Thread: Engine bay color

Engine bay color

Getting my engine bay ready to paint. I have been thinking the engine bay is the same color as the exterior paint color. That is correct isn't it? My exterior is Medium Charcoal Metallic which now has absolutely no clear coat on it, so it looks a dull grey as does the engine bay. So, I am just looking for confirmation before I start painting.

AFAIK the engine bay is same as body color, less clear. My 84 didn't have any clear from the factory anywhere while the engine bay/trans tunnel was body color. Most of the underside was primer / sealer grey with lots of overspray in body color.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Building Boost
    My early black 84 was mostly black inside engine bay. Really bad quality paint mostly and lots of primer gray showing underneath black paint. Frame rails were almost gray, just some slight overspray of black. It looked like someone at painting line had just thrown exterior paint inside engine bay I couldn't restore it looking so bad but decided to over-restore it painting whole engine bay and K-member with glossy black. Looks much better
    konehuone maalaus.jpgkonehuone valmis.jpg
    Lauri

1984 Mustang SVO 1C
    1988 Tbird TC 1C

Thanks guys, that confirms what I am seeing on my car. The clear on my exterior is completely gone (too much mid western sun) and the engine bay pretty much matches it. Once I get all the oil off the paint in the engine bay, at least in places, it has a little gloss to it, not full gloss like the outside should be, but some. And I agree, I am going to have a hard time going to all of this trouble of emptying the engine bay and then making it look dull. Thanks for the replies, I will move forward with some confidence. Hope mine ends up looking as good as yours!

Some engine bay pics from my 38k mile original paint 86. There is no clear coat, it is ALL single stage on the SVO. You too can get these results with a little time, a good cleaner, & a non abrasive wax.

86SVO_Engine_Bay (37).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (36).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (35).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (34).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (26).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (25).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (23).jpg86SVO_Engine_Bay (19).jpg
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Before anyone comments, the brackets & air cleaner box were powder coated. They look like crap otherwise.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...