Thread: dead horns

Building Boost

dead horns

my relay clicks but horns dont honk. Do they fail (both of them)?

Half Boost
    IIRC there is a fuse for the horns also. You might want to start there. It is very doubtful both horns would fail at once.
    you didn't happen to run over anything that could have torn off the wires did you?

Yes, they fail. Both were dead on my 85.5 when I got it. If you hear the relay, there is a good chance it is the horns themselves. There are 2 horns, 1 hi-note, the other is lo-note.

D
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B

Get a 5W or so test light and connect to the signal (power) wire from the horn(s) - disconnect the horn and connect the wire to the test light , other end of the test light to ground. If the light comes on, the circuit is good - replace the horn(s).

Note the horns use chassis as the signal return and those chassis grounds are not reliable - especially after 30 years. Be sure to re-clean the grounds when replacing the horns.

I like the Hella SuperTone kits. One high, one low tone available in assorted sizes. If you don't like the red, paint the grills before installation.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

^^^ Exactly.
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    1985.5 SVO 1B