Thread: I dont see a forum for the T5?

I dont see a forum for the T5?

Anyone have any tips on how to adjust a clutch on this car?
    I have my motor working excellent now.
    Went to move the car backwards last night and I have no clutch.
    This car was a basket case a short while ago and All that was installed was the long block and the trans. The guy I had bought the car from said the clutch looked fine and I was inclined to believe him but did not inspect it for myself.
    I originally had a problem with the new clutch Cable he had installed being about 1.5" away from where the loop hooked to the shifting fork assembly and was concerned about putting to much Preload on the pressure plate. The peddles were in a more even relationship before I had pulled up on the peddle.
    I did not want to take out the thrust bearing in the motor, so I was instructed to pull up hard on the clutch peddle to release the adjustment so the cable eye and the linkage it hooked to were more in relationship with each other.
    Now no clutch.
    On most cars the shifting cable has a threaded end and you would tighten a not to adjust, that is not the case here and I am stumped.
    The guy I bought the car from said the motor was rebuilt, it was. Most everything he had told me was correct but he also told me he owned the car 10 years and never finished putting it back together. I'm hoping that this issue is something that I can remedy with an adjustment.
    He said the clutch looked new. I would like to think he was being honest and really I am not here to debate that, just want to try and get this ford running and driving before it starts snowing for the next 5 months.I had mentioned in another post that the trans shifted into gear without the car running. Any help is appreciated

Well I'll be...
    You are correct, there isn't a specific forum section for the T-5/gearbox. For that reason we'll have to ban Fleming.
    We do have info linked on the home page for the T-5:

http://www.svocop.com/Articles/6/T5-ID.html.

As for adjustment, the only adjustment for the stock clutch is via the clutch pedal. You should be able to pull up on the pedal slightly, either with your foot or your hand, then push down with foot or hand to adjust. This engages the ratchet mechanism (pawl) on the clutch quadrant to adjust minor slack in the cable. That occurs due to stretching over time. If you can't do that, you may need to check to see if the quadrant is even installed. It is behind the dash & above the pedal on a bracket attached to the dash & firewall.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    Well I'll be...
    You are correct, there isn't a specific forum section for the T-5/gearbox. For that reason we'll have to ban Fleming.
    We do have info linked on the home page for the T-5:

http://www.svocop.com/Articles/6/T5-ID.html.

As for adjustment, the only adjustment for the stock clutch is via the clutch pedal. You should be able to pull up on the pedal slightly, either with your foot or your hand, then push down with foot or hand to adjust. This engages the ratchet mechanism (pawl) on the clutch quadrant to adjust minor slack in the cable. That occurs due to stretching over time. If you can't do that, you may need to check to see if the quadrant is even installed. It is behind the dash & above the pedal on a bracket attached to the dash & firewall.
    It does seem that I have peddle, but what exactly am I looking for?

Pull up on the peddle, should require mild force, & you should feel a ratcheting. If you don't have that, then it is either missing the clutch quadrant, the quadrant is broken, or it has been replaced with a non ratcheting quadrant. If you have a non ratcheting quadrant, you will need a firewall adjuster.
    You can also lay down in the driver floor board & look up & you should see a whiteish plastic quadrant that the clutch cable connects to.
    You may find pics of said quadrant is you review the build threads for Fleming's Red Barron.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I would create a T5 section but I was banned. I hate it when that happens.

There may be a sectin in the Red baron thireads about installing the pedal assy, I forget. I also have a NOS quadrant assy. in the shop somewhere.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Did I mention that my clutch peddle sits around 3" higher than brake peddle. Is there an adjustment for that?
    Im sure that is not right.
    I removed the drivers seat and manually actuated the adjuster by depressing the peddle and holding the quadrant in place when I pulled the peddle back up no ratcheting going on..
    The good news is the trans shifts just fine, the bad news is Im pretty sure the clutch is done.
    The clutch slips under load and engages and disengages about an inch off the floor. So I would think that if I added any more adjustment up on the quadrant that it would slip worse than it does now. If I take adjustment out I would think the clutch would not work at all. Not to mention my auto adjuster does not work on its own at all.
    How do I disengage the clutch adjuster to start over? I pull up on the peddle and nothing happens I even took the cable off the trans, still pulling up on the peddle does nothing..
    Im going to order a clutch unless someone has a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I would create a T5 section but I was banned. I hate it when that happens.

There may be a sectin in the Red baron thireads about installing the pedal assy, I forget. I also have a NOS quadrant assy. in the shop somewhere.
    Don't beat yourself up!! LOL
    You guys have a huge amount of useful info on this site and it has been paramount in my getting this car where it is now.
    Here is the pic of the peddle position it does seem kinda high in caparison doesn't it?

Does this peddle make my svo look fat?
    Last edited by soldthedart; 10-02-2014 at 07:00 AM.

My '84 is this way and has been since I bought it. Guess I'll take a look and compare to a correct one on my '86

Noob
    I have an 84 and that is the correct height of the clutch pedal. In fact maximum Motorsports makes a part to lower the height, I purchased one but have yet to install it.
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Cl...2-93-P501.aspx