Thread: Dim headlights

Noob

Dim headlights

I have a 1986 svo mustang with new headlight's and relays, grounds are good, getting about 14.2 volts to the bulbs while running but are still so dim you can hardly tell that there on any ideas?

When you're measuring voltage to the bulbs, where are you placing the meter leads? To measure properly both positive and negative meter leads must be connected at the headlamp bulb connector while lamps are powered.

From my experience with hte great wiring system in the Fox chassis (/sarcasm), the front light grounds are seriously undersized. Frequently the grounds attachment to the radiator core support need to be cleaned also.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    I did check voltage with both test leads at the plug, and I cleaned the grounds, will try to replace/add ground to the plug. I am 42 and can't see at night as good as i once could. This car has been my daily driver for 20 years but I have to do something about the lights. At night you can't tell that there on. The bulbs are autozone cheapest, maybe I should try another bulb. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SvoGreg View Post
    I did check voltage with both test leads at the plug,...
    Was this on the headlight side of the plug with the headlight unplugged or were you back-probing the plug with the headlight on? The latter would be the correct way to get a true "loaded" circuit voltage. If you have resistance in your circuit (corroded terminal, bad ground, etc) you won't pick this up by measuring an unloaded circuit. Best method is a voltage drop test. With headlights on, measure from battery ground post to ground side of headlight plug. Ideally you would see 0 volts. But any measurement will be your ground side voltage drop. Do the same on the power side - Pos battery post to power side of headlight plug - what's the voltage? Should be close to zero.
    Bad choices make great stories....!

Noob
    Thank you, I will check it today and get back.

^
    We'll be here.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Noob
    I have replaced the plugs, all the wire from the relay to the plugs with two ground wires off each plug. Put new Silver Star headlamp bulbs with the new headlight lenses have 14 volts at the headlamps and they are so dim you cannot see. My fog lights keep getting broke from rocks from the road, does anybody have a suggestion for a aftermarket driving light to replace the fog lamps that will look somewhat Factory.

Noob
    My son's 93 GT with new lenses, his running lights are brighter than my headlamps.