Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Formula 1 Racing Thread

2016 Formula 1 Racing Thread

We will soon have the new season starting off. Toward the end of the month there will be tire testing. The test and tune sessions will soon start. I thought I would start with a few thoughts and questions about the new season. The latest news has Maldonaldo. Will he keep his seat or will he be replaced at the new Renault team? With oil at extremely low value I don't see money coming in for Maldonado. Even if it did, I don't see him in Formula 1 more than another year. I think he's gone.

I see the season as Mercedes #1, and Ferrari #2. Don't have a good feel for #3 yet. Who's it going to be?

I see the season as Mercedes #1, and Ferrari #2. Don't have a good feel for #3 yet. Who's it going to be?
    I will go with Williams for slot 3. They made very good progress in 2015, and, if not for Ferrari's unexpected rise during the year, would probably have taken 3rd in the WC.

Don't know yet where to place the new Haas F1 team. With a base in England, Ferrari works engines and some known talent it's difficult to count them out entirely but it's still a major feat to do well (top 3 in WC points) in a first year of F1. Not to mention the current competition as already detailed above.

I'm gonna predict at least one top 10 finish in the first five races for Haas.

McLaren/Honda? Big sigh. I don't think the current rules will allow a redesign of the power plant - and that looks real bad for Honda. If they can sneak trough a new design the tables will flip very quickly. Time for the lawyers to do their work so we can get on with real racing instead of this NASCAR-like approach.

Predictions for the year: Pretty much same as 2015: Merc first for the CC, DC places Hamilton first, Rosberg second, Vettel third. Don't see this changing much until a rule change handicaps Merc.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

There was a change in the merc car last season and Rosberg made a better showing. I think Rosberg will start off leading with Hamilton 2nd, Vettel 3rd. Torro Rosso will start the season beating RB and challenging Williams. Force India will be challenging Williams also. And going out on a limb I will say McLaren will challenge RB and Williams also! The season is near! On another note, how is everyone going to tune in and watch?

2016 Formula 1 racing thread

Merc, Ferrari, Williams, Renault, RBR.

Hamilton, Whiney Pants, Vettel.

Haas will flounder around the back. Manor had Merc engines, but I'm hoping Haas does better. At least McLaren will have someone to play with.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

So what's the line right now? A beer or coffee for the winner and the same for McLaren/Hass in the points?

Works for me. I still owe you a beer.

Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.
    Two Weeks.

Coming Soon!

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Enough said

2 hours left for second testing. After 3500 miles the Mercedes finally broke down with a transmission problem. 3500 miles on 1 engine and 1 transmission up till this point. No other breakdowns. Everyone else has had lots of breakdowns. They are looking very formidable!

You can't just "reliable" your way to a win.

I bet, this year, that the Merc pilots will take each other out more than once. As long as Nico keeps the stones he found at the end of last season.

I bet, this year, that the Merc pilots will take each other out more than once. As long as Nico keeps the stones he found at the end of last season.
    Those things shrivel up during the winter, right?

Even if his stones and luck are as good as two years back, there is still this little thing called "Lewis Hamilton" that seems to always put him back in his place no matter how far ahead he gets.

Five levels of tyres? How will that play out? How many will they have to choose from for each race? May give a new meaning to going [to] purple.

Three more days, folks.

Get those DVRs warmed up.

Any predictions for a wet race tomorrow??

Allow me to be the first to say:

This new qualifying format REALLY SUCKS!!!

Thank goodness that was short lived! I am liking the tire strategy though...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Allow me to be the first to say:

This new qualifying format REALLY SUCKS!!!

Qualifying format was STUPID!

Alonso paying tribute to Tony's favorite driver of all time, Maldonado, that was totally unexpected. The fact that he got out of that waded up mess of a Honda on his own, that was astounding. Haas showing up to the game & pulling off one top 10 finish, that was unexpected.

Alanso Crash Aus 2016-1.jpgAlanso Crash Aus 2016-2.jpgAlanso Crash Aus 2016-3.jpgAlanso Crash Aus 2016-4.jpg
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

46Gs is what the crash was measured at! The wheels didn't break loose from their tethers either. A true testament to Alonso fitness, the McLaren structure and the safety of F1.

I got the first podium right. Mike got Haas in a top ten finish right. Bob gave the title of Whitney pants to the wrong person, it should be Verstapen.

Rosberg was almost retired from the race because of debree in his front rotor. It would be quite an irony if it turns out to be debree from Hamiltons front wing that Rosberg took off at the first corner.

The big thing I took from the season opener is the importance of tire selection and race strategie. It cost Ferrari the top step of the podium, it moved Haas into the top ten, it moved Button out of the top ten, tire choice and a hot head cost Verstapen several positions, and it affected Bottas and Felipa.

I also really enjoyed the comradely. It was good to see Hamilton and Nico, Vettel and Weber, Alonso and Gutierrez play nicely. The only downer was Verstapen...

The race finish was as expected by almost everyone (merc, merc, red car). But all that stuff from the poor start for both mercs to the last couple laps was totally unexpected.

Once Ferrari get the tire selections sorted, they will be a serious competitor to the mercs.

Maldonado would be proud!! I think the steering wheel on Alonzo's car may have survived- I didn't spot it in any of the pics though. Other than that, not much looks unbent. Not Alonzo is down one engine & gearbox for the season. Ouch!

Alonzo has the 2106 season altitude record. So far.

Did I mention that the qualifying format really sucked?

And we're stuck with the same stupid qualifying system next week.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh