Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Sturgis Mustang Rally

Thanks Greg!

There is another great event going on while we're in Sturgis...

Black Hills Labor Day Weekend Studebaker Event
    http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?...=SD0101024e010
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Sturgis is rapidly approaching! Are you ready?
    My new tires (non-autocross) have been shipped, the car is coming together.
    I will need some help tuning my SDS system while in Sturgis. The help will mainly consist of driving my car while I monitor and tune. I miss the days when you'd just change jets and reset the idle in a carburetor!
    Dave

Dad says I can do that for you, but you need to wear shoes while riding in the car with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Sturgis is rapidly approaching! Are you ready?
    My new tires (non-autocross) have been shipped, the car is coming together.
    I will need some help tuning my SDS system while in Sturgis. The help will mainly consist of driving my car while I monitor and tune. I miss the days when you'd just change jets and reset the idle in a carburetor!
    Dave
    My daddy bought me an SVO!

I thought I'd let you guys see my dyno results from 8-19-16 to give you some inspiation for Sturgis...

Just a smaller pulley and an added Heat Exchanger and I got 487 RWHP and 560 RWTQ. A nice tune always helps of course.

I hit 504 HP on an earlier run that day, but it was leaning out a little on top. Gotta be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    7B SL55

You're gonna need tyres with a fresh layer of sticky.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    Great numbers 8T6 SVO, what cam do you run and how much boost did that take?

Well I'm just having a little fun with all of you guys... It's been 6 years since I've owned a SVO. While the numbers I acheived in my last SVO where close to what the dyno above shows, The graphs above are for a 2007 SL55 that I replaced my SVO with. The car is stock except for a ECU/TCU tune, smaller supercharger pulley and two heat exhangers. I'm now running about 14.5 PSI with the supercharger, up from stock of 11.9 PSI.

I definately miss having an SVO and the SVO people. But this replacement has been ok. Wife allows me to have one car at a time.
    7B SL55

Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode

An all-electric four-door sedan (at 4850 Lbs) with a 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 2.5 seconds.

That puts the 1/4 mile pretty close to 10.0.
    ( Just sayin' )

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Half Boost
    How long does it take to stop that 4850 lbs and how does it corner? If we go all electric will they have battery swap stations or hotels to stay in while they recharge?

Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    How long does it take to stop that 4850 lbs and how does it corner? If we go all electric will they have battery swap stations or hotels to stay in while they recharge?
    Ahh, all the insecurities/misinformation about EVs in one question!

Tesla has proposed battery replacement stations and has a video about the concept. Takes about 3 minutes to swap in a freshly-charged battery set. Faster than it takes to pump 15 gallons of petrol. btw. No mention of costs though. But it does show the Tesla models are designed so that is possible (battery pack on bottom of car).

Charging isn't something that you need to leave home for - like petrol fueling. There are currently 3 levels of charging available. L1 - 115 VAC 15/20 amp circuit. Takes 1-1.5 days to charge a 90KWh battery from empty to full. Great for home charging over the weekend and anywhere you happen to be as 115VAC/15A is available everywhere.

L2 uses 240VAC 20-80 Amps. 240/30 or 50A is most common. Total recharge times are down to 3-6 hours. This is the most common home charging station installation. Think elec dryer outlet in garage.

L3 is DC fast charging. usually 480VDC, 60+ Amos. Charge to 80% in 15 minutes. Most of these are located along highways/freeways.

Tesla also has SuperCharger stations across the country and parts of Europe. DC Fast charging at 80-150 Amps. Free to Tesla owners for life with the SC option.

BTW - the charger is part of the car. The station hookup is only the power source.

Keep in mind that if your EV is a DD, you only need to charge enough the night before to cover the distance(s) you will travel today. With a 200+ mile range, you don't need to charge everyday.

BTW this 4800+ Lb car will stop faster and handle better than any other production car with the same performance capability. Hands down.

Some interesting numbers. In 1986 Ford brought out the (off-road) RS200 Group B rally car. With the Evolution 2.1L turbo engine, it was rated at 600 HP and weighed in at 2400 Lbs. The 0-60 times came in at 2.8 sec, 0-100 at
    8.6. The Tesla P90D (and the quicker P100D) beats those numbers hands down - at double the weight. Only 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Ahh, all the insecurities/misinformation about EVs in one question!

Tesla has proposed battery replacement stations and has a video about the concept. Takes about 3 minutes to swap in a freshly-charged battery set. Faster than it takes to pump 15 gallons of petrol. btw. No mention of costs though. But it does show the Tesla models are designed so that is possible (battery pack on bottom of car).

Charging isn't something that you need to leave home for - like petrol fueling. There are currently 3 levels of charging available. L1 - 115 VAC 15/20 amp circuit. Takes 1-1.5 days to charge a 90KWh battery from empty to full. Great for home charging over the weekend and anywhere you happen to be as 115VAC/15A is available everywhere.

L2 uses 240VAC 20-80 Amps. 240/30 or 50A is most common. Total recharge times are down to 3-6 hours. This is the most common home charging station installation. Think elec dryer outlet in garage.

L3 is DC fast charging. usually 480VDC, 60+ Amos. Charge to 80% in 15 minutes. Most of these are located along highways/freeways.

Tesla also has SuperCharger stations across the country and parts of Europe. DC Fast charging at 80-150 Amps. Free to Tesla owners for life with the SC option.

BTW - the charger is part of the car. The station hookup is only the power source.

Keep in mind that if your EV is a DD, you only need to charge enough the night before to cover the distance(s) you will travel today. With a 200+ mile range, you don't need to charge everyday.

BTW this 4800+ Lb car will stop faster and handle better than any other production car with the same performance capability. Hands down.

Some interesting numbers. In 1986 Ford brought out the (off-road) RS200 Group B rally car. With the Evolution 2.1L turbo engine, it was rated at 600 HP and weighed in at 2400 Lbs. The 0-60 times came in at 2.8 sec, 0-100 at
    8.6. The Tesla P90D (and the quicker P100D) beats those numbers hands down - at double the weight. Only 30 years.
    So I just got a Plug-in Hybrid MB GLE550e to get rid of any "range anxiety". The wife can drive to work and back on the 18 mile range with 0 gas and the hybrid mode allows 39 mpg city and 50 mpg hwy (of course this is based on a 100 mile test and actual range varies due to many factors).

The 329hp/354tq bi-turbo V-6 engine mated with the electric motor gives some decent performance - a combined rating of 436hp/479tq and 0-60 times advertised at 5.3 sec.

i can still find a gas station almost anywhere.
    7B SL55

i can still find a gas station almost anywhere.
    Almost as many places as you can charge your cell phone.

This is just like the early 80's when new car buyers had to search for unleaded stations. Except folks never refueled at home or at their destination. Charging stations will only get more common and more powerful.

If you had 100+ Mile range on battery, charging becomes less of an issue.

Half Boost
    Well we won't be finding any of this out on the way to Sturgis towing an SVO. Just to get back on topic, LOL

Please post some pictures and trip highlights for those of us who have to live through you guys this year!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
    Please post some pictures and trip highlights for those of us who have to live through you guys this year!
    +1 - would love to see the fun you guys are having!
    7B SL55

Quote Originally Posted by 8T6 SVO View Post
    +1 - would love to see the fun you guys are having!
    We will work on that. Internet at the rental house was on par with fast dial up speeds. We're all on the road home & will post updates over the next few days.

I could tell you about the autocross, but I'd rather post the videos with the results.

We arrived home at 2258 PST after 1222.2 miles & 1 hotel stay. Thanks again for a great week!

If you didn't make it this year, you need to make plans to attend next year. We will have a minimum of 6 SVOs. We need more so get your priorities straight & start planning for SMR11 where we will have at least 1 SVO in the top 2 of the autocross.

We're gonna start banning folks that attended Sturgis this year for being so late posting pics and event details.

All y'alls better get crackin'!

I was getting ready to post pics, but then I realized I was banned again. I can't catch a break. I guess I'll try again Friday since tomorrow I'll be busy for mine & Lisa's 9th anniversary.

OOOO... Number Nine. Number Nine. Number Nine.