Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Original Overflow bottle holder finish

Original Overflow bottle holder finish

I'm guessing by the look of the rust coating, the factory finish for the radiator overflow bottle holder was natural?

Yeah mine has that rustic look also. I even cleaned the inside with bleach and cleaner. It still looks rustic.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The bracket, iirc, is bare.

If you want to clean out the bottle, you can try using a media blast of walnut shells or similar without concentrating heavily in any one area. You can also try a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda, & boiling water. That will loosen up some stuff, but the media blast will leave it looking like new.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    The bracket, iirc, is bare.

If you want to clean out the bottle, you can try using a media blast of walnut shells or similar without concentrating heavily in any one area. You can also try a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda, & boiling water. That will loosen up some stuff, but the media blast will leave it looking like new.
    Thanks, the bracket is what I was questioning and thought it was bare (natural).

Bonus points for a great tip on cleaning out the bottle with blasting media. Could the media be mixed w/ water and shook to loosen the crud? Hmmmm

Smile

That's shaken not stirred , is not someone that offer's a new replacement.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

Could the media be mixed w/ water and shook to loosen the crud? Hmmmm
    Could, but you might not get the results you're looking for.

My experience with assorted blasting media in blast cabinets is the blast media must be perfectly dry. Dry walnut shells will absorb some moisture and get oil / grease out of corners and crevices of parts, while other media such as glass or alumina will merely clump and clog.

For the inside of the o/flow bottle you might be able to toss some media into the bottle and shove a semi-sealed air nozzle in there to move it around but it gets complex to let the air out. And it makes a mess.

BTW - HF also sells blast cabinets. Then all you need is a reasonable-sized compressor. Also available at HF.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Thanks for the info, not looking for a mess or clump and clog! I don't have any experience with blast media but hope to get a cabinet some day.

Seems there should be something to put inside and shake. Maybe a 6-32 nut cocktail. Then again maybe the crud is stain which will not come out w/o chemical help. I got mine clean enough with scrubbing and rinsing so the bracket is next.

I know folks use peroxide to whiten yellowed plastic but don't know if that would work on the bottle?

Oxiclean, hydrogen peroxide 3%, H20 and mix in a clear SUNTEA jar. Place in sun for 6 hours.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    Oxiclean, hydrogen peroxide 3%, H20 and mix in a clear SUNTEA jar. Place in sun for 6 hours.

Mark
    That's not how we make Sun Tea in the south! No wonder "you guys" talk so funny!

I would think C L R would work the best for getting out all the gunk.
    The Machine speaks for itself !!

After clean up and more research seems I'm missing the front overflow bottle strap and not 100% sure I have the a correct bracket for the bottle. I'll post some pictures of what I have and maybe other folks with 84's can give some input.

Ends up I had the later style bottle on my car but fortunately I found a correct bottle and bracket from MIKE'SVO.

The bottle cleaned up nicely with some soaking, simple green and elbow grease and the hardware got a nice bath in Evaporust.

Now I'd like to know the correct hardware to go with the later style bottle since I don't think what was with the bottle is correct?

84Overflow.JPG84Overflow2.JPG