Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Hatch trim removal

Half Boost

Hatch trim removal

I searched and found nothing pertaining to removal of the hatch trim. After doing the job I thought I would put up a thread about how its done. These are the clips and locations for retaining the trim.

OK picture 1 is the post the trim mounting clip is secured to on the hatch.
    DSCF4439 (2).JPG

Pic 2 is the new clip as would be viewed from the center of the car looking out.
    DSCF4440 (2).jpg

Pic 3 is the clip with the glass side to the left and the mounting stud to the right.
    DSCF4442.JPG

Pic 4 is the locations of said studs/clips on the hatch
    Rear Hatch Clips location.jpg

Half Boost
    I bought the tool from NAPA $14.95, part # 2038.
    NAPA tool.jpg

Half Boost
    I used the cardboard from the tool to protect the glass form scratches and slid the tool tip under the trim laying flat on the glass. Then slid down (or up-sideways as needed) till I found the clip. Note also there is a plastic liner under the trim and you must get the tool under that to reach the clip. The trick is to get the tool tip in the notch in the center of the clip as viewed in picture 3.
    trim tool.jpg

Half Boost
    Next is to rotate the tool handle to spring the clip away from the hatch releasing the trim in that spot.
    clip release.jpg

Half Boost
    If it does not come off gracefully a slight twist of the wrist may help. Please note this is exaggerated in the picture and being over aggressive may bend your trim (not advised as the trim is hard to come by). It takes practice so by the time I got 3/4 of the way around I had a feel for finding the notch pulling it away from the inside for the trim and popping it up off the clip. Also note it may take doing both sides of the clip for full release.
    trim release.jpg

Nice write up and pictures! Thanks for posting this up.
    1986 2R Comp Prep
    1986 9L Comp Prep

Half Boost
    After taking it off I scuffed the trim with scotch bright pad + soap and water and sanded the edges where the paint was gone and repainted it. Then replaced all the clips with new ones available from Latemodel Restoration. When installing the clips make sure the little tabs at the bottom of the clip are seated all the way under the lip on the stud. I had to use a flat blade screw driver and a slight pound with my hand to get some of the tiny tabs seated. Take it easy when doing this as a slip could break your window. Then you position the trim back in place and snap it down over the clips and your done. I hope this helps because till I did it the explanations I found didn't make a lot of sense. Not being able to view the clips under the trim.
    trim clip installed.jpg

Building Boost
    Nice write up and thanks. This will come in very handy when I refresh the trim pieces.

Edited above posts to place pics in-line. Reads easier.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Thanks Mike. When I realized I couldn't do it that way I went to individual posts. But the first one was fubared already at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Nice write up and pictures! Thanks for posting this up.

+1 Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time ! Very nice. A TRICK we use when installing ANY window molding is to take apart a flat feeler guage. The kind that has a thumb wheel holding together. Use the shim stocks under the clips, slipping up under the molding to be installed. You then pull the shim (feeler guage) as you press on the molding. When the feeler slips out you will hear a click and know that the clip has caught the molding. No pounding, no bending and no braking windows.

Mark
    P.S. Once we install on a wooden dowel and pulled 5 at a time "evenly" !

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    I bought the tool from NAPA $14.95, part # 2038.
    NAPA tool.jpg
    Nice work! I recently reattached all of the trim on a project I am working on also. I did not have the tool when I removed them and ended up putting a little chip in the windshield which unfortunately turned into a crack!

I'm going to get the tool for next time for sure! My svo trim refinish is on the horizon one of these years!
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

Noob
    Nice write up, thanks.