Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 1986 SVO Resto-mod Build

Quote Originally Posted by Unclesams_SVO View Post
    Well, I ran out of space to post pictures, can someone tell me what I need to do to increase my storage size or link a picture?
    Well, first you have to be banned. For not posting in a year. Then you have to know someone important like Pat or Mitch. Then you have to consume a beer.

That usually works for me.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Hmmm, BBF? banned, beer, friend.
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn and stop)

Yeah, that's it - BBF.

Post away.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Thank you sir!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some Boost
    A kitchen teaser pic as well.

Some Boost
    Well I almost finished up the fuel lines today, that is until I decided to re-route the lines to tuck them up a little more after checking tire clearance. Then I broke one of my fittings trying to remove it because I made the braided line a little too long. On the bright side I am done with the hard lines. I also relocated the fuel filter as I do not want to have to drop the IRS every time I need to change it. I used a filter from a 98 Cobra that worked better with the AN adapters and fit nicely in front of the fuel tank filler neck (I will install a guard of some sort to keep road debris from messing it up). I am not sure I am a fan of having the return line hanging so low, I may look into a different clamp setup to tuck it up higher. Anyways on with the pictures......

Some Boost
    Well I finished up the hard lines today....or so I thought. Before I installed the fuel filter I wanted to double check that the lines would clear the IRS control arms. Well some of them do, but some do not when I fully cycle the control arms. Looks like I was not quite as far as I thought I was. On the plus side, I finished up the front fuel lines in the wheel well and to finish under the hood I have to order a 45* 6AN fitting and all will be done under the hood. I figured while the IRS was still out I would replace the rotors and pads...easy right. Well with adding the EBC green stuff pads and Centric rotors everything was too thick for me to re-install the calipers. Not sure what I did wrong (all the correct part numbers for a 03-04 Cobra). So I have to re-install the old pads (about 30 miles on them) and everything went back together after a little persuasion.

Here are the parts numbers I used

Centric Rotors 120.61046

EBC Green Stuff Pads DP21156

Yep - EBC adds a "special cleaning" layer of grit to "prepare the rotor surfaces" for their pads. And it's ~2mm thick on each pad.

My personal experience with EBC pads is they're a total waste of time, money and labor. Used a set of yellows on the EVO as a track pad. They were soooo bad (overheated in 2 laps!) that I gave all the sets of them I had away. They'd probably be OK for mild street use but there are many other less expensive pads available that do that much better than EBC.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Yep - EBC adds a "special cleaning" layer of grit to "prepare the rotor surfaces" for their pads. And it's ~2mm thick on each pad.

My personal experience with EBC pads is they're a total waste of time, money and labor. Used a set of yellows on the EVO as a track pad. They were soooo bad (overheated in 2 laps!) that I gave all the sets of them I had away. They'd probably be OK for mild street use but there are many other less expensive pads available that do that much better than EBC.
    What would be a better choice then?

For track pads (850-1100F operating range)? Do you like low pedal pressure (high friction pad) or high (low friction compounds)?

In the high friction pad arena I like the Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear (flavor to taste). IMHO they're too high-friction for street use (or sand or gravel) - like 10 Lbs pedal for 0.5G stop force makes them kinda touchy wren cold. That levels out after they heat up on track though. The 12 is a hotter compound than the 10.

Lots of folks like the Raybestos ST43 compound for track use also.

Some Boost
    I would rather have a middle of the road to high friction pad. I have had a car that took way to much pedal to stop (no air in the lines) and I have had one that would have your head smack the steering wheel if you were not paying attention. If I had to choose I would rather smack my head vs' trying to "Flintstone" the car to stop.

What master cylinder and booster are you using with that brake setup?