Thread: Replace AC Evaporator Core

Replace AC Evaporator Core

I have my heater box out of my car (really wondering if I can put it all back together...) am intending to replace my heater core and AC Evaporator Core. It looks to me I have to take split the box to get to the evaporator. Is this right? I have been trying to separate the box at the split, but it feels glued together. I have made some progress, but am thinking surely there is a better way! Anybody have any tricks for this?

Yep, top/bottom halves will need to be separated to R&R the evap core. And you'll want to spend some time with each separate housing piece to clean the 30+ years of crud out of them. I don't recall disassembly/separation being much of a pain - lots of screws though. More humid enviros might be different.

I have a bunch of pics of assorted disassembly, clean, re-assemble of that "item" somewhere in the archives. With particular attention to the vacuum motors and associated hoses.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Mission accomplished. I used a heat gun to soften up the seam a little. Careful, because you can just melt a hole in it. That worked reasonable well. And yes there was a bunch of crud in there. Cleaned some of it tonight. I may have to look up those pics sometime soon. There are sure quite a few piece laying on the work bench.

I think this one had baked in the Wichita sun for most of its life. The two pieces felt kind of melted together.

The foam padding on the doors inside my heater box pretty much turn to dust when I touch them. Does anyone know if there is a kit available somewhere that I could replace these? I haven't seen them for the svo or foxbody. I know I bought one for a 69 rebuild...

I used some closed cell-foam fror my local hobby store. I was not able to source the OEM stuff. Anything that fills the slight air gap and keeps it form making a thud/banging sound when closed.

I did find a NOS outlet drain gasket though. Still have it in a box somewhere.
    IMG_0456.JPG
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite