Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Fuel pump with fuel cell

Building Boost

Question Fuel pump with fuel cell

I am putting in an ATL "Well Cell" in my SVO and removing the OEM gas tank and pump (85.5 with single in-tank pump). The fuel cell has a duck-foot pickup to a -6AN fitting on the top of the cell. I would like to be able to just use an externally mounted Walbro 255 pump fed from the -6AN fitting rather than put an in-tank pump in the fuel cell. My only concern is that the Walbro is a pusher pump and I am not sure how well it would handle having to draw fuel from the bottom of the cell and then up and over the top to feed the external pump. If I use a 12 gallon cell it is 9" deep so the pump would have to draw the fuel up those 9" and then it would be downhill to the pump.

Normally I wouldn't have even thought about it being an issue, but inasmuch as the 84 and 85 SVOs had an in-tank low pressure lift pump to feed an external high pressure pump it makes me think that he external pump isn't very good at pulling fuel to it's inlet.

Anyone have any experience with using an external high pressure pump in this manner?

Thx!
    85.5 9L

In comparing the 84 and early 85 dual pump setup to the later 85.5 and 86 single system the early system actually outperforms the later system. The reason for the change to the later single system was probably economics and availability of parts.

As for the setup there should be no problems but be sure to mount the pump low. What are your fuel requirements? How do they match up to the pump? There are other options on an external pump. But remember pumps are historically poor at suction and great at pressure.

Building Boost
    The pump is way overkill for my stock engine and even after some modifications I don't expect to make more than 250 RWHP. The car is being set up for road racing. ATL has a surge tank setup that can include a in-tank pump, but they are very proud of it at nearly $400 in addition to the cost of the fuel cell. It seems very expensive for what it is.
    85.5 9L

Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Does anyone know if the quick disconnects on our OEM fuel lines are SAE? Would these Russell fittings work on the OEM lines like into the filter and to the return line?

Russell 644113 -6an to SAE 5/16"
    Russell 641303 -6an to SAE 1/4"

Thx
    85.5 9L

The factory quick-fittings are Ford specific. The pressure side uses 5/16" fittings/tube while the return line uses 1/4 duckbill fittings and tube. Both pressure and return nylon hoses are 5/16".

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    The factory quick-fittings are Ford specific. The pressure side uses 5/16" fittings/tube while the return line uses 1/4 duckbill fittings and tube. Both pressure and return nylon hoses are 5/16".
    So that means that the SAE Russell fittings won't work... is that right? I can always just put a hose on with a clamp, it would be a lot cheaper!
    85.5 9L

I don;'t know what Russell's offerings are thse days. he *used* to offer the exact same push-on fittings and adapters netween those and AN. HE also offered the spring-lock fuel fittings (1987+) to hose and AN.

If I have time late today, I will brw3se his offerings. Napa and all the other major chain autoparts stores have repair ends and nylon tubing if that's what you need. You will also want to get the proper nylon fitting/tube tool for proper assembly.

Building Boost
    Thanks Mike. Stinger mentions these (or variants of these) fittings in his FAQs section too, so I think they should work. I see that the fuel filter used on the 86 SVO is also used on Fords all the way up to 2007, so I suspect that the fitting is SAE compatible.
    85.5 9L

Looking over the alum pieces from Russell that they call SAE fittings and whether they will work with the SVO fuel line fittings: it depends.

The SVO fitting crimps are not all neat and tidy like this one. Note a neat, tidy, NARROW crimped bead and there's no diameter increase of the tube past the crimp to limit how far the fitting can push on.

russellefi.jpg

The SVO fuel rail does NOT have these neat, tidy, *narrow* crimps. Might be the same on the fuel pump bracket tube ends, depending on year they were made. And there's no diameter increase of the tube past the crimp.

See pics here:
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post23931

Note on the large one (fuel feed - pressure - side) that the distance PAST the wider, looser crimp is very narrow and the later hose ends will not fit - they don't push on far enough. The smaller tube (return line) there is a greater distance between the two crimps and the crimps are not tight and tidy.

So oyu may want to get one and test it on all your tube end fittings. Remember we absolutely do not want them to leak or come off (which means a really large leak).

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Looking over the alum pieces from Russell that they call SAE fittings and whether they will work with the SVO fuel line fittings: it depends.

The SVO fitting crimps are not all neat and tidy like this one. Note a neat, tidy, NARROW crimped bead and there's no diameter increase of the tube past the crimp to limit how far the fitting can push on.

russellefi.jpg

The SVO fuel rail does NOT have these neat, tidy, *narrow* crimps. Might be the same on the fuel pump bracket tube ends, depending on year they were made. And there's no diameter increase of the tube past the crimp.

See pics here:
    http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post23931

Note on the large one (fuel feed - pressure - side) that the distance PAST the wider, looser crimp is very narrow and the later hose ends will not fit - they don't push on far enough. The smaller tube (return line) there is a greater distance between the two crimps and the crimps are not tight and tidy.

So oyu may want to get one and test it on all your tube end fittings. Remember we absolutely do not want them to leak or come off (which means a really large leak).
    Very interesting.... So it looks like I would need an 800-083 for the return and 800-053 for the pressure from Dorman and then come up with a way of adapting the nylon line to some sort of -6AN fitting... looks ugly.
    85.5 9L

Russell used to offer those. Check with them.

Alternately convert the fuel rail to AN fittings in steel (solder/weld them on) or try to locate one of those old TurboJoe aluminum fuel rails. They had 1/4 NPT hoses , iirc. Then you'd need to fab something to regulate fuel pressure as it did not mount the stock FPR.