Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 85.5 1C project

My 85.5 1C project

Hi folks my 85.5 arrived finally. As you can see in the pictures it needs a little work but overall a very solid rust free vehicle. Already in the sites looking for parts and have found some already and purchased. A inventory of what the car needs is as follows:

Left front fender (purchased)
    left front splash liner( in the process of purchasing
    left side rocker molding.
    header panel( its broken gonna try to save)
    nose( have but plastic is ripped on driver side not sure if its repairable)
    left side outer marker light ( have but both mounting studs are broken)
    thin body molding
    carpeting( both passenger area and hatch area)
    headliner
    Windshield( crack in lower bottom )
    dash pad
    body work to rear quarter
    respray of driver side

She runs great and has a ton of new parts installed from previous owner. Keep you posted.
    IMG_20140823_155807.jpgIMG_20140823_155756.jpgIMG_20140823_155735.jpgLHS Rear.jpg

Glad you found a fender! Was it something local?

Keep the updates coming. It's going to be a cool project.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

About 2 hrs away both front fenders NOS. Once I pick them up I'll decide if I'm gonna use the passenger side or not. Might use that to barter for some other parts I need.

Great score! Much better than paying for shipping across country hoping that the fender arrives without damage.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Nice looking project. Won't take too much to get that back into shape and on the road again....
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

JTURBO: no the body besides the slight damage to the left quarter, everything else is bolt on. For purchasing it out of state and only photos I'm very impressed as to how clean and rust free it is. I'm looking forward to digging into my new project.

Glad your car was from out of state, I thought maybe my wife had been in the vicinity. Here is what she did to mine a few years ago....

And after I repaired / repainted it:
    1979 Pace Car ~ 1982 GT T-Top
    1986 1C SVO ~ 1986 GT vert

Lol. I'm hoping mine turns out just as good looking as yours did. Gonna take my time. Never did this kind of body repair. Since I'm shooting 50 years old in a couple. Want to check it off my bucket list. Now only if I can purchase one SVO from each model year..... next on my bucket list.

So yesterday I tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I had planned on meeting JTurbo up at Lebanon Valley Raceway in New Lebanon NY to introduce myself and BS . I also needed to pick up a pair of NOS fenders for my car in MA. So off at 5 am my 16 year old son and I left to travel 2 hours(became more like 3) to pick up the fenders. The person selling them was knowledgeable in the world of SVO's and had at one point 7-8 cars. Him and his father would repair them. Now mind you this was back in the early 90's he said when parts were still readily available hence the set of NOS fenders. After spending some time there it was off again to Lebanon Valley. Needless to say it was near 1pm when we arrived and tho I did see JTurbo's red Mustang GT convertible , I missed him. O well hopefully some other car event in the future. I think picking these up was worth the trip.IMG_20140831_160458.jpg
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)
    85.5 1C ( current project)

So this past weekend I stripped the remaining parts out of the interior and I found that the floors were as solid as the day they left the factory. Very impressed. The headliner was sagging bad so I removed that . The board is still in great shape and I'm hoping to be able to reuse with new cloth lining material. passenger floor.jpgdriverside rear.jpgdriverside floor.jpginterior roof.jpg
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)

Wow, those floors are clean. No rust and NY can't be used in the same sentence.

Guess you didn't find a buildsheet hiding under the carpet? That's where I found mine on my 84.

Looks like nice solid car to start with and great to see you bringing it back!

Thanks for sharing the progress. Looking forward to seeing more.

No build sheet. The PO already had carpet out when I purchased . Not bad tho for buying it sight unseen. Except in photos.
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by nysvo View Post
    No build sheet. The PO already had carpet out when I purchased . Not bad tho for buying it sight unseen. Except in photos.
    Maybe there never was a build sheet. Where did the car come from? Guess not the northeast.

I bought one car sight unseen except for photos. Pretty 'exciting' isn't it? Luckily it worked out but it's risky.

I bought it from a gentleman out of Michigan. A drunk smacked him on the driverside about 20 yrs ago. He put it away and drove it around the block a couple times a month except when salt was on the road. He had planned on fixing the damage and had taken apart to do so but life got in the way and before he knew it he had no more time. He was glad to hear I plan on returning it to its former glory. Told me he want "her" to go to a good home. Haven't took the time yet to get the full history on her yet. Figured I'd get around to it some cold winter night. been too busy collecting parts to hibernate for the winter in my garage lol.
    Last edited by nysvo; 09-19-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)

Welcome from Southwick, MA! I know JTurbo. He painted my car, an 85.5 1B. Was at Lebanon a couple of weeks ago as well. My '89 vert was parked near JT's '86.
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B

I bought it from a gentleman out of Michigan. A drunk smacked him on the driverside about 20 yrs ago. He put it away and drove it around the block a couple times a month except when salt was on the road. He had planned on fixing the damage and had taken apart to do so but life got in the way and before he knew it he had no more time. He was glad to hear I plan on returning it to its former glory. Told me he want "her" to go to a good home. Haven't took the time yet to get the full history on her yet. Figured I'd get around to it some cold winter night. been too busy collecting parts to hibernate for the winter in my garage lol.
    Cool story, thanks for sharing. The PO should be happy knowing you are bringing it back. Keep us posted on your progress and don't make us wait until Spring when you come out of hibernation.

Thanks DZNJ. Yours was red too. I remember seeing another vert closer to the track entrance. My son and I stayed to watch the drag racing for a while. When we came back out the lot was nearly empty of cars. So we missed seeing everyone.
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)

Thanks DZNJ. Yours was red too. I remember seeing another vert closer to the track entrance. My son and I stayed to watch the drag racing for a while. When we came back out the lot was nearly empty of cars. So we missed seeing everyone.

You are correct. The other '86 near the track entrance is a guy from Westfield, MA.
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B

All three I saw were very nice and clean. Congrats.
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)

Just wanted to give you an update. There is no update, have not done too much to the SVO except stock piling parts for the winter time. Work and getting my everyday cars and house/yard ready for the change in seasons has taken up all my time. Thanks to Mike'ssvo for having the parts I needed. I did find a little time the other day and started to rebuild the fiberglass header panel. So far so good.
    86 1C (sold)
    86 1D (sold)