Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Smooth and Prime Spats

Smooth and Prime Spats

What would you use to smooth and prime the spats before doing the plastic adhesive and paint?

Half Boost
    What do you mean smooth?? Do you mean the paint that is on them now has rock chips in it?

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    What do you mean smooth?? Do you mean the paint that is on them now has rock chips in it?
    I have some gravel rash on mine I'd like to touch up. Can they be wet sanded in place and painted without too much trouble?
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

It will be tough to prep & paint on the car since the plastic edge wraps around & makes it difficult to scuff & prep without scuffing the body panel. It is also difficult to get a good clean spray on the edge while it is on the car. If you plan on spraying the entire spat, I would recommend removing the spat from the car. If you just want to use touch up paint on the chips, then you shouldn't need to scuff them or remove them. Just make sure you clean & prep the surface.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Quote Originally Posted by Meotchh View Post
    It will be tough to prep & paint on the car since the plastic edge wraps around & makes it difficult to scuff & prep without scuffing the body panel. It is also difficult to get a good clean spray on the edge while it is on the car. If you plan on spraying the entire spat, I would recommend removing the spat from the car. If you just want to use touch up paint on the chips, then you shouldn't need to scuff them or remove them. Just make sure you clean & prep the surface.
    I'm tempted to give it a try in place. It can't look worse than it is right now! The PO must have done some gravel road racing in the car judging by the patterns of the rash in places like the spats. No physical damage at least that I can see.

Removing the spat involves removing the back seat and pulling the quarter panels to access the last fasteners right? Ick.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off. It can be done, but your hands pay the price! The rocker moulding needs to be taken off as well. At the front fender, you need to take the screws on the inner skirt off, and get your hand in behind to take the only nut holding on the rocker moulding. 11/32 or 9mm. It is easier getting everything back together. I only did my drivers side, as my spat on the passenger is still good, but at least once it crumbles the process will be easier this time around. I took some pics if you need to see more details.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    I'm tempted to give it a try in place. It can't look worse than it is right now! The PO must have done some gravel road racing in the car judging by the patterns of the rash in places like the spats. No physical damage at least that I can see.

Removing the spat involves removing the back seat and pulling the quarter panels to access the last fasteners right? Ick.

Figured it out, had replacement ones, turned out pretty good for a rookie!

Go to Rocker moulding post, Mike Fleming posted some great pictures for me, helped me out alot !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby 1986 SVO View Post
    You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off. It can be done, but your hands pay the price! The rocker moulding needs to be taken off as well. At the front fender, you need to take the screws on the inner skirt off, and get your hand in behind to take the only nut holding on the rocker moulding. 11/32 or 9mm. It is easier getting everything back together. I only did my drivers side, as my spat on the passenger is still good, but at least once it crumbles the process will be easier this time around. I took some pics if you need to see more details.

Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby 1986 SVO View Post
    You need to take the lower portion of the back seat out. Also you need to take the lower inner panel off and loosen one screw up on the upper panel. Then you can get your hand in behind to take the nuts off.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Spat fastener pics.

Img_1130.jpg
    So only one screw of the main rear quarter panel has to come off after the seat bottom and lower panel? I can get in some tight spots not too bad so I think I may investigate and try this.

I'm so used to the earlier one piece plastics that I'm thinking bigger than it may be.
    Darran
    1986 9L SVO, 1982 1C GT

^
    Just be careful, keep a helper/co-worker nearby and move slowly. LOTS of sharp edges in there.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Quote Originally Posted by FoxBuddy View Post
    So only one screw of the main rear quarter panel has to come off after the seat bottom and lower panel? I can get in some tight spots not too bad so I think I may investigate and try this.

I'm so used to the earlier one piece plastics that I'm thinking bigger than it may be.
    IT can be done....hand takes a beating...

If you take out the lower, trim piece you should be able to get to the retaining nuts.
    Spat_194153.jpg