Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 SVO Resto-mod Build

Some Boost

1986 SVO Resto-mod Build

I have had this car for over 10 years now, I bought it in 2006 w/54K miles on it....fast forward to now and it has right around-70K miles. During this time I have done a few mods here and there (rebuilt turbo, installed an IRS, FMIC, serpentine setup, DIY rotated upper, Cobra brakes, etc). Now after a few years of rat-holing more money and parts I am ready to finish the "mod" part of "resto".

I am installing MM coil overs in the front front and rear along with their full K-Member kit. Next I am replacing the ECU for a PIMP ECU w/ a wideband (going to figure out this data-logging thing). Then comes the fuel system, every thing is getting replaced except for the fuel tank (just going to freshen it up) and upgrade the fuel lines, FPR, fuel rail, fuel pump install 60# injectors.

Now for the wheels, my plan is to run a staggered setup of Motegi "Tracklite" wheels w/ 18x9 for the rear and 18x8 in the front. I am waiting to install all the suspension parts in order to figure out the correct backspacing. I plan on running 275/35/40 and 255/34/18 Nitto NT05 tires and I hope everything works out and looks good.

Once the "mod" part is done I plan on turing to the "resto" part to bring back the glory of my SVO. There are a few parts that have broke over the years or are just plain worn out. Once those are all taken care of I want to repaint the car in the spring same color combo (Sliver w/black trim).

Enough of my talking...on with the pictures.

I have added a few picture of the engine clean up I did and the IRS swap as well.281235_4699052668448_1361606535_n.jpg536055_4792930095325_439613198_n.jpg557208_4763319715084_1933762245_n.jpg10469752_10203808349503353_6658807496837653439_n.jpg10344842_10203194933008324_274724940778105108_n.jpg10302238_10203716301442209_8114726027139685150_n.jpg
    SaveSave

Some Boost
    I started on the fuel system first. After the sticker shock of replacing everything and upgrading it to a braided/hard line system wore off I started with ripping everything out. I removed and drained the 15 gal of 2 year old gas (man that was a mess), the only thing that I am reusing is the tank. I replaced all the gaskets, sending unit, pump, vapor valve and I swapped the stock fuel pump hanger for one from a 94/95 Mustang that has a 3/8" feed and return line. I will have a picture of the differences once it shows up.

I also installed a rear tow strap, I did auto-x and road race the car a few times before I put the car in "time-out" for leaving me stranded a few years ago.

I have read that the SCCA now requires a front and rear tow point....so that is what I shall do.

I bent up a piece of metal to help re-enfore the rear bumper shock so it does not pull apart if I ever need to use the tow point. With a small zip tie the tow strap tucks up nicely out of the way so it does not look like a tongue flapping out from under the bumper. Then on the track day just cut the zip tie and it is ready to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some Boost
    The fuel hanger showed up today, so on with finishing up the fuel tank. I used a 94/95 Mustang fuel hanger (Spectra FG30B) because it has a larger 3/8" feed line (vs' the 5/16" SVO one). For the fuel pump I used an Aeromotive 11540 Fuel Pump just encase I decide to run the car on E85 since 91 oct is about as good as it gets in Las Vegas.

I had to cut, splice and solider the fuel pump harness to the hanger harness, then a shrink wrapped everything and made sure there was nothing rubbing against each other. I thought I could use a hose clamp to secure the harness but I was wrong...so I used a zip tie instead. I am using Russell AN to SAE adapters so I can used braided fuel line instead of the OEM stuff. The fitting part numbers are (Russell
    641303) for the 1/4" return line and (Russell 640853) for the 3/8" supply line.

I added a picture of the SVO and the 94/95 fuel hander to show the difference between them.

Once all of the fuel lines arrive I will be able to install the tank and run the fuel lines. I'm sure some people are wondering why I am going the "AN" route instead of just ordering replacement hoses. After pricing it all out, it was about the same cost from tank to fuel rail for each setup. I figured running the AN stuff will look nicer and I will be able to run the lines around all of the non-oem parts that I have installed on the car over the years.

On a side note I am installing a wide-band gauge for the PIMP
    ecu, I want to mount it in the ash try hole so I figured I would take a picture of the Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter and the MGW shifter handle while the center counsel was removed. I installed this setup a while ago but I never took pictures of it, it is way better then the stock handle or even just using the Steeda setup.

Half Boost
    Nice!!

Cool Build, keep us up to date on the progress!!

Some Boost
    My K-member kit showed up today from Maximum Motorsports so I figured I would tear into the suspension and get that all sorted out before I ran the fuel lines. I ordered the full K-member system for the car, I already had a new set of Koni yellows so with this kit the car should handle like it is on rails. Unfortunatly some of the parts that I had bought years ago will not work with these new parts (I hate buying things twice) so taking those off and now trying to sell them is always "fun".

I was able to unpack everything and then remove all of the stock and cobra parts that were installed on the car (thanks to my new harbor fright special engine bar). I assembled the front coil overs and installed the new caster/camber plates. Then my OCD started kicking in so now I am going to replace the motor mounts, re-route some of the hoses/wiring and do some more painting here and there. I am also debating on swapping the power rack/pinion out for a manual one, the big thing stopping me is the added cost ($500 for rack and steering shaft).

Anyways, enough of my rambling here are picture of todays progress.

Luv to see "work in progress" project photos! Keep the pics and captions coming...!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Some Boost
    After years of messing with the power steering setup and trying different setups (OEM, T-bird remote reservoir, upgraded cooler) all ended up puking or leaking all over the place......I finally made the decision to ditch the power steering. I order a Flaming river manual 20:1 rack along with their steering shaft. By the time I'm done this SVO will be darn near brand new if I keep this "OCD" crap up.

... SVO ... if I keep this "OCD" crap up.
    It's definitely a disease. And working on the car(s) is a form of treatment.

I submit that all purchases of SVO parts & supplies be tax deductible as a medical expense.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    It's definitely a disease. And working on the car(s) is a form of treatment.

I submit that all purchases of SVO parts & supplies be tax deductible as a medical expense.
    I agree!

Some Boost
    I removed the rest of the power steering parts today, for those curious as to what serpentine setup this is....the bracket is out of a ranger and the pulleys are from a early 90's mustang.

I then removed all the vacuum lines and engine bay harnesses as well as removed the fender liners in order to hide the harnesses and vacuum lines to help clean up the engine bay. I laid the drivers side harness in the frame channel and I am thinking of using some aluminum or sheet metal as a removable cover to help keep everything accessible and hidden at the sane time.

Some Boost
    After reading up on the MM k-member install I realized that my 94/95 spindles were not ideal. So this morning I went to the junk yard and picked up a pair of 99-04 spindles, I plan on rebuilding them with new hubs. My flaming river rack-n-pinion and steering shaft came in this week as well.

I continued with my wire tucking today and moved all of the items the were on the passenger fender well to behind the shock tower (leaving enough room for the fuel lines). Then I decided to degrease the engine bay and mount the coolant overflow tank.

Damn I need to get back to work on mine. But it won't be until December.
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    This car has been sitting in the corner of the garage since Nov 14' after the fuel line failed and sprayed gas all over the wall, so I feel your pain.

Some Boost
    More parts arrived today.

New hubs for the 99-04 spindles and brakes for the cobra calipers. Along with and new cap/rotor, plug wires, PCV valve, limiting strap for the engine (since the stock dampers will not be reused) and some new bushings for the transmission cross member.

Slightly off topic, but...nice floor!!!
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Slightly off topic, but...nice floor!!!
    Why thank you, "Home Depot special" paint kit with Ford Racing colors for inspiration.

... with Ford Racing colors for inspiration.
    Needs more red. Just thinking out loud here.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yeah Nice floor it looks just like mine. I hate when my SVO drips oil on it but it cleans up easy.
    Your Best Bet, Hire a Vet!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Pressure View Post
    Yeah Nice floor it looks just like mine. I hate when my SVO drips oil on it but it cleans up easy.
    Oil leaks just let ya know that it is not empty.