Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: New Dipstick tube

New Dipstick tube

OK...so I pulled my 84 inline intake motor out and dropped in the 86 square intake. There isn't a place on the square to bolt the dipstick tube to.

Any place I can get a dipstick tube or am I missing something?
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

There is a place on the 86 intake. I'll post a pic before I leave for work.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I went to Pull a Part and got one off a Ranger p/u I think it was a early 90's.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The 86 dip stick tube attaches to a bracket that is held to the (2) rear screws on their stud ends. The square intake has (1) hex head screw and the other (3) have a small stud on top of the hex head. The third screw/stud is where the alternator bracket support tube goes in the front left-hand corner of the intake. Also, that bracket also holds the fuel dampener and one harness connector. If Mitch can't get you a pic, I know I have something useful on my home PC that I can toss up tonight.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 MINI Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Well, call me a liar or something of the sort. The dipstick tube bracket is separate from the intake bracket that holds the dampener and harness connector. The intake bracket is held in place by the back (2) screw/studs and then the dipstick tube bracket is screwed onto the intake bracket. The only pic I could dig up from my library shows only the dipstick tube bracket. If my memory serves me right, the tube is welded/soldered onto the bracket, which I think I may have broken/separated at some point and reattached with a worm gear hose clamp that can be seen in the pic below. I did dig up an illustration from the shop manual showing the intake bracket (aka - pulse dampener mounting bracket), that is below as well. If you still need a pic of the intake bracket, I can get one of those for you.

Intake - Install_Lower_01b.jpg

Shop Manual - Fig 11_Pulse Dampener and Oil Dipstick Installation.jpg
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang

Wow...I have none of that...LOL. My dipstick doesn't have the angle on the bracket and I don't have the stock fuel rail and FPR. So I'll have to go look and find what I need to make something up. The picture really helps though...thanks!
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

I have extra brackets for the square style intake. I have been looking for the bracket for the inline.

If I had the inline I'd let you have it but I don't even have that anymore...the previous setup on the racecar we welded AN fittings on the stock rail. The dipstick bolted directly to the lower intake.

Figure out what you need and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by vrinner View Post
    Wow...I have none of that...LOL. My dipstick doesn't have the angle on the bracket and I don't have the stock fuel rail and FPR. So I'll have to go look and find what I need to make something up. The picture really helps though...thanks!
    Glad I could find a pic and good illustration. I would think you could fab something up with a little creativity
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang

Some Boost
    I've used the dipstick from the 87-89 NA 2.3 Mustangs.

Should there be an o-ring at the engine?

That certainly looks like a workable solution!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by vrinner View Post
    Should there be an o-ring at the engine?

No there should not be an o-ring at the engine for the dipstick tube.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

So is the dipstick tube supposed to be loose? Mine just kind of plops in there. Use any sort of sealant?

No there should not be an o-ring at the engine for the dipstick tube.
    So is the dipstick tube supposed to be loose? Mine just kind of plops in there. Use any sort of sealant?
    Initially, from the factory, the tube is a semi-press-fit into the hole in the block. Then after we twist it back and fro a few times to get it out to disassemble a block for machining, cleaning, etc., the press-fit goes to merely snug then to Loose & floppy.

So it does turn into a place for oil to seep out after a while. I have tried installing a small diameter o-ring on the bottom end and then making sure the assorted retaining bracketry keeps that ring compressed. Eventually the ring compresses and hardens (years and hundreds of heat cycles) and requires replacement.

The factory uses a painted-on hardening sealant similar to Loctite 242. It flakes off on the first removal and gets small, sharp chunks into the oil sump area. So I don't like it for an in-vehicle repair compared to the o-ring temp solution. It's a good way to go though when the sump is off to collect all the droppings and to clean the hole for the next sealed installation (with intake already installed to hold it in place until the glue hardens).

If you do glue it, be careful to bend it out of the way, and not twist it, when removing manifold/head/etc.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I tend to try to flare out the end of the tube which tends to make a bit of a press fit.

Stick a phillips screwdriver end into the end of the tube and gently flare the end.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

I'll just add a few more pics for you all:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by SVOC View Post
    I'll just add a few more pics for you all:

OK...now someone is just showing off! Nice!