

There's three pieces that you are looking for, plus assorted hardware (bolts, spacer, etc.). Two of the three are clearly shown in Dave's pics whole the third is hidden. I looked for pics and the part last PM, did not locate. So here's the verbose, text description of the missing pictures.

The top part (aka adjuster bracket) attaches to the outside of the head with two 8mm bolts, ~20mm long. Factory used 10mm washered hex heads. That brace extends rightwards, parallel to the axle, to the top of the AC bracket and is held to the AC comp adjuster(slider) bracket with (2) 10mm bolts, factory used 15mm washered hex heads. The 3-point mount forms a triangulated, three-point load mount.

The outer most end of the adjuster brace has a solid rod going downwards to the upper, rear-most aluminum lower AC bracket mounting bolt on the block. One end of that rod has an eyelet end to fit over the 10mm bolt attaching the lower aluminum AC bracket to the block and the other end has a 10mm stud exposed that goes through, upwards, the outer end of the adjuster bracket. That stud mounts the upper. rearward-facing diagonal brace that and retains it and the upper rod with a 10mm nut (factory used a 15mm washered hex head) with the upper rearward brace on the top of the adjuster bracket.

The rear end of the upper brace [solid] rod mounts to the head using a spacer ~15mm thick to the SECOND (from the front of the head casting) 10mm hole in the head, just over the #1 spark plug hole. This brace and bolt/washer/spacer are clearly shown in Dave's pics.

( All above threads are either 8x1.25mm or 10x1.5mm. )

HTH!

Between F1 race stuff and naps over the weekend, I will attempt to peruse the shop and assorted SVO picutre storage devices to see if I can locate those parts and/or pictures.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mike Is the AC setup the same on a 85 SVO (early) as the 86. I forgot that my 85 has the complete AC system installed, only problem is it's 100 miles from home in my storage building at my daughters house. I can swipe what I need from it perhaps and then look for replacement parts as time permits. Also a completely different issue: When I post something I can't advance to another line. All I can do is continue on the same line till it's filled up. For Instance when I typed your name in the beginning and hit enter all it did was continue on the same line? Any thoughts on that? This is the only forum that this happens on. Mark- see don't that look dumb like I can't even type Maybe it's because I live in KY?
    86 SVO (9L)

Maybe it's because I live in KY?
    Possible but I'd suspect your browser before that. What browser/OS you using? I've heard Mark Haas complain that he can't sent <CR>s using him Apple phone but don't recall anyone else having issues.

The "early" cars used a different upper bracket, one piece, that attached to the front/side 10mm hole in the head. There were no other triangulation braces. And the tensioning piece on the AC compressor was also different. This mod wasn't done by specific model year but in response to LOTS of complaints about engine NVH and, iirc, was fully implemented by MY 1985.

They also changed the PS lower bracket from a 3-bolt to a 4-bolt style, and, for the square intake models (85+ non-SVO and 85.5+ SVO) changed the upper alternator tensioning bracket that mounts to the top of the PS bracket. Then added a tube brace from the top of that mount to the forward outside stud on the intake, with a blue nut. All to help reduce the vibration coming form the front-mounted "ancillaries".

I have lots of pics of the later PS bracketry. Another weekend task.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Is your water pump pulley PC'd??

PC ? My system is installed and working I am just short that brace, bolt for the block and spacer. Everything lines up and works as it should. The compressor seems stable enough without the brace but I suspect for the long term it should be installed. My browser is internet explorer.
    86 SVO (9L)

Internet Explorer 8 was my issue on the return tab also ! Using Chrome now.

Let me look probably not until Sunday. (PM your address)

Mark

"PC" = power coat (a painting method)

Found some drawings of early vs late AC compressor mounting and belt routing.

Early AC Comp mount. Upper mount/adjuster is one piece, woth a rear arm and spacer to head. The upper bracked/adjuster is one piece with the rear arm & nut welded as an assembly.
    Ac1.jpg

Later style uses a 3-piece upper mount/adjuster and mounts to the head further back with a shorter spacer.
    Ac2.jpg

Earlier AC belt drive (top) used a 3-groove crank pulley and 2-groove water pump pulley. Later (lower) used a 2-groove crank pulley and 3-groove water pump pulley, with the AC being driven off the water pump pulley outer grove. . I much prefer the earlier design as the often later places too much load on the two-belt system to drive the AC.
    Acpulley.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    Internet Explorer 8 was my issue on the return tab also ! Using Chrome now.

Let me look probably not until Sunday. (PM your address)

Mark
    Didn't find - should have known (having alot of NON AC cars) !

Just adding some data and pics to this thread. Here are pics of the upper adjuster bracket and the two rod braces on the later (85.5/86) 2.3L Turbo EFI engines to mount/support the AC compressor upper side. My apologies for the poor contrast in the pics - it's always difficult to get good shots of gloss black parts.

Those rod/braces are solid, btw. Could probably save a half pound by making them from thin-wall tubes and smooshing/drilling the ends. For those of us that keep our cars on a diet.

These items are Powder Coated (PC'd) gloss black 9-10 years back and have been sitting in protective bags ever since. I have the lower aluminum mounting bracket somewhere also - don't recall if it was PC'd or not (probably have pics from then though). As I locate the other items: lower bracket, attaching hardware, spacer, etc.) I will update this thread.

Probably should to move/copy it to a technical area also.
    Img_0585.jpgImg_0588.jpgImg_0586.jpgImg_0589.jpgImg_0590.jpgImg_0592.jpgImg_0595.jpgImg_0596.jpgImg_0597.jpgIMG_0606.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0603.jpgImg_0600.jpgImg_0599.jpgIMG_0607.jpg

Before PCing.
    Img_3563.jpg

Here is a picture of the lower brace installed on the car. The part in the picture below is the leftmost brace in Mike's picture above.
    Dave

IMG_5093.JPG

Great pictures and drawings!!

I didn't realize there was a early/later difference.

I just took noticed that small brace is missing too, I will fab one up.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Builder View Post
    I just took noticed that small brace is missing too, I will fab one up.
    Post a pic when you get it done.