Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mocking Bird lane

Mocking Bird lane

I am making some changes to the the 85 gray(1B) car. I have been using it mainly for autocross but have some upgrades planned. Recently I fixed the rear quarter panel damage from a trailer blowout and figured out I have some wear in the passenger side control arm and it needs brakes, so on go the parts! I have parts put back for the road car but don't want to miss autocross this year. So here's my plan and I'll start with the body and suspension. Pics to come this weeekend. I have a few missing parts, if you have them let me know. Make comments, ask questions and make suggestions please....

BODY
    Check frame for squareness(appointment in a few days)
    Global West competition subframe connectors
    Maximum Motorsports Strut tower brace
    Maximum Motorsports sway bar mount reinforce plate
    Mathis mod-Inner rocker rail reinforced
    Roll bar*(need to order)
    Roll bar padding*(need to order)
    87-89 front bumper mounts* with later model glass front bumper and spacers

Rear Suspension
    8.8 differential from Mark VII LSC
    SVO diff cover
    Moser axles with caliper flip mod
    Mathis mod-anti squat brackets
    Trailing arms
    torque arm
    Watts Link
    Coil over kit
    Bilstein shocks w/ race valving
    rear sway Bar

Front Suspension
    Steering shaft
    Rack bushings
    Bumpsteer kit
    SN 95 spindles
    Maximum Motorsports 3/4" forward offset control arms
    Sway bar and bushings
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates
    Maximum Motorsports Bilstein strut w/ race valving
    Maximum Motorsports coil over kit

Alignment Specs
    1/16th" toe in, -1.5* camber, 4*-max caster
    check camber and toe out on course

I have tires and wheels that I got from Pat. I have used them once and there is some question on the tire condition based on their age. They are being heat cycled to see if it helps them. I have some questions yet to be answered, like will my diff cover interfer with the watts link? Do I need a 1" rear bar instead of the 3/4"? What will my spring rates be on this car and setup? (hopefully Jack will see this and respond) And some big questions on engine condition now after an incident last year? More to come..........Doug and Dave can't have all the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    ....Doug and Dave can't have all the fun!
    3 SVOs in the "Final 4"this year....?
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Are you still running the stock intercooler? I don't think the MM strut brace will fit with that.

What 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    3 SVOs in the "Final 4"this year....?
    Tom, Doug and Tony???? Is Dave going to run this year??

Are you still running the stock intercooler? I don't think the MM strut brace will fit with that.
    I will check it out friday. Thanks!

I have not heard of any plans yet for Sturgis. I am assuming we are going to have a gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
    Tom, Doug and Tony???? Is Dave going to run this year??
    Tom, you cound leave your GT and new Hoosiers at home and bring the SVO instead, Get your Maximum Motorsports catalog out, there's still plenty of garage time available before Sturgis to get handling mods on yours too. An SVO clean sweep of the Final 4 would be sweet!

Nice list Tony! Can't wait to see how it performs...

One thing to add, exhaust mods to accommodate the Watts link and HD torque arm.

Also, when I talked to one of MM's tech guys (not Jack?) a while back about the torque arm / panhard options, he mentioned the importance of running their panhard bar with the torque arm to insure correct roll center.

One thing to add, exhaust mods to accommodate the Watts link and HD torque arm.

Also, when I talked to one of MM's tech guys (not Jack?) a while back about the torque arm / panhard options, he mentioned the importance of running their panhard bar with the torque arm to insure correct roll center.
    The Watts link can actually be better in this regards. The list I started with is suspension and steering. I was trying to keep the focus in one area at a time. But the engine is on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    The Watts link can actually be better in this regards. The list I started with is suspension and steering. I was trying to keep the focus in one area at a time. But the engine is on the list!
    I have to agree with this, you don't have the arc of the panhard's movement to contend with when using a watts. The left/right roll is identical, since the roll center is defined by a centered point rather than the offset panhard design. It would be interesting to see the movement of your rear axle with a torque arm combined no lateral locating device other than the lower arms...yikes! I am sure your torque boxes would be 'moaning' from the stress.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

A few things, I have the round tube global west sfc on the svo and steeda full lenghts on the capri. The difference is very noticeable, steeda wins. And why go through all that suspension work and not step up to cobra brakes?

I'm currious to which Global West SFCs you have? Are they triangleated and tied to the outer rocker rails?

As for the brakes and not upgrading it was simply for economics of time and money. Since this car is what I use on an autocross course and speeds will rarely, if ever, get to 60 mph I don't think I could utilize them. Changing calipers, disks, master cylinders, brake lines, tires/wheels and porportioning valves and possible having to add a balance valve before the season starts was more than I wanted to do. I have most of the components and may change my mind though.

No mine are just round tubes with seat braces that run front to back.

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Sounds like a lot of what was/is under my car. You're gonna love it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well the car has been sitting for awhile. Time to update the project and for some maintanence.

Front suspension, originally I was using MM control arms. I have changed those out and used a set of terminator spec Cobra control arms. Used those to free up the MM arms for another project. Used the Cobra arms instead of the stock units to drop some weight and decrease some turning radius compared to the stock SVO. Using Napa sn95 ball joint and MM adapters to take advantage of the low friction ball joint. I’m told 55lbs effort compared to around 8 lbs effort for the low friction ball joint. B709D122-DC19-4776-A269-D14BBA315E00.jpg

Cobra spec control arm bushing torque 148#. Using a low profile bolt from MM so it doesn’t tear the Rack boot.BCC4C8DE-2213-46B9-81B4-287E18CD9C5C.jpgFDFEE6F1-CEC8-4282-9AA8-45F3135E4DE2.jpg

MM rack bushings MMST-7 used. Mounting torque 45#

Used a MMST-11 Steering shaft. C83E3106-EFEC-432F-96D9-066B505CA8F1.jpg
    Steering shaft to rack mounting torque is 25# and the shaft to column is 54#

Used Napa ball joint for an sn95 and used MM SVO spindle adapters MMFCAB-10. Ball joint torque is 129#E687A8A1-4693-4ABE-93F7-0158C9BAC434.jpg

Used an MM bumpsteer kit. Mounting torque is 154#987BF2B8-2FD2-452B-8F70-9B648EDE87D0.jpg

1B243607-22B4-4220-88B9-335B3F6E00F9.jpgTime for wheel bearing adjustment and repack. Cleaned and repacked the bearings.
    From the Ford Mustang Service Manual:

1. Raise vehicle until tires clear the floor.
    2. Remove wheel cover. Remove grease cap from hub.
    3. Wipe excess grease from the end of the spindle. Remove the cotter pin and nut retainer. Discard the cotter pin.
    4. Loosen adjusting nut three turns. Rock wheel, hub, and rotor assembly in and out several times to push the brake shoe and linings away from the rotor.
    5. While rotating the wheel, hub, and rotor assembly in a counterclockwise direction, tighten the adjusting nut to 17 - 25 ft-lb to seat the bearings.
    6. Loosen the adjusting nut one-half turn, then retighten to 10 -28 in-lb, using an in-lb torque wrench.
    7. Place the nut retainer on the adjusting nut, so the castellations on the retainer are in-line with the cotter pin hole in the spindle.
    8. Install a new cotter pin, and bend the ends around the castellation flange of the nut retainer.
    9. Check front wheel rotation. If the wheel rotates properly, install the grease cap and wheelcover. If rotation is noisy and rough, follow procedures under "Replacement and Lubrication.
    10. Before driving the vehicle, pump the brake pedal several times to restore normal brake pedal travel.