Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: External wastegate question

External wastegate question

OK...so I have a header with the fitting for the external wastegate. The opening on it is 34mm.

Two questions;

My current setup has the internal wastegate including the turbo and downpipe. Do I need another turbo and downpipe or can I just force/lock the wastegate shut on the downpipe?

I'm looking to run between 15 and 19lbs of boost. Whats the best (or options) on which wastegate to get as in size, brand, model?

I've got to pull the E6 off anyways due to several of the studs holding the turbo on have snapped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

You can buy a plate for your current turbo that will block off the port for the internal wastegate while allowing for a better breathing downpipe.

Here's my downpipe:

Here you can see the plate. I had a cone welded to the plate and then a v-banc clamp is used to connect the discharge and the downpipe:

Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

So I still have to modify my downpipe to hook up to the external wastegate. As in, the wastegate should not discharge to atmosphere.
    I have the second...make that the first best 2.3t race car. Bob has...had the best one...Bob...when is the last time yours was on the track...lets race for Pinks! I'll be at Buttonwillow in September!

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vrinner View Post
    ... As in, the wastegate should not discharge to atmosphere.
    No? Is there some rule against that? Discharging into the atmosphere is preferable to discharging into the intake or the drivers compartment. %)

To atmosphere will definitely be louder so if you have some noise limits, you will need to consider that. At a minimum move the WG outlet out of the engine compartment, perhaps following the exhaust system to exit the right side of the vehicle. Personally I'd keep it away from exiting under the car or anywhere near sheet metal so it doesn't cause lots of ringing and vibration echoes.

You can always merge it into the downpipe 15+ inches downstream from the turbine outlet. Where's it's colder and under less pressure.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

You certainly can discharge separately from the main downpipe. Just remember that you are still dealing with exhaust gases that exceed 1000 degrees. Plan accordingly.

I moved this thread to race engine, although I know that's stretching it, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Several things Vince. First, on Bobs set up is his use of V bands, they are really nice to have. If you need extra room to pull the starter (hey Bob how many have you put on?) or you are dropping the transmission (is that gearbox for you Mike?) for a clutch it will be appreciated. They are also nice to have when you go off-roading and happen to crush a section of pipe, not that I would have any experience with that though. The benefit of the external waste gate, is that it will be larger and less susceptible to boost creep. Use it with a flex pipe, the temperature fluctuations hot to cold happen quickly and pipe cracking is common.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    You can buy a plate for your current turbo that will block off the port for the internal wastegate while allowing for a better breathing downpipe.

Here's my downpipe:

Here you can see the plate. I had a cone welded to the plate and then a v-banc clamp is used to connect the discharge and the downpipe:

So where did you get the plate and the v-band clamp parts? This looks like such a better maintenance setup...having torn mine down many times it looks much easier this way.

Vince, there are a bunch of different vendors. SP, Burns, Sumit Racing has some of the parts. I'll see if I can get you some direct links. (Please be patient, I can only handle a short time sitting up at the moment.)

You'll note that instead of using a flex joint, I used a slip joint. It serves the same function of allowing the exhaust to grow at a different rate than the wastegate plumbing, which should eliminate cracking.

You can also check with columbia river mendrel bends in OR. They have great prices & no sales tax in OR.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by vrinner View Post
    OK...so I have a header with the fitting for the external wastegate. The opening on it is 34mm.

Two questions;

My current setup has the internal wastegate including the turbo and downpipe. Do I need another turbo and downpipe or can I just force/lock the wastegate shut on the downpipe?

I'm looking to run between 15 and 19lbs of boost. Whats the best (or options) on which wastegate to get as in size, brand, model?

I've got to pull the E6 off anyways due to several of the studs holding the turbo on have snapped.
    Vince,

You can use the downpipe off the 1E car, it was made for this header. Both the ported "Rod's Header" and this "Motion Dynamics" header where made to interchange with the exhaust system on the 1E car. The external wastegate is mounted in the exact same postion on both headers.

Just giving you ideas for options you may have - sorry I am late on this.
    7B SL55

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    You can always merge it into the downpipe 15+ inches downstream from the turbine outlet. Where's it's colder and under less pressure.
    I picked up an atr a while back an planned to use it. I have read though it is better to enter into exhaust stream 15+ inches downstream. Any thoughts on if atr is ok as is or should I do something else instead? I am thinking of going with tial wastegate however as not overly impressed that atr wastegate does not seal very well.
    IMAG0004.jpg
    First production car to have disc brakes at all 4 wheels......
    '54 Austin-Healey

Building Boost
    I have a Rod's header with a Tial External and Sacremento Mustang 3" downpipe and I vented the WG to the atomosphere. If I had to due it again I would merge the dump into the exhaust. The sound is pretty annoying once it opens and soound like a leaky muffler!

I know this is an old thread but I figured I wouldn't start a new one for my question. If I were to get a center mount header can I put an he351 and an external wastegate on my svo without a tune? Or would I need a chip or megasquirt?

Building Boost
    is there much of an advantage going to an external wastegate?

Quote Originally Posted by Srt6 View Post
    is there much of an advantage going to an external wastegate?
    MUCH more flow (bypass/dump) capacity is available. And there are usually a large selection of springs and spring rates.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite