Thread: Cam selection: Esslinger 2277 or Boport 1.9?

Noob

Cam selection: Esslinger 2277 or Boport 1.9?

Apologies if this was covered previously, but my search didn't turn up a comparison.

Wondering if anyone has tried both the Esslinger 2277 cam and the Boport 1.9 (or stage 2.1) cams? I've got the opportunity now to change the cam before I install my aluminum D-port head (ported and polished by Esslinger), but was wondering if one was preferred over the other? I've got a 2.5 liter stroker, so that should help with the lopey-ness a bit, but I still want a cam that makes strong power but still delivers good vacuum. Back when I purchased the head, the Esslinger 2277 was the cam to have, but now with Boport creating cams, I'd appreciate any advice as to why one is better than the other.

Half Boost
    I have the 2.1 and it is a street cam for sure. No lope at idle and runs out of poop at around 6000 rpm straight up. The 2277 is a pull to 7500 or more? Mike will fill you in on this. Don't know if you get good vacuum with the Essy. That said don't order a cam from Bo. If you want one get it used or have one custom ground by someone else!

Building Boost
    I have the 1.9 and no lope, or very little. Pulls from about 3000 through 6500 very hard. I replaced an A237 with the 1.9, big difference.

I've got a 2277 if you want to try that. Unfortunately there's not much power or response available below 3800/4000 even with 2.5L of displacement. OTOH, it'll easily pull really strong from 4-8K, if you have the negine to spin that fast. If you're staying below 6500, then it's kinda a waste.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    That said don't order a cam from Bo. If you want one get it used or have one custom ground by someone else!
    I appreciate the feedback! Not sure if you can expand on why not to order from Bo? If a PM is better, I'd appreciate any input. I know he's slammed for work (hence why my head isn't over there right now...)

If anyone knows of a Boport 2.1 cam that's available for purchase, please send them my way!

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I've got a 2277 if you want to try that. Unfortunately there's not much power or response available below 3800/4000 even with 2.5L of displacement. OTOH, it'll easily pull really strong from 4-8K, if you have the negine to spin that fast. If you're staying below 6500, then it's kinda a waste.
    Thanks for the input. I have the 2277 also - still unused. But yeah, I don't intend for the SVO to have power characteristics of a Honda S2000. LOL - after driving a TDI for the last few years, I actually am enjoying not revving much at all! But in my build, the bottom end should be good for 7K+ RPM, but I'd like to make power over a broader power band - i.e. 2800-7000 RPM. That said, sounds like the 2277 isn't the right bump stick for me.

That said, sounds like the 2277 isn't the right bump stick for me.
    I concur.

Unfortunately Bo products are mostly unobtainable these days.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Unfortunately Bo products are mostly unobtainable these days.
    If you want one of Bo's grinds, you can call up Schneider Cams and tell them what grind you want and they can supply it.

The 2.1 I have in the BB has a very broad powerband. On the racetrack you rarely have to shift, plenty of torque on tap all the time.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.