Thread: Rocker mouldings 1986 SVO -How to take off?

Rocker mouldings 1986 SVO -How to take off?

Finally getting those spats on, but I need to take the rocker mouldings off below the door to get the last screw out. Anyone done this before as I don't want to break or mess up the moulding! Thanks!

Building Boost
    it has been a while but IIRC there is one clip that has a bolt up in the front. You have to take off the kick panel by your feet (front seats) to get to the back of the bolt. then the entire rocker assembly slides forward to slip it off the clips. If it has never been off before it ill have alot of crud in there. Be gentle since these are now made of unobtanium.

There is a stud sticking inwards on each side skirt (trim strip is more accurate) that goes into the rear section of he front fender. Inside the rear of the fender, down low, you will find a hex nut to remove. Once that nut is off, you can pull out, gently, from the front and gently snap the flexible aluminum strip off the three other "clips" that it mounts on.

You will need to remove/push aside the front fender inner liners to get to this nut.

I have pics somewhere.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Thanks so much, if you have pics that would be great!

Thanks, appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by NY eric View Post
    it has been a while but IIRC there is one clip that has a bolt up in the front. You have to take off the kick panel by your feet (front seats) to get to the back of the bolt. then the entire rocker assembly slides forward to slip it off the clips. If it has never been off before it ill have alot of crud in there. Be gentle since these are now made of unobtanium.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

perfect thanks! ....holy crap what a pain....the one phillips screw on the inside is impossible to get off. I have enough room to get my hand inside but is a struggle...but got it!
    Last edited by Kirby 1986 SVO; 07-29-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Take the nut off inside the lower, front fender area. Then twist/pull/snap the moulding off. No Phillips screws needed.

The one screw shown in the pic retains the front of the rear spat, that the trim piece slides over.

The white and black mounting tabs are retained with rivets, iirc. You will need to rill the heads off. 1/8" bit will do it.

Building Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    There is a stud sticking inwards on each side skirt (trim strip is more accurate) that goes into the rear section of he front fender. Inside the rear of the fender, down low, you will find a hex nut to remove. Once that nut is off, you can pull out, gently, from the front and gently snap the flexible aluminum strip off the three other "clips" that it mounts on.

You will need to remove/push aside the front fender inner liners to get to this nut.

I have pics somewhere.
    I guess this is another good reason to document with picts. Memories fail

LOL I knew it was up there just not exactly where I remember finding it.

got it thanks!

I guess this is another good reason to document with picts. Memories fail
    No worries, Mate!

My process was to take LOTS of pics during disassembly, then make written labels to place in assorted sizes of ziplock bags to hold all the pieces, screws, attaching hdwr, etc. Cause it'll probably be a year or more before it goes back together, LOTS of parts look similar, memories fade, ... In my case I took two years to recover from a heart surgery.

Another thing I learned. When one takes a car apart to the depth I did, the disassembly order is definitely not the same as the assembly order. The order items/bags/lists/pics are placed into boxes are not the same (reversed) order those same items will be needed for re-assembly.