Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Need a new Transmission Input Shaft

Need a new Transmission Input Shaft

I have had an awful sound emanating from the center of my '86 when coming to a stop. I suspected a pilot bearing, so I pulled the tranny to find I was correct. The pilot bearing is torn all to heck. My input shaft is cut pretty bad and I would like to replace it. I broke open the case and maybe I should replace the 1-2 slider, but otherwise pretty good. I am on the hunt for a new input shaft and am not having the best of luck. Here is what I know:

• The tag on the tranny is 13-52-116 which checks to be from an SVO
    • Input shaft is a 10 spline and has 22 teeth

Anaheim Gear is looking for a used one for me, but no other leads. Does anyone have a source for an input shaft or other resolution?
    Last edited by MSheff; 07-19-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Rob Hanlon (http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/) is also another good source but keep in mind that most parts for that box are obsolete. While the 3.51 gearset was common in many Ford and GM (aka Guaranteed Misery) BW boxes, tat length/size input shaft only came in the 85+ SVOs.

Additionally if hte input shaft gear is worn, the countershaft cluster (one piece except for fifth gear) should be replaced also. Might be cheaper to hunt for a reman 3.51 gearset Ford box and/or do the 3.35 conversion (with a non-stock 5th gear ratio).
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Anaheim called me back today and said they did not have a used shaft. They asked me this issue and I said it was only damaged in the pilot bearing area. They said they could repair that. That may be the way I go for now.

I have overhauled a few T5s, but not sure what you mean by the 3.35 conversion... Googling some info here, I guess you are referring to 3.35 first gear and as I look down the gear ratios, it looks like a fairly close match to original.

I received the input shaft back and put the tranny back together. Put it back in the car(twice now) along with one other tranny (once) I just happen to have. I have the same issue with both. They shifted fine on the bench, but once in the car with the car running they won't shift. I can shift, albeit kind of hard with the car not running. I have been working hard to have it ready for Sturgis, but am running out of time. I actually had the very same symptoms on my way back from Sturgis last year on a gas stop. Everything was fine until I exited and then started back up to leave. Could barely shift into a gear. Somehow got into fourth and drove as far down the highway as I could without stopping. I was ok until I had to drive through a town, that was interesting. Next time I got in the car (a couple of weeks later) everything was fine. Have driven it several times since then, no problem. Even autocrossed a couple of times. Back to the current predicament, while I had the transmission out, I replaced the clutch. Nothing fancy, an Exedy from RockAuto. I am completely baffled (and tired). Any ideas would help!

Sounds like your clutch is not releasing.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

That is what I thought, but I have gotten into gear enough to drive it around some. When I push in the clutch pedal it acts like it is releasing ie, it stops going... When I was stabbing the transmission, I had the input shaft in the splines and had my wife step on the clutch so I could find the pilot bearing (my alignment tool didn't line me up perfectly), I could feel the clutch release. So I agree, that is what it seems like to me too, but some things say it is releasing. That has to be it though, what else could it be? I wonder if the clutch fork is flexing a little or something.

Half Boost
    I had a new clutch with said problems and the pressure plate wasn't moving as far as the stocker. Got a different PP and the problem went away.

Typical causes of clutch drag (not in any particular order):
    - clutch disc friction material too "hairy"
    - clutch disc friction material too thick for pp to release (rare)
    - clutch disc friction material not flat/parallel
    - Disk not free to slip/move on gearbox shaft splines
    - flywheel and/or PP not flat and parallel
    - PP not opening enough (cable/linkage issues or by design)
    - gearbox shaft binding/sticking in pilot bearing/bushing

My two cents would be the Exedy clutch is the problem. I am not a fan of their products personally. I purchased a flywheel,clutch, pressure plate and release bearing from them for my daily driver Honda Civic because I did not want to pay the high price that Honda wanted for theirs. I pulled the transmission(front wheel drive so it was quite time consuming) put it all together and installed everything. Started the car only to find that the flywheel was rubbing the bell housing. I pulled everything apart and double checked the install. Everything looked good so I double checked the part numbers and they were all correct. I removed the flywheel and checked it against the factory flywheel that I removed. They were indeed different. So, I called Exedy to ask them if the part number was incorrect. They stated that the flywheel I had was the correct flywheel. Long story short, they dealer I purchased it from would not give my money back so I ended up throwing it in the garbage and going to Honda and spending my retirement money to purchase the oem parts.
    Chad McElroy
    86 2A BWD, 2018 Civic Type R, 1988 Mustang Lx 5.0

Turns out all you guys are right! I took out my Exedy pressure plate and put it on the ram. Then I pushed the fingers down and measured how far the plate was from the plywood piece the pressure plate was sitting on. I then did the same for a clutch I just happened to have out of another 86 SVO I knew to shift properly. It raised an additional 20 thousands from the Exedy pressure plate. (It was a Ford clutch, by the way). That doesn’t sound like a lot of travel, but it was the best I had to go on. Since it was 30 days past my order date, I could not get a refund from RockAuto, but they would warranty it with a replacement Exedy. So, got the replacement, put it on the ram and it measured the same as the Ford. Installed and the tranny shifts great!

So the 5th time of installing the tranny was a charm! It is a little embarrassing now to think I didn’t recognize the issue sooner, but with the problems I experienced before with the transmission, I was prejudiced to think that it was something already existing on the tranny rather than a new part. Your guys’ independent thinking got me off that very wrong path!

One more note, I measured the pressure plate on the ram that was originally in the car. It was better than the 1st Exedy, but not as open as the 2nd one (and the Ford). This probably explains my issue I had a year ago. Maybe something was a little hot or something, the “lazy” pressure plate wasn’t quite doing the job and not fully releasing the clutch and thus no shift. Park the car, everything cools off and the pressure plate did just enough to release the clutch. That is what I am going with anyway.

Thanks everyone!

So another SVO is back on the road??

Party On, Wayne!!

Glad to hear you got the problem solved.
    Chad McElroy
    86 2A BWD, 2018 Civic Type R, 1988 Mustang Lx 5.0

Half Boost
    Great to hear Max! That's what I did and found the same issues. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to figure out new parts they are supposed to work!!!

So you would have had it fixed in Sturgis if you could have brought it ;-) . Sounds like it's time for some test drives now!
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

I keep hearing you can't trust even new parts, but have never really had that problem. I am now a believer!

Start on the 2017 Sturgis big projects now so we'll be closer to our goal of 10 (or more) SVOs in Sturgis next year!