Thread: EEC IV as a stand alone ignition

EEC IV as a stand alone ignition

I actually throwing this out at Mike Flemming, but you know this this is an open discussion.

I think Mike has a pretty good feel on how the algorithms are written in the EEC, and so a few interesting questions come up with a possible modded set-up:

Using the EEC as a stand alone ignition system so you can use the timing maps, instead of just the TFI triggering the coil and locking the timing as like 36*

In theory I see where this would work fine, the question are:

If I remember right, Ford cuts fuel for the rev limiter, not spark?

Why criteria changes, either the spark curve or retard, other than the knock sensor, IE: temp, TPS, O2? even Limp mode/check engine light?

It would be easier to use this system with a carb, since you can change the timing maps with a chip and burner, and with a flip chip actually run different timing maps.

Mike? Bueller? everyone? :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Meotchh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Anyone who owns an SVO belongs in a Psychiatric hospital.

If I remember right, Ford cuts fuel for the rev limiter, not spark?
    Yep.

BTW - NOBODY cuts spark anymore. That's so 70's tech. Most recent I recall doing that was my 1977 930 with the spring loaded grounding tab in the rotor. LOTS of those cars exploded their exhaust systems because of that design. It's worse with CAT cars.

Sure you *could* use the EEC to manage timing. What are you gonna use to manage fuel? Keep in mind the factory EEC code for the turbo engines uses a VAF and BAP to determine "load", and this is the primary input to determine timing. Load and RPM. Temps and only slight modifiers at best. So if you were to use a carb, you're gonna have a heck of a time determining airflow so the EEC can calculate load values as I seriously doubt you will get a carb to work well with a pre-air flow device in front of it. Carbs are VERY sensitive to pressure drops.

Alternately you could use a MAF sensor with associated EEC modified code, then there will be *less* of a restriction pre-carb. Or convert the EEC code to use SD code with just a manifold pressure sensor to calculate load values. There are some folks on tfc experimenting with this. Don't know how successful it is though - or how easy to tune (or what tools are needed to tune it!). You will want to use an LA*/LB* series EEC.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite