Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want my 85 SVO to be a 85.5 SVO!

I want my 85 SVO to be a 85.5 SVO!

OK like the title says!
    I know I need 35# injectors and a 3" exhaust but can you guys help me with a list of available bolt ons to accomplish my goal please. Also leads as to where they are available from would be great. NPD is right down the street from me here in michigan.
    I already have a rebuilt stock motor in my car with the head also redone. Car runs and drives great.
    I just want to go faster but not go overboard.
    205HP would be fine.
    Thanks in advance!!

205 is easy, but most of what you’ll need is going to be used stuff on the forums, not from NPD.
    To run the 35# injectors, you need the 85-1/2 to 86 PE computer. Put out a “parts wanted” thread here or turboford. Lots of them out there (expect $75 - $100).
    If you want the knock sensor to work correctly with the PE,you should also swap your intake from the inline to the square style. Make sure you get the mating dipstick also. These intakes are running $50 - $75.
    Your boost control module will not work with the PE, so you will either have to move some pins around, or…just pick up a manual boostcontroller. Be careful with the MBC, your computer can no longer back off boost when it senses detonation. It will only retard timing. Retarded timing and full boost = high cylinder/exhaust temps = bad!
    Also, you don't need a 3" exhaust to get to 205.

One other option - find some 93+ octane fuel, leave your car as-is other than a manual boost controller. Set boost up just a couple PSI (16-17). Presto! 205 hp... **Disclaimer - do NOT try this with crappy fuel.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Would have offered to have you visit Brighton MI (thesvotrust collection) and provided upper, lower fuel rail dipstick and PE until I saw the prices above !

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TheSVOTrust View Post
    Would have offered to have you visit Brighton MI (thesvotrust collection) and provided upper, lower fuel rail dipstick and PE until I saw the prices above.
    ????

will this ecu work for my application along with the Injectors on the second link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A311393O04YIYG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A31WCB304A08MC

Some Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by soldthedart View Post
    ????

will this ecu work for my application along with the Injectors on the second link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A31WCB304A08MC
    I can't figure how that computer would work for your application but the injectors look right. Personally I would try Rock Auto for injectors (cheaper) and it looks like they have a computer too for 167.79 including a core charge which you don't have?(PE)

I just did this conversion last year on my 84 you will also need the 85.5-86 fuel rail. I would definately reach out to Mark if he has the parts you need otherwise it just takes time to find all of the right parts and you never know what you have to pay + shipping. I needed to get parts from 2 intakes before I had everything to do the job. Laredo provided lots of good tips!

Good Luck and keep us posted

Tom

Must have misunderstood which computer to use, I thought that the ecu was suppose to be the same as the turbo coupe the one that uses the brown top injectors.
    I PMed Mark about parts. I definitely want the Knock sensor to work properly.
    Even with good fuel if I disconnect my knock sensor she sounds like there's a morraca under the hood.
    I drove the car out to Belville the other day " thats about an hour and a half one way!" To get a set of 2002 Roush 17" chrome 5 spoke rims and 245/45/17 tires for the car, man do they look good on the car! Ill post a picture this morning when the sun come up!
    She runs Great! . I have her up on Craigs list to sell the car but it really is a great little runner I think ill keep her..

Is this down pipe used by anyone here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...3D181436910501
    Last edited by soldthedart; 04-05-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Half Boost
    The turbo coupe computer will run the 35 lb injectors. If you can't run without knock check your timing and ignition before upgrading. Pull codes ect. If all is good try some octane booster. If you want a 3" down pipe go to Stinger. http://www.stinger-performance.com/stockparts.html

Quote Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
    ...you will also need the 85.5-86 fuel rail. ...
    Good catch Tom, forgot about that!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
    ... I would definately reach out to Mark if he has the parts you need otherwise it just takes time to find all of the right parts and you never know what you have to pay + shipping...
    Agreed. Happiness is getting all the parts you need all at once from the same source.

I pulled the Spout and set it to 10 degrees as stated in the manual.
    That was when I first got the car running.
    I'll try it today unplugged and see what I have.

Is this the correct ecu? it is suppose to be for the 88 t bird.

So I am clear on this, the Knock sensor will not work with the LA3 ecu unless I change the upper and lower intakes right?
    Do I also have to change the valve cover to use the t bird intakes? What about the cam?

Must have misunderstood which computer to use, I thought that the ecu was suppose to be the same as the turbo coupe the one that uses the brown top injectors.
    You are sort-of almost correct, the Turbo Coupe computer (LA3) will work with the 35# injectors but it’s not the same as the later SVO PE. To use the LA3 you’ll have to do some pin swapping for the MAF sensor. The PE wouldbe a “plug and play” into your ’85 (other than the boost control module/solenoid.)

So I am clear on this, the Knock sensor will not work with the LA3 ecu unless I change the upper and lower intakes right?
    Do I also have to change the valve cover to use the t bird intakes? What about the cam?
    Yes, the knock sensor is calibrated to the acoustics of the intake.
    And yes, if you go with the Turbo Coupe intake, you’ll have to swap the valve cover also.
    You seem stuck on the Turbo Coupe LA3 (??)
    Make it easy on yourself, go with the SVO PE computer, the SVO intake, and the keep your SVO valve cover. Less headache, same results.

Is this down pipe used by anyone here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...3D181436910501
    Don’t buy this! It shows applications for both Turbo Coupe and SVO. They’re not the same.
    The Turbo Coupe has the IHI turbo, the angle / fit of the outlet is different. There’s no way you can get one pipe to fit both applications correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    If you want a 3" down pipe go to Stinger. http://www.stinger-performance.com/stockparts.html
    What he said ^^^^

The repinning is not an issue as long as the information is available.
    But you make sense and your expertise is appreciated!
    I just want to be sure all of my components will work together.
    I ordered a manual boost controller and a gauge. Is the repinning only for the MAF?
    I would have no problem using the later PE if I can get one reasonably priced.
    Im going at this guns a blazing and my wife is gonna get angry if I spend all of her bingo money. LOL

Make it easy on yourself, go with the SVO PE computer, the SVO intake, and the keep your SVO valve cover. Less headache, same results. [/QUOTE]

All I need is part numbers and where I can get them. I already bought NOS 35# brown tops this morning.
    Ive been up since 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Don’t buy this! It shows applications for both Turbo Coupe and SVO. They’re not the same.
    The Turbo Coupe has the IHI turbo, the angle / fit of the outlet is different. There’s no way you can get one pipe to fit both applications correctly.

Thanks for pointing that out, I just ordered the Stinger Pipe!!

How about the new wheels.

One more! Damn snow!

Luv the white!! Looks good!

I now have the the PE installed changed out injectors and upper and lower intake.
    Swapped TPS and set it to .90vdc installed AIC over to the new intake.
    Installed the new MBC and blocked off the EGR with a plate and left the egr solenoid plugged and capped off the green line to the valve.
    New Motorcraft wires and plugs, gaped to .030. cleaned and painted the intercooler , valve cover and the filter box.
    Car had brand new fuel tank and filter installed, along with new pumps. This is the set up for the 84/85 engine with 2 pumps.
    Spout was disconnected and timing set at 10 before it was disassembled.
    I fire the car up it idles smooth up to 1600rpm then stalls out.
    I did everything as instructed, Now do I need to also upgrade to another single pump for this set up to work?