Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 9L

The one and only show appearance this year. The local Alberta Mustang Auto Club (AMAC) hosted the 37th International Mustang Meet this past weekend with the show on Saturday.

It was myself and this 85.5 in the 84-86 (all) category. In the end he took the award (participant voting).

I am getting better knowing what I am looking at and know my car was stock where his had some modifications. He had a fresher, more obvious shine to the paint and had repolished wheels that set it off. Ah well. Next year, the IMM #38 is held in Helena, Montana.

This 84 was parked in the spectator parking area. I have seen it for sale on Kijiji up here recently.

Yesterday, I went on one of four cruise/sight seeing tours that were held. This one had 48 cars in it and we did around a 60-70 mile circuit into the foothills of the Rockies. The weather wasn't the greatest but it was fun.

Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Guys, I haven't updated in a bit and don't visit as much as I used to but the car is still here and I am always picking away!

This happened prior to the show above and ended 2016. Originally posted on FEP!

After this work in the engine bay was done I had a small cold start up issue. I had needed to adjust the throttle plate set screw in order to have the car run. It also was not doing a "high idle" at cold start.
    The car did not have any operational issue after starting and warming up.
    After digging into it (slowly while enjoying the car after my work on it ) it turns out that the plug was undone to the idle air control solenoid (IAC) and I really do not remember undoing it.
    I plug it in and voila, instant change on start-up. The only problem was by me adjusting the throttle plate earlier, I needed to recalibrate the throttle plate and the TPS.
    The guys (Especially Mike Fleming) at SVOCOP help settle me down and get it done once I got my head around what to do. This is new territory for me again but after doing it, it all makes more sense on how it operates.

It seems that most who have splash guards on their Fox Mustangs have the same style we all know.
    The ones that were on my SVO were different. Mainly the back ones but I really liked them. I also liked them because they had cool "TURBO" graphic decals on them
    They show their age and wear and tear though. The front ones were mainly gone and the back were mostly intact but had some cracks and lifting.

As I stated, I liked them and wanted to keep them so I searched for the brand I found molded into the back ones: "PowerFlow Model 3". I actually find one pair on eBay. Typical problem; too much money really when you count the extra to get it to Canada and they couldn't guarantee the decals were in the package either.

I see the fronts are pretty universal and are model 4 if anyone is looking for some now
    Second choice was to get some custom decals made. I went to a local graphic artist place that do signs, posters, trade show displays etc. but they also do decals. I took the rear flap with me to them. They looked at it and said, sure we can do that. $50 minimum charge due to the printer and/or size of paper. She took the measurements she needed, they took my $50 up front and they called me in a week.
    This is what I ended up with. They got three pairs out of it for my money. I think that wasn't too bad actually. Plus they look to be very good quality :tu:

I ended up doing the front ones in place. Who ever installed them had riveted them on and I didn't need to bother disturbing them.

(Notice I polished the wheels too :tu: ^^. A little TLC showed!)
    I had contemplated customizing the script on them to "SVO" or something but never pursued it early enough.
    A couple of weeks ago, I went for a cruise around the city with about eight other cars and the four left after went to really the only place where "car people" go. It's a lot of the tuner groups, imports etc., the odd muscle car but it was packed.
    I ended up leaving right away because there was nowhere to really park but about a mile away a young guy in his 90's-2000s BMW pulls up to me at a red light. He looks and asks "is that all original?". I say "pretty much" other than the exhaust. He sees the decal on the splash guard and goes "I never knew they made turbo's of those". When the light turned green, I think I surprised him enough he'll remember they made turbos of these!

For the last while since that show, I have been side-tracked with repairing some front end damage on a 79 coupe I had restored. It took me over a year and a half after the frame work was done!

2017 was a year that not much happened. Doing the work on the 79 coupe kept me from much. Good thing was, I didn't really have much to do. The car was running well. I drove it here and there. Not as much as I had hoped but always happy when it starts right up!

I replaced the cracked around the screw driver's side switch bezel. Finish on the repro isn't really the same...

Went on an hour and a half trip to Red Deer mid-summer to an "Alberta Foxbody Canada" meet/dyno. Halfway between Calgary and Edmonton. Met a guy who I had seen pics of the car of from Edmonton. 1986 7B. US car imported to Canada. Nice car, nice guy :tu:

Summer city drive stop.

Fall drive stop.

Other than a smile on my face, nothing really was up in 2017...

2018!

The main local Mustang club I belong to and go to the odd meeting and show always do the local World of Wheels and for the last number of years win the club display. This year they were asking for large good quality images. If we paid $50 we would get a 36" x 36" laminated print.

This was the final image I submitted. It was an older picture before all of the latest trim fixes but it was still really good. It was used along with a bunch of other member cars for the display. I ended up putting it up on my basement computer room wall to see every time I walk by it :tu:

They had a Monopoly theme to the display this year. I do not know what square I was although it doesn't look like I am on the cheap side of the board :o Likely not Boardwalk or Park Place I'm sure I never went down in person this year nor did I help the club with the display.

Maybe one year a fox will adorn their display

Other 2018 stuff!

With having the rework on the Tangerine coupe ongoing, these was not a lot of opportunity to do any "major" work on the SVO last year.

I finished the 79 finally last week and found the time to wake up the SVO in June from the extra long slumber this past winter! This car always starts easily for me! Check the fluids, remove the coil wire, crank to get some oil pressure and then vroom...no issues!

I brought the SVO home and took the 79 to the garage I rent to park for a bit.

2018 Yo Do list

As usual, I have been gathering needed parts over the last couple of years to eventually get to one day.

On the list:
    - Front pads and rotors. I knew these needed to be done.
    - Rear pads. Turn the rotors if needed
    - Oil and filter change
    - Fuel filter
    - Oil pressure sender. The gauge reads quite high most of the time.
    - Coolant temp sensor. Coolant gauge temperature seems inaccurate to the actual temp and fan on point.
    - Front hood emblem (maybe as I really would like to do rock chips or repaint the front cover and hood front first)

Brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    On the list:
    Early last week, I pulled the front apart to get started on the work.
    It was so tempting to jump in and start cleaning and detailing every little thing but I know I cannot spend the time this go around. This is a get in and get done endeavour! Well, maybe a little cleaning...

Everything came apart as expected. I did notice I am missing the anti-rattle bracket for the front passenger side and have a broken back one!

- Front pads. I knew these needed to be done.
    I knew I was not getting the best results out of these and knew the rotors were not true. These were like this when I got it. They look to be the original front rotors. Wow are they wavy!

The back rotors look good but I will take them in for a resurface to be sure.

Brake debacle!

Well, Mr. Smarty that I am buying things months if not years in advance have an issue with the front pads I bought from RockAuto last year.

Here I thought I would get everything back together in short order

I expected that RockAuto would have been accurate and thought I had done my homework These Motorcraft BR7B seem to be for 83-93 Mustangs and all engines now that I dig deeper. Just not the SVO...The back were correct.

I searched again and still had a hard time getting accurate info online. I decided to search up the part number in my parts book and found the page.
    Front F0ZZ-2001-A and rear F0LY-2200-A :tu:

The bonus is that I found some on eBay for a reasonable price! Now I wait for them...

In the meantime, I went as far as I could. The bearings all seemed good once cleaned up. I repacked them and put the hubs back together.

I noticed looking closer that all of the original Koni's are still on the car although the front passenger strut may have a small leak. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Oh, and I found what looks to be a part of the original front spring label that somehow survived wedged in the splash shield.

As usual, I have been gathering needed parts over time to eventually get to one day.

On the list:
    - Oil and filter change
    - Oil pressure sender. The gauge reads quite high most of the time.
    While awaiting the pads to arrive, last weekend I hit a some things on the list :tu:

The usual oil change. I have not driven the car too far since I have owned it but hadn't changed the oil in a couple of seasons.
    In with the new!

While I was underneath I thought I would scrape and wipe a bit. It looks like at least the oil pan drain plug was leaking for a bit and spraying back underneath.
    Photo op. Better than it was and maybe I can see where I do have leaks :|

Since I had the car, I had noted that the oil pressure gauge was not reading correctly. Not believable to be that high and nothing actually be noticeably wrong with the car
    This is what I would typically see.

Replacement sender. Different finish Same patent markings. I think I will search for at least a gold cad coated one.

I decided to put on a mechanical gauge to confirm pressures prior to installing the sender.

Cold idle.

Operating temperature idle.

I removed the gauge and installed the sender. Now it's just right :tu:

Coolant Sender

As usual, I have been gathering needed parts over time to eventually get to one day.
    On the list:
    - Coolant temp sensor. Coolant gauge temperature seems inaccurate to the actual temp and fan on point.
    It's funny. I had to look around to find the sensor on the engine. As stated, I had questioned the fan operation and temperature switch in relation to the gauge reading. A couple of summers ago, I had got into slow freeway traffic on a warm afternoon and noted the gauge creeping up and making me nervous. I had tried to check the fan operation and only knew that it at least would come on. I just wasn't happy with what the gauge said when it did.

Amazing how many different ones of these things there are to buy on the market. Different colours, temps etc. I found the right one at least.

I had noted last year after storage that I had a small coolant leak but I could not find it. While underneath and doing the cleaning I did I noted a drip on the started and found the turbo coolant return hose was the culprit!

What a tough place to reach too! Good thing I can get in there other wise the starter and maybe more would have to come off!

I drained the coolant and pulled the sensor. Filled it and fired it back up again to test.

I let it run until the fan came on. Temps were reasonable with the infrared gun and the gauge read this when it kicked in. Before I had seen it creep to the line at least. Another small task done :tu:

On the list:
    Speaking of rotors... I took the ones off the car in and they machined them all. The rears were well within spec.

I installed the replacement front rotors I bought thinking (knowing) they were bad but they were okay to machine per spec. So I have a spare set... should I Evapo-Rust them for future?

So I got the pads a bit ago and installed them with little fanfare.

The front; no issues other than bending the pad tangs to go into the pistons:

The rear pistons were a little tough to get turning with the cheap tool. The passenger side was a real *itch. The holes were stretched previously making the tool useless.

Bonus is the NOS pad set came with a replacement anti-rattle bracket to replace the broken one I had.

I ended up using my 14" offset pipe wrench to catch the outer edge and turn the piston in. No damage to the boot but what a pain. It would not retract any more and was still seemingly real tight putting it back onto the rotor.

Give me a brake.

During the installation of the pads, I decided to change the fluid out. Gravity drained most of it and used the vacuum pump after. Lastly used another person to press the pedal to ensure all of the air was out.

Back passenger had a little amount of solids come out initially but nothing too alarming.

I have driven the car a handful of times since the pad change.

First trip out after bedding the pads and rotors, I went for around 10-15 miles around the neighbourhoods to check the feel out. I ended up with really hot rotors and wheels especially the front drivers was HOT. Wheel hot to the touch hot. Not good. I let it cool, took it apart and found nothing wrong. Tried it again and it is fine. The piston must have stuck for a bit. Whew.

The last few times out though the back passenger side rotor and wheel are warming up. Not as bad as the front was the first day but I was still concerned. I took it all apart and again, everything looks okay. Still slight warming - above normal at least when comparing to the other wheels. It just feels like there is a little more resistance and dragging than there should be. The car rolls but not as easy as one would think. The e-brake is all the way backed off too.

Not sure if there is anything I can really do. Do you think they will wear in and this is just a break in period? I will take it apart one more time in order to clean and grease to ensure the pads are moving freely and not jamming and maintaining contact with the rotor.

If it was all easy, this would be no fun right?

It looks like at least the oil pan drain plug was leaking for a bit and spraying back underneath.
    Photo op. Better than it was and maybe I can see where I do have leaks.

Well, the coolant leak is fixed as well as the oil pan plug is good. With it being cleaner plus in my garage to look for any leaks sooner after running it, I have found the last culprit.

Looks like it may be the rear seal. Not a deal breaker right now and not something I am inclined to fix in the short term. The car runs strong and I can live with this for now :tu:

Lots of great info, thanks for sharing.

Looks like the date code on the Koni is '87?

I had a oil leak that appeared to be the rear main seal. Every place that can leak oil will end up right there were it appears to be the rear main seal. Mine turned out to be from several places. The valve cover breather, the oil feed line for the turbo fitting elbow into the center housing was just enough to drip slightly down the return line then drip to the oil pan rail. The heat from the turbo burned the oil off the center housing so you did notice it. It didn't leak at idle because the pressure was low at idle. Driving with the oil pressure higher is when it would weep. I now use liquid teflon sealer on elbow fittings. Stopped the leaks.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Lots of great info, thanks for sharing.

Looks like the date code on the Koni is '87?
    Thanks and good eye Rod.

Looking at the two closeups I have of the front Koni's is they both are stamped 10-2-87. Door tag has a 01-86 date on it. Clearly they must have been replaced at some time not long after new.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    I had a oil leak that appeared to be the rear main seal. Every place that can leak oil will end up right there were it appears to be the rear main seal. Mine turned out to be from several places. The valve cover breather, the oil feed line for the turbo fitting elbow into the center housing was just enough to drip slightly down the return line then drip to the oil pan rail. The heat from the turbo burned the oil off the center housing so you did notice it. It didn't leak at idle because the pressure was low at idle. Driving with the oil pressure higher is when it would weep. I now use liquid teflon sealer on elbow fittings. Stopped the leaks.
    Thanks for that. It may be further up like you say. I have not been in behind the valve cover and head to see back there up close but it could be. One day this will be rebuilt so I can live with a little leak for now.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Building Boost
    Just read the complete project thread. Thanks for the attention to detail and illustrating the work you did so clearly. Your SVO is especially nice. The amount of documentation you have truly is remarkable. The previous owner really did care for this car. I had a black '84 purchased from original owner who promised to include documentation that I never received, I am still bitter about that. BTW, the '79 coupe is also a really nice car.

I have neglected updating this post about the car but the car isn't neglected. See below updates I posted to FEP

After doing the brakes, I find they work great! I still feel more resistance to rolling than I think there should be plus I have an intermittent clicking and squeaking from the front passenger wheel. With other things going on I haven't had the time to look into it too deeply again. It will remain on the to-do list.

With the brake noise noted above and Tangerine coupe on the road too, driving seemed limited.

Some highlights and photo ops.

2018 Continued

A couple more doing car and storage shuffling!

Come on 2019! :tu:

[/QUOTE]