Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Formula 1 Racing Thread

Out of the past!

Was installing some old[er] audio/video equipment and came across an HDD VCR device that has the 2008 Canadian GP on it. Yarno, Nick Hiedfeld, Toyota/Williams, Honda/Mclaren (Hamiton on pole), Nelson Picket Jr, grooved tyres and Flavio to name a few interesting things.

Yep - this is the race where Hamilton crashed into Raikonnen (Ferrari), taking them both out, in the pit lane.

Good times.

If I can figure out how, I'll burn it to DVD.

And 2008 Monaco GP2, and F1 Monaco (wet race)
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    And we're stuck with the same stupid qualifying system next week.

Aaaaaarrrrggghh
    ? The qualifying has been reverted to the old system, not like Australia.

No. It hasn't. They reversed themselves.
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

The bastards:

The future of Formula 1's qualifying format remains shrouded in confusion after bosses failed to agree on a change for the next race in Bahrain.
    Teams decided at the season-opening race in Australia to ditch the new elimination system and revert to the one that had been in place for 2015.
    But when they met on Thursday to discuss possible options, returning to the old format was not one of them.
    F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says there will be more talks early next month.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35896875

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

I thought the first race was exciting, except for qualifing. It was a great spectical of sportsmanship, except for Verstappen. We have another race day close at hand! Bob's right and we will have the elimination style qualifing again for starting positions. Bahrain is a power track so we should have a good evaluation of where the Ferraris are compared to the Mercs. In my mind the Manors are last and other than that the rest is a bunched up midfield. Toro Rossos are looking pretty strong, are they third best? Will we see Verstappen lose it? What has happened to the Williams? They should have a new front wing, but will it be enough? Red Bull are looking pretty strong but can they fend off the Force India's? The Renaults and Hass were a surprise, but just where do they fall in the pecking order? Can't forget the McLarens. Alonso has cracked ribs and will not be driving and may not be driving by China either. Vanderhorn is taking over duties and is flying in from Japan, he will have jet lag and not have a chance to acclimate. The McLarens have improved but they are some of the slowest through the speed traps and I just don't see them having a good weekend. A top ten finish is looking like a pipe dream. Insights or predictions anyone. Bob buying everyone a beer is the only sure bet!

My predictions for Bahrain:

Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel to place with [at least one] McLaren, Williams and Haas in the points. Kimi and Verstappen will both do something stupid.

BTW - Qualifying results were as expected (although I wasn't expecting a new track record!) while the new format still sucks. There's no way a 90-second elimination will work at Spa.

Why is there no attention being paid to track limits?? When Lewis blew turn 10 on his second to last lap getting way all four way over, he still got a time on the chart. That lap should have not been counted.

I need to make a new hat/shirt run.

GreatAgain.jpg

I saw one with a different quote that I liked. Living the American Dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    I need to make a new hat/shirt run.

GreatAgain.jpg

^
    Back side.

The China GP!
    Thoughts of the upcoming race. This is a track that is hard on the front tires and it also has a very long straight. That should favor the Mercs and Ferraris, not so much the McLaren and Red Bull. We have the duel between Hamilton and Nico. Hamilton does well at this circuit and with a very short run to the first corner he should do well. I see Hamilton first in qualy and on the podium. It's also hard not to see Nico second, especially with the small issues of reliability and pit wall decisions at Ferrari. Vettel will have a fresh engine though and will be extremely focused. I see him third. But what about the next spots? Will Williams get their front spoiler to work? Red Bull has been doing very well, will Richardo beat them? The midfield is really stacking up. Haas, Torro Rosso, Red Bull, Sauber, and even McLaren and Wehrlien of Manor have a chance to fill up the top ten. I see haryanto being dead last. And even though Renault has a much improved package I don't look for much for them at this circuit. I see the top 7 being on the same lap. Here's hoping for a good race!

I will say that the engines (cars?) are louder now. And they do indeed sound sweet.

I will say that the engines (cars?) are louder now. Such a sweet sound too!

Half Boost
    What cars are you listening to? They still sound like something other than true open wheel car IMHO. Last year I thought they were running Geo Metro motors.

2017 F1 may approach 1000 hp almost the equivalent of 20 Geo Metro's with displacement just a little higher, and quite a few higher revs. Nothin like it!

P2 has been run with some interesting results. Ferrari is on top, Mercedes second and RedBull third. Hamilton had transmission damage at the last race and will take a 5 place grid penalty, but the early change may benefit him later with some revised ratios that suit the later tracks. McLaren 10 and 11. Everyone of the teams are complaining that tire pressures are to high leading to high temperatures and problems with early graining. Rain is predicted for qualifing. Will we be seeing a Ferrari front row and win?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that Lewis will win the next four races starting with Catalunya.

And after every recent (2016) weekend event I've watched I ask myself several times why Maurizio hasn't been canned by Ferrari. Maybe it'll happen tomorrow. The team has made ZERO progress since he's been there - all of their advances to date (for 2016) such as power, aero, etc. were done by his predecessors. And there have been LOTS of mistakes this year that are far worse than what got the past three team leaders fired. Kimi and Seebas had great starts a couple races back and then lost the top podium spots due to failures in the pits for Ferrari.

For tomorrow on The podium: Hamilton, Verstappen, Rosberg. With a McLaren in the top ten.

Any predictions for Monaco 2016??

I'm going with Hamilton, Verstapen, Vetttel.

The Canada race is soon and there has been lots of activities going on. Hamilton has his first win and is at a track he loves. He will be on a high. Nico has come off a downer weekend but still leads in points. But there is increasing pressure from Hamilton, Red Bull, and Ferrari. How will he do? Red Bull will have both cars with an upgraded engine. Ferrari comes to the race with a new short nose, front suspension, turbo and fuel formula. Can they fight off RedBull? Can they increase the pressure on the Mercs? Or will they become the third place contender? We have improved performance from Force India, what is going to happen to the midfield? We have 6 races in 8 weeks. Things should happen fast. Hamilton, Nico, Ricicardo on the podium in Canada. Verstappen will crash. For a long shot guess, both McLarens in the top ten.

We have 6 races in 8 weeks. Things should happen fast. Hamilton, Nico, Ricicardo on the podium in Canada. Verstappen will crash. For a long shot guess, both McLarens in the top ten.
    The McLaren/Hondas have made more progress this year than Ferrari has.

Just sayin.

I am on a mission! For the Canada race there were 2 broadcasts of the race. The first one was pre emptied by Obama and MSNBC coverage of the Florida shooting. The second was preemptied by Women's Golf. This was AT&T uverse. They did this several times last year for several races and they mess up programming for football games and World Cup soccer. I have had it, they are gone. I have kept UVerse because I just don't watch a lot of movies and watch very few shows. What is everyone using and are you happy with it?