Thread: Diff swap q's...

Noob

Diff swap q's...

I've got a 7.5" rear with the cone type diff and I've been thinking about giving it a little more gear (it's an '85 GT with a 2.73) and at the same time swapping out the diff.

Any suggestions as to what new, inexpensive "posi" diffs are in the marketplace these days? I'd like to be in the $300-350 range...

An 8.8 trac-Loc will bolt right in from a later (1986-1993) Mustang. Just swap over your axles and brakes.

You can even install a Torsen in it - but that's not gonna happen for that price.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

What are your plans for the car? Autocross or roadrace? quarter mile? Your cheapest solution is to pick up a used unit and rebuild it. Truetrac can be had in the 350-400 range. Torsens are more but you can get a higher bias in them. They will not generally need to be rebuild.

Noob
    Thanks for the replies folks!

I plan to mostly just keep driving on the street and not make any major power. Just a stock-like freshen up under the hood is in the cards. I'd like to try and maybe do an autocross for fun at some point but I don't plan on getting competitive with it.

I've been looking on and off for a little while now and haven't seen any used 7.5 tracloks for sale to rebuild. I've seen used gear sets though. I'll take a look at the Truetrac. Thanks.

Higher bias? Can you ed-a-ma-cate me pleeze? lol

I'd like to try and maybe do an autocross for fun at some point but I don't plan on getting competitive with it.
    Famous last words!!
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Famous last words!!
    I know, I know. LOL

DISCLAIMER- What I should have added was, not with this car...

I had a '95 that I did some drag racing with and what I learned from that experience, after I sold it, was, that if I was going to get somewhat serious I should just buy someone else's already lost all the money toy. lol

Half Boost
    I would look for a Turbo coupe 8.8 rear end and just drop it in. They came in 373 or 355. That's easy and cheap. That's what I did.

Noob
    I'll waffle on the choices a little longer.

So, can anyone talk to the whole "bias" deal?