Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My '86 Rebuild

IMG_20160619_211122602.jpgIMG_20160619_211232410.jpg
    Back to the 3G upgrade... These are a couple pictures of the wires coming from my external voltage regulator. The Orange Blue and the White Black go to the Alternator and I assume are no longer used. The Yellow White goes to the bundle of wires that end up at the battery side of the solenoid. The green red heads back into the cabin and I would guess goes to the amp light?

So I think it would go like this:
    Abandon Orange Blue, White Black and Yellow White.
    Not sure what to do with Green Red.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

After studying Project Tax Return and some of Mike's documentation (repeated below), it suddenly makes sense. Orange Blue and White Black are abandoned. Green Red goes to the Ignition Switch and would hook to the Green Red from the Alternator (that should have been an easy one). The Yellow White and Black Orange (the old Battery charge wire from the old alternator) just become battery 12 volt wires (always hot). I am thinking on using the Black Orange to supply my new relays for the headlights. Until someone tells me different, that is what I am going with.

IMG_20160620_211228915.jpgFord 3G Alternator Installation.jpg

Some pics to help and a few notes about power return (aka ground flow).

if you paint your block and or brackets, it is critical to remove the paint on the alternator bracket - the side that bolts to the head - and the head mating surfaces. Where the three 8mm bolts mount it to the head. Additionally the alternator body must have the paint removed (if painted) form the rear of the mounting hole surfaces and where it mates to the alternator bracket. This is the ground path for the alternator. Then it goes through the head-to-block bolts, and eventually to the ground cable that connects directly to the battery negative (and some parts of the chassis. And make sure the long alternator mounting/pivot bolt is clean. Note we want the power flow to be to the round surface at the rear of the alternator pivot and the forward mating surface of the bracket rather than just the threads. Several pics of the Red Baron power-coated 3G and assorted brackets. See the red circles in the pics below.

It is critical that all of these mounting surfaces are a good electrical connection - free of paint.

I've also included a drawing/pic from Pat detailing installation of a 3G and his custom power cable for reference. Gotta put it somewhere.

Img_7096.jpgImg_7102.jpgImg_9119.jpgImg_9128.jpgImg_9131.jpgAltWiringFromPat.jpg
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

What's that tapping sound?? Chalky's Avatar
    Lookin' good Sheff, giving me motivation to get back to mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.