Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: new 195 thermostat but still no heat

Building Boost

new 195 thermostat but still no heat

This thread is for the wife's blue svo. I replaced the 180 degree thermostat that was installed in the motor with a 195 one and it still only produces very little heat at all. I first did a flush before removing the old thermostat and all hoses appear fine as does the waterpump. I drained the flush material and flushed with water 2 more times. The radiator is a 2 core and I believe the cap is holding pressure. Refilled the system with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and deionized water and now the car runs in the "a" range of "normal where as before is was more in the "r" range.

Going up north for work after the 1st and would like heat for our Canadian winter.

How is the coolant flow into/out of the heater core?

You can disconnect both core hoses at the firewall and attach a garden hose to one of the nipples then see the flow come out the other. Looking for blockage.

Be careful to not expose the core to full house pressure though. I wouldn't expect it to hold more than 20 PSIG.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    I just got back from a drive. Switched the rad cap with another ford one and it got a little warmer but not much. Still not full heat though. I checked the hose on the right of the 2 coming off the firewall and it was not that hot, I could grab it and hold it. The one on the left was a lot hotter. I am guessing that this would mean blockage.

In addition, the car has not produced warm heat since I bought it in may 2009.

In addition, the car has not produced warm heat since I bought it in may 2009.
    I expect you canucks are used to not having much heat then?? Whenever the temps get below 65 F here we start chopping up furniture for firewood.

Does sound like the core is plugged.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

How is the travel in the control linkage? Maybe it isn't moving as it should?
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT