Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 9L

My 1986 9L

I realized any trace of my car from my welcome forum thread on SVOCOP was gone a long time ago. Here is the story so far of my 9L starting last summer (my screen name on FEP is 82GTforME and the original thread for this is there) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO!

I purchased this car in July 2013.

Even though they are rare to see in Canada; even back in the day, the SVO had always intrigued me which meant I WANTED ONE! Ever since I had my first car ('81 coupe in '87) I knew of them and wished I could get one. After getting back into working on my '82 and regularly typing "mustang" into Ebay and Kijiji I happened upon what I always wanted! My preference was always the '86.
    This is an original Canadian car and now it comes back to within an hour and a half of it's home dealer. It has 150k KM on it and is in very complete original condition (what I wanted- I didn't want another full blown or even partial project). Original paint, very nice complete cloth interior. I guess a survivor to some. It has been parked since 2007. It needs a little TLC but that I can do. Previous to the guy I bought it from it was shown at some local Alberta car shows. It came with all of the original manuals, a copy of the dealer invoice, the warranty card, the Koni adjuster , even a bunch of SVO club stuff (Canada and US) with numerous copies of The Turbo Times etc.
    There are some small issues I will be asking all of you SVO experts about into the future. First stop? Inspection, insurance and registration!
    Here is a link to the door, buck and warranty card decode thread: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ight=82gtforme
    Enjoy a couple of pictures, more to come!
    These are few and far between around here. It was a seven hour one-way trip to go and get this car! (After seven years parked, yes I took it through the self serve wash on the trailer before unloading it)

I have the missing rear badges. Note the original dealer tag: Dunlop Ford in Lethbridge, AB.

It's like Ying and Yang now:
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

I was busy the first few days.

I started out using a clay bar kit to take off the embedded dust particles and then moved onto a Meguires compound with a drill attachment to take off the oxidation from sitting. I think it sat outside for a few of the seven it was apparently parked before being covered and put in a portable garage. This did a great job in itself. I finished with a hand applied and buffed California Gold liquid wax. What a night and day difference!

Expensive in Canada back in the day!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Just like talking to someone with bad teeth (no offence to those with bad teeth) the yellowed lenses of the headlights attract the eye and IMO look bad.

I decided (with the advice of a co-worker) to do an over the counter lens restore. There was a Permatex brand kit at the local parts store. This kit came with a drill attachment and two steps of very fine wet sanding disks and some polishing compound after. The key to sanding success I noticed was keeping the surface damp and to keep moving whilst sanding. I wasn't expecting a miracle as in the clarity of some new polycarbonate clear lens of course but I think the results are fairly good! One day I'll find a nice replacement set.

There is still a little yellow around the edges that I could probably get by hand sanding.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Made an SVO rookie mistake and painted white on my fog light covers. At least I did a good job:
    I finally finished the exterior polishing and decided to look at a few other things. The Marchal's are really hidden compared to the '82 and the covers a little awkward to unclip but everything was there!
    The lights themselves are very good with minor pitting and they work.

The covers, although original, showed their 150000km age with some minor road abrasion and no white left.

I used the same body rubbing compound I had, buffed them up and with a deft touch, put three coats of matte white model paint I had lying around on. Not perfect or NOS, but not bad for about half an hour! :tu:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

I got the interior all wiped down and did some upholstery cleaning.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Emblems

Not sure if the side ones are in the right spots. I copied the location of the driver's side.

I put on the two emblems that were given to me with the car. I turns out I was still missing one SVO badge.

I put the one SVO on the front quarter so they each had one:

There is a small dent under this emblem and other small indications these emblems were pried off previously with little love.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Timing had me enter a (my very first) local show and shine a few weeks after I got the car.
    Last minute I made up a sign, put some quick stats about the SVO and used my son's music stand. Good timing for us, it was first come first served and we got a spot on a corner.This was the only fox body on the lot!
    There were quite a few people looking at it. Of course everyone tends to gravitate to the big fancy muscle cars though.

It was a long afternoon but it was all good! It looked like there are a lot of people that knew each other and do the show circuits.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Motorcraft Battery

I was looking for a Motorcraft battery for my 82. They apparently weren't available anymore.

I found this thread on FEP which talked about them a little more: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tery-for-86-GT

I don't usually go to the dealer often but on an unrelated trip to the parts counter I asked about this battery. They were in eastern Canada, three days to order one in and $133. Reasonable I thought, so I ordered one for my '82. It is the same part number (BXT-56)for '82-'86 according to them. They are still around (for now). It looks to have a good warranty; three year free replacement and then pro-rated after that to 100 months!
    After I got it, I immediately decided this would go in the SVO! It fits like a glove and looks like it belongs!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Bah, heater core!

So, on my way home from a second show last summer, I was taking a cloverleaf to get on the freeway. I was wearing flip/flops and while going around quick I felt a few drips on my gas pedal foot. Uh oh!
    This looked like trouble.

I decided to bypass the heater core so I could at least get a couple more drives out of it last fall. Of course being stored for the winter, heat won't be an issue.
    Wow, why did I decide to do this with the intercooler on? Not impossible, but much more difficult!

Both of the metal lines connecting to the engine are 5/8" OD. I removed both of the factory hoses and looped a hose to bypass the core.

I did not like the proximity to the turbo and exhaust so I wrapped it with cladding nearest them. Not 100% but it will suffice for now. Ran it until the fan came on; no leaks :tu:
    Oh and they were both the original hoses on the car:

I don't have the time right now to pull a dash and change a heater core. (I still don't!)
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Photo Op

I took some nice pics late last summer and made the FEP calendar (April)!
    The days are getting shorter and nice days and nights will get fewer and less frequent. Living near the foothills of the Rockies allows for some nice backyard to see. Windy, hilly roads through and into the foothills and this car enjoys that! I wanted to get some high quality pictures of my car and this was an opportunity to enjoy an evening jaunt and get the pictures. I would say it was a 20 mile one way from my house to here. I wished it wasn't cloudy, it would have been even more perfect!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

SOme of the Manuals

The 1986 Mustang Owners Manual:

The 1986 Mustang Operating Guide:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

There was also the 1986 Ford New Vehicle Warranty booklet (Canadian-with French from the back) and the warranty card and tag with the original owners name on it. Date of sale: June 3, 1986 So it didn't sit as long as some did with a January build.

Owner/Warranty Card
    1FABP28T8GF190223 = VIN
    B6 = Western Ford of Canada district sales office
    9L = Oxford White exterior paint color
    LA = SVO cloth Articulated Sport seating (L), Charcoal/Grey interior color (A)
    20A = Janaury 20 scheduled build
    W2 = 3.73:1, Traction-Lok (W), T-5 transmission (2)
    6C = electronic search AM/FM stereo cassette (6), sunroof (C)

What appears to be the original supplied maintenance log:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

And the rest...

A dealer supplied maintenance record with the original owners information filled in:

The factory supplied Koni strut adjustment tool with instructions. I don't think it's even been used twice:

There was also this paper envelope with what looks like the information for the wheel lug locks. I don't think you can get one now so don't even think of coming and stealing my wheels.

Awesome stuff. Some one cared for this car for most of it's life!

There was also some other stuff like a dealer added shine protection certificate (guaranteed for the original owner only) and a dealer supplied extended warranty "insurance" pamphlet with application.

All of it nicely kept in a Ford plastic bag (with the mis-spelling) in the glove box:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    Previous to the guy I bought it from it was shown at some local Alberta car shows. It came with all of the original manuals, a copy of the dealer invoice, the warranty card, the Koni adjuster , even a bunch of SVO club stuff (Canada and US) with numerous copies of The Turbo Times etc.
    Here is a bunch of SVO related club stuff that came with the car; correspondance from one PO (I have some correspondence between him and the SVOOA regarding membership, shows etc. There is also an old hand written judging form for this car in his name and a picture of him beside the car!) Provenance!! Plus a few copies of some magazine articles and many of the Turbo Times newsletters and more.

Here is the photo with of the car and that PO in a Mustang Club of America show (from 1991 or 1992). Note the black and red hoods of two other SVO's beside it.

This I hadn't noticed before; the car was bought in July 1990 for $12500 Canadian and already had 96k km on it. That's 60k miles of the 90k miles (151k km) that are currently on the odometer. So only 30k miles in the last 24 years :tu:
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Nice documentation.

Dunlop Tyres???
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    I grew up about 1 mile from this Dunlop Ford Dealership. There is only 2 Ford dealerships in town.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    So, on my way home from a second show last summer, I was taking a cloverleaf to get on the freeway. I was wearing flip/flops and while going around quick I felt a few drips on my gas pedal foot. Uh oh!
    I've had this happen to me in two of my SVOs. On both occasions, it wasn't the heater core but a clogged A/C drain hose. Before you pull the heater core, run a rod up the drain line for the A/C (it is located on the exterior firewall under the A/C drier). It may save you ~10 hours of time and lots of aggravation.
    The drain line is best accessed from below the car. If it is a blocked drain line, water will come pouring out after you run a rod up through the drain line.
    The attached picture shows the A/C drain line where it exits the car.
    BTW, NICE CAR!!!!!
    Dave

IMG_5146.JPG

That's an awesome SVO, glad you bought it and gave it the attention it needed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Nice documentation.

Dunlop Tyres???
    Thanks Mike. Quite lucky I chanced upon this car when I did because it's everything one could hope for. The guy I bought it from was having seller's remorse the day I was on my way to "look at it" so far away. The tires are 225-50/R16 FUZION ZR1 summers that came on it. A quick look has them unavailable now.

Here are a couple of pictures from the Kijiji ad. He also had another 86 1C but this was the gem which was in the back under a portable tent/garage when I picked it up.

IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    That's an awesome SVO, glad you bought it and gave it the attention it needed!!!
    Thanks. Your skills and knowledge of these cars inspire people J. I hope your 'old' 9L has a happy life.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I've had this happen to me in two of my SVOs. On both occasions, it wasn't the heater core but a clogged A/C drain hose. Before you pull the heater core, run a rod up the drain line for the A/C (it is located on the exterior firewall under the A/C drier). It may save you ~10 hours of time and lots of aggravation.
    The drain line is best accessed from below the car. If it is a blocked drain line, water will come pouring out after you run a rod up through the drain line.
    The attached picture shows the A/C drain line where it exits the car.
    BTW, NICE CAR!!!!!
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. The car has had a nice base clear repaint somewhere along the lines but the previous owner must have raced it on the back gravel roads judging by some of the chips on some of the forward facing surfaces. That's another project along with repainting the trim though.

It is the second time I have heard this theory about the plugged AC drain but I didn't think that direction initially as I hadn't even really ran the AC since I had gotten it the month before (and I didn't have a picture to show me where to check it! Thanks!). You've given me food for thought and hopefully an easy way out! I only erred on the side of caution as I still wanted to enjoy the car. If this is the problem I will be one happy (and warm when I need to be) camper. I'll report back hopefully this year.

I'm immersed in another project right now and had to park this car where I rent a garage a couple of miles away to keep me from getting distracted. That and I need the space in my garage right now but this car will get some more attention soon. A double garage is not enough!
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

I've had the SVO out a couple of times so far this spring. I'm working on another project right now and this car can really be distracting so I haven't spent as much quality time with her (I'm glad I have it stored a couple of miles away or I would get nothing else done around here). Some TLC and minor are needed but it is still as reliable and fun as hell (my '82 didn't want to start either )!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT