Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air conditioning

Air conditioning

Has anyone used latemodelresto's a/c conversion kit? Serpentine belts? Or is there a better route ? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...R-12-To-R-134A
    Abolish the IRS, and End the Federal Reserve.

Some Boost
    I too am interested in this answer. I figured when the time came (now if the time comes) I'd just call the people who make the kit...

I haven't tried the number, but I believe this is the place https://plus.google.com/104436129616...ut?gl=us&hl=en

If that is the hose wizard kit, which I believe it is, be sure to double check that you get the correct parts & that EVERYTHING is there when it arrives. I can tell you the hoses coming from the dryer were a real PITA to deal with on the recent conversion attempt done during the Knott's weekend show. Just check with Bob Holmes & his son Jason on their experiences. There's was not a serpentine conversion, but all other parts were the same.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I am going to drive over to the Hose Wizard & take a look at the setup and talk with them. I'm probably going to do the kit. I hope I don't have to remove the evaporator. Other than the hose are there any other issues with the kit? I don't know when I'll get a chance to go there but I'll post what I find.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have someone run a vac on the evap core to check for leaks. Also keep in mind the evap core will have oil in it. That oil is R12 specific & R134 oil doesn't mix with that stuff. Freeze 12 oil will mix with the R12 oil. Freeze 12 will also cool a little better.

I switched over to R-134 years ago. I changed the oil, o-rings, better locking clamps. I've vacumned the system throughout the years. My compressor is good and I replaced the accumulator. It will hold a vac. It just won't cool with R-134 so I'm going to swap out the system. Too many components that won't work with R-134.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove over to Hose Wizard today. Glen who put the system together and makes the hoses is not there this week he'll be back next week. I did get to talk to Larry. He's the mechanic who installs the system. I had him look at my engine bay. He said he can install it in one day. I'll have them install the system. That's included with the price. I'll have to talk to Glen and setup a day to install. Larry said everything is included except the evaporator core. He also said you need a high flow fan, however since I have a thin aluminun radiator it might be OK with the stock fan. I'll have to talk to Glen. Updates to follow later.

If you can, take lots of pictures of the installation and parts used.

I've seen several attempted installations of Hose Wizard's "custom" kits designed for the SVO and NONE of them installed without major headaches. I have one of the early kits purchased through Jim Whelan's company. Motion Dynamics, about a decade back and NONE of it fit correctly. I had to fabricate the mounting bracket for the compressor as the one supplied absolutely would not work (the bolt holes would only allow 3 of the 4 bolts to line up with the block, the angle of compressor mounting was about 10 degrees left and down, etc.). The kit came with brackets and belts for the AIR pump. Yep - totally custom for the SVO.

Bob & Jason Holmes rec'd the wrong compressor and the receiver/dryer hose (welded to the tank so it can't be routed differently) goes right over the turbo and exhaust manifold - under the stock charge cooler.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I haven't heard one good thing about the aftermarket kits. If I'm going to spend $800 I expect it to be compatible with the advertised application.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    I drove over to Hose Wizard today. Glen who put the system together and makes the hoses is not there this week he'll be back next week. I did get to talk to Larry. He's the mechanic who installs the system. I had him look at my engine bay. He said he can install it in one day. I'll have them install the system. That's included with the price. I'll have to talk to Glen and setup a day to install. Larry said everything is included except the evaporator core. He also said you need a high flow fan, however since I have a thin aluminun radiator it might be OK with the stock fan. I'll have to talk to Glen. Updates to follow later.
    Where in Georgia are these guys? Would you take some pics for us?

If there is still R12 oil in the system, you will encounter problems with cooling using R134.

My friend had Hose Wizard install a/c in his custom 56 Ford p/u 3 years ago. It cost him a grand but it works good and he hasn't had any problems. They are located about 15 miles east of Stone Mountain off hwy 78. I will be there as it's installed. I'm sure it will easier to make the brackets and hoses with the car there to see how everything fits. I'll take pics. Up dates to follow.

Mike and I installed our systems about the same time. My experience was different. Everything fit with out any problems. But I have more tools for AC work than some pros I know. The biggest item I had to change was the electrical connnector for the compressor. A 2 wire stock to a single wire on the new unit, no real challenge at all. I did dissasembled everthing and nitrogen flush everything out. Replaced the accumulator and put in new oil for the R134 and performed a tripple flush and took the system down to less than 1 micron each time and let it sit 24 hours to check for leaks between flushes. It has performed flawlessly in Oklahoma.

Noob
    But can you get it with a serpentine belt clutch? Or can you use the early 90s Mustang compressor hoses and dryer? I am replacing my as soon as I find out what to buy.

I picked up a Hose wizard kit from Glen about 10 years ago. Ordered it with a serpentine pulley. No issues, just cool air.

IMG_0027.jpg
    7B SL55

Noob
    Thanks I will order it today

Quote Originally Posted by SvoGreg View Post
    Thanks I will order it today
    When you do get to installing it please to a review and write up!

Here's the paper that came with the Hose Wizard kit. It is a Sanden #9285 or a Seltec #45021. Mine came with the Sanden. The belt is 1/2" x 37" I didn't use the bracket with the X.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was 90*yesterday and I was testing out the AC. Kool its hitting 49* it feels comfortable but I want to fine tune it some more. Has anybody who has the Hose Wizard AC conversion kit put gauges on it to get pressure reading high and low? I was getting 29-30 on my low and about 210 on the high. I turned the set screw on the pressure switch abot a 1/4 each way with no effect.

Some Boost
    Adjusting the switch is not going to do much. Ford never included an updated switch in the 90s conversions to R134. I have found they cool just fine with out changing it. It’s only 3-4 psi difference.

The correct R134 switch is 4 Seasons p/n 36676.

The switch cuts out the compressorwhen the low side gets too low. To get colder, the compressor needs to keep running.

Put the ac on high, close all the vents except for the right side, blower on high. With a temp problem in the vent, you should get down to 40 degrees or so. 90 or more outside temp might limit it some. I try to test it in the evening so the outside temp has little affect. Rember best cooling is not at an idle. You probably will not see 32 degrees like R12 would do.

Low Freon pressure, not cold enough
    High Freon pressure, not cold enough

I fill the Freon slowly until the temp gets cold. I’m no ac expert but this has worked well for me over the years.