Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 84 Refresh

84 Refresh

Finally..... got some SVO time. Fixed rag joint so now it doesn't steer like a yacht, changed rear gear oil, oil change and filter, flushed brakes, flushing cooling system. I forgot how stiff the clutch is, probably a new clutch is in the future.

Think I found a good price on Koni's so want to start the front suspension next.

Headliner is out and I'm trying to decide on headliner material.

All usual SVO stuff, nothing exciting here but one step closer to having it back on the road.

Cooling system is flushed, pretty rusty but running clear now after many flushes. New sunroof retaining clips installed replacing the old rusty ones. Collecting hoses and on to PS flush.

More items checked off the To Do list.

Carry On!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

After 98,000 miles and being off the road for 7 years it's a looong list. Most normal people would just ship something like this to the boneyard, but....

And I'll be buying 2x the engine parts to get my (RED) 83 TC back on the road.

OK, I'm not obsessed, I just don't like dirt.

As part of the 'refresh' I cleaned up the inside of the hatch area. Looks factory fresh again! I doubt it will be seen much after reassembly but I know it's clean.

I was surprised how much road dirt collected back there.

before.JPGafter.JPG

My car had a 'paint traveler' in the spare tire area showing defects from the assembly line that needed fixed and I guess the guys doing the repairs decided to toss the sandpaper in the quarter panels. One piece was blocking the drain hole so I'm amazed it's not rusted out! I also found some buffing marks on the bottom of the PS taillight. Oh if this car could talk.

sandpaper.JPGtaillight.JPG

Much more betterer! Almost as anal about cleaning the car as I am.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

That's why I'd prefer to run without an interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Much more betterer! Almost as anal about cleaning the car as I am.

Equally anal about my landscaping which is why I don't get much done on the SVO!!

yard.JPG

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Or in my case with me vs my neighbors, weeds or no weeds!

25 yrs ago today I bought my 7 yr old 1984 SVO.

My how time flies.

This is the first picture I have of it in Oct 1991. No digital cameras and internet to instantly upload the pictures to back then!

SVO 1991.jpg

This is my last post .....
    until my next one.
    I'm banning myself for not paying more attention to my poor SVO. banned.gif

I have been doing some things to the car such as refreshing the tail lights, what a difference! and have the headliner removed to replace.

Just bought some new tires so that should get me moving to tear into the suspension and install the new Koni's. My goal is to get it far enough to pass PA inspection and back on the road even if I have to revisit any issues again later.

Nice to have Mike's Red Baron project posts for reference. I didn't find the strut removal section but pretty sure it's relatively simple.

Just doesn't seem like there has been enough banning here lately so I'm taking one for the team!

Tires.jpg

On the road again...... Sing it Willie!

20171024_160241.jpg

Congrats!

Building Boost
    What are you doing with the headliner, getting a reproduction one, recovering your board or making one from scratch?

Car looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Congrats!
    Thanks, great to be back behind the wheel. I forgot what a fun car it is to drive. Going to keep driving until the snow flies and fix anything that breaks.

I replaced the ignition switch many years back since the gauges wouldn't read full in RUN but would in ACCY. Today I noticed gauges didn't move at all, shut off car, turned key to ACCY, gauges moved, restarted and gauges moved and off I went for a ride! Might try another switch at some point but driving is the main focus now. Even the puff of smoke at start up doesn't bother me at this point. Too many years and miles of driving missed!

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    What are you doing with the headliner, getting a reproduction one, recovering your board or making one from scratch?

Car looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, cars always look better in pictures. Going to recover mine. I have the SMS fabric samples out and need to see if the vinyl is still available. I think I should remove the hatch and make sure everything is sealed up since I think that area is a source of leaks?

Half Boost
    Rod, I got nos vinyl material from sms last year. Ask for a sample first. I told them what I wanted and they sent me a sample of something else. I had to contact them the second time to get the correct sample. It wasn't cheap. Somewhere around $200 for 2 square yards.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Rod, I got nos vinyl material from sms last year. Ask for a sample first. I told them what I wanted and they sent me a sample of something else. I had to contact them the second time to get the correcr sample. It wasnt cheap. Somewhere around $200 for 2 square yards.
    $200????? That's about 5% of the value of my car. Might have to stop by the local fabric shop and pick up some material, maybe something in Hello Kitty print.

Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I replaced the ignition switch many years back since the gauges wouldn't read full in RUN but would in ACCY. Today I noticed gauges didn't move at all, shut off car, turned key to ACCY, gauges moved, restarted and gauges moved and off I went for a ride! Might try another switch at some point but driving is the main focus now.
    Sounds like the gauge regulator - thing on the back of the cluster foil thingie that connects like a V battery. I'm sure I have a pic somewhere.