Thread: Stinky boost?

Stinky boost?

Whenever my motor reaches boost, I smell exhaust. I can't hear an exhaust leak. I can't smell exhaust while the motor is idling. The more boost, the stronger the smell.

I don't remember this issue before replacing the turbo, and I KNOW I didn't have this issue with the turbo I'm using now in its previous application.

I already know my motor is tired. My rings can't hold my boost, and after having to plug my dipstick tube to prevent oil from spraying out... It just spits it out of the rear main seal (even more) instead.

Aside from that, I don't see or understand how exhaust fumes would be escaping under boost.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Could be exhaust gases coming out of the PCV system that you are smelling.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    I used to get exhaust smell in the cabin coming through the dry rotted e-brake cable grommet. You might check that.

Both valid concerns. I'm sure that if oil is blowing past my rings and seals that exhaust gases could be also. And I'm also sure that there's probably a few grommets missing from under my console. I will take a good look this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Half Boost
    I am assuming you have checked the exhaust system to make sure there are no holes or loose connections.

Yes. Exhaust system checked and rechecked. NO visible or audible leaks... And no exhaust fumes when keeping out of the boost. I'm assuming at this point that it's escaping past the rings and seals. I'm committed to a rebuild this winter, not only to stop the the leaks and fumes, but to also add on all my go-fast parts. I was mostly curious about the phenomenon happening under boost so I could make sure I wasn't missing something during the rebuild that could perpetuate the problem.