Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lost all power now it will not run

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonys 85.5 View Post
    If they are gone, do you think I have metal all through the motor from trying to start it and running it? I don't see any flecks of metal on the dip stick.

Yes.

Rotate the crank by hand to verify correct cam timing. If all the marks line up, then pull the dizzy to check for failure there.

Building Boost
    I have found the problem. I pulled the distributor and the roll pin holding the dizzy gear sheared off. the pin is still there just broken. I found it by removing the cap and the rotor just spins around. I am going to replace the pin, change the oil and filter in case any part of the pin is missing. then get her back in time. Am I missing any thing i should do? Is this a common failure?

Thanks to Mike S, Mike F. Brsvo and Nyeric for all your help so far.

Some Boost
    while you have the dizzy out check the gears closely for signs of abnormal wear and or cracks and chunks missing.

if it has any of these features replace before it gets ground into filings.

Bar

FYI: I have some NOS auxiliary shafts available. No NOS stock dist gears though.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    The gear looked good i could only see wear marks at the points the gears meshed together. i took it into work and put it under the magnifier. no cracks or distortion. new pin, oil and filter change and shes running like a champ. I think better than before this issue. No hesitation like I mentioned in my first post??? maybe I just think its running better. HAHA
    Thanks to everyone that commented and helped me get this fixed.

Tony

Great info to know 'just in case'