Thread: Seat adjuster

Half Boost

Seat adjuster

I took my drivers seat out and the locking mechanism for forward and back adjustment is only on the outside. The inside just springs forward when taken off the studs. Is this the way they are or was there supposed to be a locking mechanism on the inside too. Somewhere in my mind there is an image of a wire running across from the adjuster arm to the inside but there is no wire or place to hook to on the inside (there is a hole on the arm) is this correct?

My memory says what you're describing is correct - there is only one "adjuster" and the other rail / slider is only for support/alignment and not fixed positioning. Iirc both "rails" have notches while only one slider has a lock tab. The seat with rails can be installed either side, with the appropriate sided slider.

If both rails and both sliders had lock tabs, then the portion that mounts to the chassis would need to be one piece - as a frame/bracket like the way aftermarket seats do - or any slight imperfection in the alignment of the sliders/frame would be bad.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    OK it feels like it needs a lock but if it wasn't there I guess that's the way it is.

Seat tracks that have lock tabs on both sides usually have the adjuster lever going horizontal, from left to right, under your knees. As a general rule if the adjuster handle is on one side only, that's the only side that had lock tans.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a newer DOT spec that dictates locking tabs on both sides. Seems stronger and safer to me.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    These are some pics from a '68 seat track, but they are virtually identical other than length. The square piece in the middle is threaded and the tiny rods coming from each sides is threaded and adjustable. There is a catch on each side of the track that slips in to a notch that you cant see in these pics. It sounds like you will have to take the seat out. I bet that you simply have something that is merely need some lubrication.
    Take the seat out of the car and flip it upside down and spray some lubricant on all the moving parts and everything should be good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Half Boost
    That's what I was picturing in my head but the SVO seat has the notch's in the outside of the slider on the inside seat track and no locking arm on that side. Looks like the locking arm on your picture has the notch's on the inside of the track.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Half Boost
    Your missing the pieces that go from one side to the other to release both tracks at once.
    When I get into the garage I will take a pic from an '84 seat track. I used the '68 as a reference.

Half Boost
    Brsvo, I was wrong! The inside track does not lock like the '68 I took a pic of. I looked at my '85 track and it does not have the center piece I was talking about. So yours is correct.