Thread: Recaro-vs SVO seats

Some Boost

Recaro-vs SVO seats

My son is refreshing the interior on an 86 he just picked up. It had a pair of the old Recaro front seats with the net inside the halo headrest like what was in the early FOX GT and Pace Cars. Question is will the replacement SVO foam and covers fit on these frames?

If not then these will be for sale or swap for SVO cloth front seats. Anybody know of any that are in good shape let me know.

Thanks

I know that several people have added the halo headrest to the SVO seats. But I would be surprised if the foam and covers would interchange. Can you post a pic?

Some Boost
    001.jpg002.jpg006.jpg004.jpg005.jpgPictures Close up of back seat shows fabric pattern

Some Boost
    I did some research, in spite of the appearance these are really completely different than the SVO (Lear) seats. The foam is in 7 pieces and frames completely different. The bottoms are unique and the back is a solid pan. This looks these may have been pace car seats but were recovered in standard recaro pattern cloth. I also have the rear seat bottom in matching cloth.
    I just spent the morning replacing some broken spring wires in the bottom, added a little dense foam to beef up the old foam and shampooed them, they came out really nice. We will use these until I can get actual SVO seats.

However I would bet that a good upholstery shop could make SVO cloth fit onto the Recaro foam.. BTW the complete recaro foam and pace car cloth is something like $800.

SVO cloth has been put on the reacaro seats before. It was done by someone on another forum. I am pretty sure you can get TMI (makes both svo and recaro foam and seat covers) to do a set for you. You would have to go through one of the mustang sales places because they don't sell to the public.

Noob
    As Kendall stated, you can have TMI make a set of covers in their SVO style material (although the cloth centers are definitely not correct looking). The biggest issue with the TMI covers is that the Recaro covers are designed to fit their new replacement foam that although very good replicas of the originals, others have had fitment issues when installing the new covers on old foam. So just keep that in mind if you choose to go that route.

Good Luck!