Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 9L

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    I'm working on another project right now and this car can really be distracting so I haven't spent as much quality time with her (I'm glad I have it stored a couple of miles away or I would get nothing else done around here).
    So my other project was "complete" as of May this spring!!

This allowed for me to spend some time on MY car finally!

So in June, I had the car out a couple of times over the month. The first day I went over to the storage, I see some critter had found a nice dry place to store some food for later! I took a good look through a few things before I fired it up to ensure they never got more creative in their location!

My eldest and I got to take a cruise together back in June in the aforementioned completed project car of his. We had a fun evening! Displacement vs. forced induction

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

I've had a list of things I've wanted to do to this car since I bought it yet have not spent any time on it since the initial stuff right after I got it. I've totally taken advantage of the reliability and driveability of the car since then!
    On the top of my list was to repaint the trim. Based on the oxidation I removed in my initial polish of the (actually) decent base/clear and the headlights, you knew the car had sat outside for a period. When the car was painted, it does not look like the trim had been redone at all. That or it was in decent shape when it was repainted and the sitting was afterwards.
    Regardless, the factory grey trim was faded quite a bit and there was bare urethane and minor deterioration just starting. As I've said before, I love driving this car and it deserves some of my time.
    I also had this to upper bi-wing to install. I can't believe I bought it two and a half years ago. Mine has some just-noticeable sagging and movement when driving plus there was a crack near the mount on one side.
    Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I got something delivered yesterday. I wonder what it could be?

Looks like another project for next year!
    I took my son's car over to my rented storage garage nearby and brought the SVO in around the beginning of July! Time for some updates!

The mounting for the replacement was broken and the stud missing when I opened the packaging on the replacement. I had no idea when I bought it, but what can you do
    I transplanted the stud out of mine. With the magic of JB weld and the texture of the existing material that is in the void made this a very robust fix and quite simple to do.

It looks like the original wing was repaired looking at what came out of the other spoiler. The bosses were broken on both!

A little bit of trial and error as the placement was out very slightly but it worked out good. Note the extra screw hole on the bottom of the upper. It looks like it's factory to me but from what I have learned there should be a tab with a hole in it that goes under the lower spoiler and it's top screw goes through them both. C'est la vie! I decided I needed to use the holes. The reason the old upper never held too fast was that it's tab was broken also and the bottom was never fastened and I never even knew it!

Sanded and ready for some primer There look to have been a few different colors over it's life! Now onto the rest!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

So after just completing a full project and knowing what (I think) the scope of this project is I start removing items:
    Rear spoiler, front and back window trim, mirrors, dew wipes, cowl etc. I was thinking originally that the window trim would be a quick spray from the outside. What I hadn't really given much thought to was how it was actually painted from the factory.
    It wraps all the way around the inside of the door jamb and the window frames. To expose it all you need to remove door panels, window seals and loosen the rear quarter panel to remove most of the door seals. I can see how these small "projects" get out of hand!
    Good thing I have a lot of recent experience with this, so it did go that much quicker!
    I think this is most of it...

You can see how faded things looked in the sunlight. You could see the black plastic of the upper in a couple places and there wasn't much left on the cowl either.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Prep And Painting

As I had said, there was little paint left in places. On the body side of the quarter window molding beside the sail panel as well as the top of the driver's door frame there was a little surface rust due to how it was worn off. I removed the rust and sanded down all of the body portions. I then used some Eastwood rust encapsulator over all of these areas prior to top coating.
    I had one moulding on the front that I had to replace due to a rock dent but overall the window trim was in good repaintable shape. I removed the dew wipes from the moulding to properly prep and paint them.

I did some research on the proper grey that the SVO's used and there was a recommendation that Late Model Resto has a pre-mixed aerosol available. LMR cannot ship this product to Canada though so I went through the only supplier around here that deals with them and got three cans brought in (two years ago!).

After prepping the trim I thought I would give the back sides a little paint. I soon realized that I would not have enough! I knew it would take a while to get more in so I decided to get the SEM recommendation which was the alternative to the LMR product. A quick comparison and of course they dont match well enough to use side by side. Good thing I never proceded with final coating anything.
    I ended up having to wait a couple of days to get to the body shop supply store during the week but was successful.

Here are the two products. I went with the SEM (which I ended up thinking was a better match anyways):

In the meantime I repainted the antenna and wiper arms black as they are supposed to be.

This is what the rear bumper cover looked like. Getting pretty worn!

Plus the final prepping on the car:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

The trim, lower spoiler and loose parts I was good with just sanding and painting with the SEM paint.

The newer upper and the bumper strips needed some help I figured. It took a little more prepping to even get them looking good enough spray onto. I decided I would mix up and spray some 2K primer I had from my previous project This way I would maybe avoid any adhesion or deterioration issues in the future! A little more prep and seal and we were done with that!

After that was getting to some spraying. Tough getting a good finish with the rattle can. Tough when we were in the middle of two weeks of at least some rain every day (and I painted it outside in between! The SEM to me seems a little runny and you need to be careful not to put down too much. Lucky to be painting mainly skinny, one pass items. The lower spoiler took a couple of extra coats due to some striping I got when I tried to rush when I ran out of paint and had to get more the following day!

In the future, if I ever had to do this again, I would get paint color matched, mixed and then spray with the gun. SEVEN (7) cans of that stuff! Plus they are a more $ than the SEM trim black can and smaller cans to boot! Seven was just enough actually (okay some part did get a few extra coats)!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Definitely a lot of work by the time it was all said and done! I am glad that I took the time to do it right and do all of it (I have not done the rocker moulding nor the bottom of the rear spat at this time...yet).

Here are some pictures of the finished products reinstalled on the car.

Here is an example of the before and after differences between old and redone. This is a mirror housing I used the mirror out of as a replacement for a non-functioning remote but is close to the look of the trim on this car before repainting.

This is the trim that was on the car and you can see the amount of fading!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Here are a few outdoor pictures after the trim was painted. It seems I have a tendency to take a majority of my pictures from the same side or angle.

I like this one the best:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

More upgrades with some stockpiled parts!

So of course while the trim painting was going on, I was working on some other interior improvements!

I had gotten a better replacement shift boot and shifter knob a couple of years ago. The glue had detached from the washer and the boot and the knob weren't the best to look at anymore.

The console had to come out to get at the boot properly. I had some rattling coming from the dash/console area and could never really isolate it. Not that I had really looked hard- I just loved to drive it and never spent a lot of time making improvements!

As soon as I start I see some change under the ashtray:

Once I pull the console off I find almost $8 in change (we have dollar and two dollar coins here) plus some party favors :fp: I wonder how long that has been under there?!

After successfully replacing the boot and knob and putting the console back in I moved onto the steering wheel.

The original wheel was worn pretty good (it did have the horn pad):

The first replacement which was way better to look at than the original but still not perfect:

The new wheel is a releather from Bob Tweedy in Montana. What a great guy to deal with. I know he had talked about retiring so I am glad I got this done last year when I did.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Halo headrests!

More parts I was lucky to find and buy two years ago! They are in fantastic shape and were even the right colour!

I had a bit of a hard time removing the passenger side but managed with a few scrapes and a few new words for the vocabulary!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Vintage alarm system.

This car had an alarm system in it when I got it. Clearly a vintage set up that included a PAGER!

I had removed the siren from under the hood when I got it just for aesthetics.

While I had the console out, I contemplated on whether it should stay or whether I should pull it out. I never did try it to see if it worked even. It probably did for all I know.

Regardless, I made the decision to pull it all out, including the wiring.
    Nothing too crazy to it. It was in series with the antenna so if someone pulled the stereo out, it would trigger. There was a plunger switch for the hood and it was also connected to the interior light circuit.
    The part I never noticed before was there was a magnetic switch on each door. These I ended up leaving as it so as not to disturb them but I did pull the wiring out that went to them.

While following the wires to the interior light circuit, I found a repair and bypass of a plug near the passenger foot well under the dash. Oh well.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Bi-Wing supports

My previous upper wing did have a bit of movement to it while driving and shook up and down over bumps and rough road.
    It may have mainly due to the improper fastening but regardless, I wanted to get some supports. There are a few options including the ones available on NPD (that I believe were invented/made by a member of SVOCA?). That and some other plastic ones.

Mike Martinelli (n20capri on FourEyedPride) has some good info on his website always (http://www.mikemartinelli.com/) but there was something new. A link to his personal design for supports made through a third party 3D printing place; Shapeways.

I ordered two to give them a chance as they look more natural (and are much cheaper) than the metal ones.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/LXB...ionId=40619849

They arrived a couple of weekends ago.

I primed and painted them charcoal like the rest of the trim.

The intention from Mike was to use two sided tape to fix them to the glass and wing but I didn't have any of the right kind around. I opted to use some industrial velcro I had laying around. I had used this MANY years ago to fix the louvers on my '82 to the glass and NEVER had any issues.

Here is the finished product. These really firm things up and seem very secure. For the limited driving the car gets, these are perfect for what I need!

Last edited by FoxBuddy; 08-06-2016 at 07:57 AM.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Moving under the hood.

One of the last areas this year was to get at a few outstanding things in the engine bay.

After I had gotten the car three years ago I had isolated a rattle to the pins on the intercooler brackets.

The plan was to remove the intercooler brackets and use new, heavier hoses that support it. I had trouble finding the recommended Napa hoses here for a good price (the local Napa only sold it in 3' lengths). Another member in the US picked some up and sent me the right lengths...THREE YEARS AGO! (Thanks MAPSVO!)

Two years ago, I changed the distributor cap and rotor (which made a difference in the way the engine ran) but I never did the plugs and wires (which have sat in a box since then) due to the intercooler in the way.

That brings us to now. The intercooler actually comes off pretty darned easy. The finish is still in very good shape for this one!

The car still retained what looked like the original hoses!

Here are the brackets off. Hard to tell visually whether the male end on these brackets are worn or the bushing on the engine bracket but either way there was definitely play in them to cause an irritating vibration/rattle!

After that was off it was time for the plugs. This is when I noticed something slightly amiss. "One of these things is not like the others"!

The number three spark plug is different than the other three! Whomever changed them last time couldn't get at it and left it! Maybe it was the original plug that's been in there 90,000 miles??

I went with these NGK Iridium plugs based on other's recommendations. I sure everyone has an opinion but I got these based on forum info on the internet and what is available locally. I'm sure they cant be bad. I gapped at 0.035" and ran these wires I'd been holding onto for a few years also!

Not sure 100% on the routing for a 4-cylinder but I guess there are only so many ways.

Check more things off the list :tu:

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Random stuff!

I had a replacement hood to intercooler seal bought three years ago also that I finally got changed out!

The passenger side engine splash sheild was also missing. I thought that all of these were the same but it looks like the four cylinder cars and their long bracketed sway bars are different :hsrun:
    I had some spares around and cleaned up the bottom one in this picture before relaizing when I attempted to install it that it wont work.
    The driver's side I have is like this upper one. Luckily I had one of that kind, cleaned it up and put it on

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Headlight replacement.

Also a couple of years ago, I had hoarded a very good set of used headlights. Another member on FEP needed some lights so I decided to bite the bullet and switch the ones on the car out and ship them out.
    It was another thing (like removing the intercooler) that was easier than I thought it would be.
    Everything for the swap went off without a hitch. I went out at night to do the final adjustments which seemed okay but when I got into the garage I noticed the driver side light seemed loose at the bottom when I grabbed it to give it a wiggle. I thought somehow the retainer clip had came loose from there.
    A little investigating showed me a home repair that no longer works! I never noticed it earlier as the light frame sat in front of it and it did not seem loose. See the wraps of wire that are around the light bulb frame stud?

I couldn't beleive my eyes when I got it pulled apart! Pretty good damage to the header panel with material missing and one light frame mount broken!
    The boss that's broken to hook to the rad support wasn't broken. It broke when I was trying to get the material to line back up around the hole

Needless to say, I am inexperienced with fibreglass, didn't have any here and I am unsure if it would have worked in this case or not. I went to my Red Green special fixer: JB weld.
    With the size of the void and the detached pieces, this had to be done in stages. The broken mount boss to the header and a new piece of sheet metal bent to fit where the light frame on the right attaches.

On the left there was cracked material also so I went over it also to add some strength. The mount to the rad support was done up loosely but enough to hold it secure while it set.

So far so good. Step two was to add some more reinforcement pieces and add material to the previously done spots it possible. Note the stress that was on this whole area did not allow me to line the overlap up in the center of the light hole. It had to stay where it was otherwise, I would be frustrated trying to get it lined up when it wouldn't without a fight!

I know it's not the prettiest and best fix but with the adhesive cured, everything feeling quite secure and stable. I then put everything back together. No wonder I never really noticed when I had the light out before.

These were the lights that were in the car. The lighting seems to make them clearer and cloudier. These never looked this bad on the car IMO.

The replacements I had gotten were in very good condition :tu:

When I got the car, it had looked like it had bumped into something. From the exterior, it really didn't look too bad other than the cracked paint (the picture doesn't show the cracking well) and the starting to chip white paint. Clearly that was a poor estimation as it must have taken a good bump to crack and damage the paint that much. Looking up from underneath at the bumper mount, it doesn't look bent but judging but by the paint marks on it, it does looks to have been pushed in 2-3 inches on impact and then back out :fp:
    When I get my parts car stripped down, I hope to find a good header panel that now will one day get transplanted into this car but this inconspicuous repair should be good for a little bit in the least. I know they can be hard and not cheap to find!

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

All together again!

While under the hood, I did some dusting, cleaning and detailing. Well as best as you can with most everything in the car
    I really only pulled out the fan, overflow bottle and battery tray. I re-loomed a few wires and rerouted a couple of wires and hoses near the wiper motor. Is has some minor damage around the tray from what looks like battery acid damage.

I also pulled off the rad brackets and air filter cover to repaint. Boy did the brackets need it! I had to wait to put it all back together until I got the header "fix" done.
    Not sure how much time I will have for more work before the big Labour Day show myself and my son's Tangerine coupe are in but a quick interior vacuum and detail again would be first. I'm glad I managed to get all of this done so quick! Who says hoarding parts is a bad thing

Last edited by FoxBuddy; 08-06-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Sweet! LOTS of work there - not to mention the work documenting all of it.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Pure awesomeness! Thanks for sharing... And motivating! Heater core here I come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Looking really great, nice work!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Really does !! Funny I had to look at all the posts/photos to see "time frame" for this ! I know you get the same about of "summer" to work as we do in MI LOL.
    Looks like you have been rocking and rolling lately.

Mark
    P.S. Got confused on the photos of the fog light covers though ...............you added WHITE to look like the service parts avail in the late 90's??? (like that better?)

My 1986 9L

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Sweet! LOTS of work there - not to mention the work documenting all of it.
    Thanks Mike. I like to document things for my own knowledge mainly because I'm kind of still learning about cars in general after many years of hiatus.
    I may keep and even post some boring, mundane stuff but it helps me recall better for when I need to repeat! It may even inspire others. It helps me to learn by reading and watching so the more correct info out there the better.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimucho View Post
    Pure awesomeness! Thanks for sharing... And motivating! Heater core here I come!
    Thanks for the comments! But ugh. I have my heater core bypassed right now too! It actually crossed my mind while I had the console, dash pad and A pillar trim out to do it but...I've pulled a dash at the pick and pull but never had to put on back in so I'm a little apprehensive to start. I didn't want to tie the car up too long this year. One day...

Good luck! Let is know if you're successful!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    Really does !! Funny I had to look at all the posts/photos to see "time frame" for this ! I know you get the same about of "summer" to work as we do in MI LOL.
    Looks like you have been rocking and rolling lately.

Mark
    P.S. Got confused on the photos of the fog light covers though ...............you added WHITE to look like the service parts avail in the late 90's??? (like that better?)
    I'd have to check my photo dates but I think all of the work took me about three to four weeks in July. I had all of the parts all stashed together and pretty much ready for this burst other than the paint. My recent first major project experience gave me the ability to go much quicker than the first time I did many tasks; trim removal, prep, mask, painting and more.

The covers was an assumption I had made when I had first gotten the car. I'm new to svo's three summers ago and never knew. I thought all would've had the white and guessed mine had eroded off.

Bluemax corrected me after I did it on FEP and I never forgot I did take the time in between times last month to remove the paint. Better eh?

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT