Thread: Spats Wanted

Spats Wanted

I have an 86 7B, drivers side spat has started to crack and crumble, passenger side is still excellent. Will buy both if needed. I checked for reproduction ones but have heard mixed reviews on them. I am in Canada as well. Any help, greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Half Boost
    PM sent

Building Boost
    SPAT.JPG

I'll sell you mine! I was amazed at how many cracks were in mine yet it stayed on the car, then I made the mistake of touching it and it literally fell on the floor! My other spat has started to crack so I'm sure it won't be long before it looks like this one.
    Kevin

86 1C
    66 K-code Coupe

Building Boost
    I noticed that both of mine had black lines from tar or something for some time now. Upon closer inspection, they're cracks! Damn cracks! I'm the original owner and they've never been dinged or hit. I thought the spats were the second thing to go! Are replacements available?

I had the same prob. One of mine just fell apart into pieces.
    The other is ok. I got a used one that had cracks but coated the crap out of it with layers of high build primer. Lots on the inside. Just to kind of give it a little backbone. Working good for now.
    There were aftermarket spats to original specs.
    They may still be available.
    Frank
    1985.5 9L
    1986 1D owned since 1992 and on the road!

Common problem on the E5 version of this part and you have two options:

1) find a nice set of the earlier E4 version
    2) contact SVPU for fiberglass reproductions

The first is my preference and there are some out there. Post up a "Wanted" ad.
    1986 2R Comp Prep
    1986 9L Comp Prep

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby 1986 SVO View Post
    I have an 86 7B, drivers side spat has started to crack and crumble, passenger side is still excellent. Will buy both if needed. I checked for reproduction ones but have heard mixed reviews on them. I am in Canada as well. Any help, greatly appreciated!
    I just saw this post. I knew they would crumble sooner than later. Bought a set of NOS still the bags, painted 7B blue for this car. Kept them when I sold it. They crumbled in the bags last year. They were toast.

I have a 7B, mine crumbled also. I used the fiberglass ones from SVPU. Quality was terrible. It took several months to get them at the time(they are more available now) but they were pulled from the molds early and the rosin was extremely oily. It took forever to clean and prep them for paint.

Building Boost
    Yeah I have a set of the SVPU spats. I haven't tried to paint them yet. What did you do to prep them?
    Kevin

86 1C
    66 K-code Coupe