Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Formula 1 Racing Thread

Really bummed by Haas. Is it the drivers? Haas says it's tires and brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

I think Hass and Williams are in the same boat. They both have decent reliability and good current spec power units. They both need drivers

Considering the level of the F1 game and the other well-engineered, well-funded, highly-experienced competitors, I'd say Haas has done pretty good.

Would Haas do better with Lewis or Seb driving for them? Probably - eventually. They already have one of the top two power plants and a reasonable chassis. Don't know how good their aero is compared to the others. RoGro likes to blame the brakes for everything when 50% of the other teams do fine using the same brake components.

Vettel can be his own worst enemy with his occasional extreme moments.

And what's up with Kimi? Contract signed so no need to drive fast anymore??

I'm curious to see the new drivers in good cars. Some really good talent there. And as the other folks are getting close to 40, it's time for them to be moving on [to Indy, NASCAR, team management. announcers, ..???].
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Waaa, Waaa, Waaa ... (aka "Do it my way or I will take my ball and go home.")

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41857101

New engine proposal:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41820129

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Yep, they don't want any more engine manufacturers. Aston has gone so far as to hire engineers from the current manufacturers.

I think Grosjean realizes, now, that he made a career move that sidelined him. His chance of moving to a top team has been overtaken by the crop of impressive youngsters. Although, it's curious to see RB call up an older guy that they jettisoned 6 years ago. Dr. Richard Noggin no longer has any baby Sebs in waiting.

My thoughts for the last two races in 2017:

Brazil is usually cool and often rains. It's definitely an aero / power course. Advantage to Merc and RB, not so much Ferrari.

Abu is more of a mixed track but still many advantages to aero and power with it's really long straights. Another plus for Merc and RB although it's usually warmer than Brazil and rarely rains which may favor the red cars.

It also depends on the tyre selection available from our friends at Pirelli. In a way I miss the tyre explosions like Lewis had at Silverstone a couple years back. Tyres exploding instead of engines. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFleming View Post
    Brazil is usually cool and often rains. It's definitely an aero / power course. Advantage to Merc and RB, not so much Ferrari.
    4CECA917-13B7-4D1B-8E68-650C3A93D0EB.jpg
    Forcast is rain and cool. Point to Mike. The corners favor the Merc over the Ferrari. It looks like a cat fight between RB and Merc and the cool weather will help the Merc tires and the RB engines. It will be an emotional race, since it will probably be Massas last home GP. I hope it is celebrated in style!

Yeah, looks like Massa bailed and announced retirement. I can understand. Now he gets a second big send off by the home fans.

Hear are some of the proposals for the future:

Do you think the engine formula changes for the 2021 season will have a positive or negative effect on the long-term future of Formula 1?

The features of the proposals presented to manufacturer representatives are:

• 1.6 Litre, V6 Turbo Hybrid
    • 3000rpm higher engine running speed range to improve the sound
    • Prescriptive internal design parameters to restrict development costs and discourage extreme designs and running conditions
    • Removal of the MGUH
    • More powerful MGUK with focus on manual driver deployment in race together with option to save up energy over several laps to give a driver controlled tactical element to racing
    • Single turbo with dimensional constraints and weight limits
    • Standard energy store and control electronics
    • High Level of external prescriptive design to give ‘Plug-And-Play’ engine/chassis/transmission swap capability
    • Intention to investigate tighter fuel regulations and limits on number of fuels used

F1 believe these changes will benefit teams in the long run, make GPs more exciting for the fans, increase the sound of the engines and also improve sustainability, lower costs, and increase competitiveness amongst teams.
    Ross Brawn and the Communications team are very interested in what some of the most engaged and expert fans think of the proposals.
    We also have a short survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2021Engines
    What’s your opinion about the changes?

So the plan is to increase the MAX allowable RPM to 21K?? The current max RPM limit is 18K while most tams are limiting actual running RPMs under load to 15K to stay within the max fuel flow limitation. Unless the max fuel flow limit is increased, none of them will get to 21K anyway.

I don't zee there being much change in F1 with new engine / powerplant regs. We've done this before with at engine specs changing at least every decade once we got past the first turbo era.

Actually the current rpm limit is 15K. Most limit to 11,500 because of fuel. I saw where one of the proposals was 20% increase in fuel supply to allow rpm limits to be met.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven855 View Post
    Actually the current rpm limit is 15K. Most limit to 11,500 because of fuel. I saw where one of the proposals was 20% increase in fuel supply to allow rpm limits to be met.
    I stand corrected on the RPM limits.

I suspect to handle a 20% increase in fuel will require re-fueling at pit stops. Several teams are alrrady at the minimum limit after the race.

I'm also curious to see how McLaren does with Renault power next year. With the recent engine failures for RB, I'd be very worried if I were McLaren.

Alonzo will retire in '19 and go to race Indy cars.

Massa will retire this year and come back again mid-year '18. Then retire a third time for real. His home garage will have three Williams F1 cars in it. Tokens form Frank.

If the fuel is increased but the fuel is more supplier-controlled it will still be a redesign of the engine. The Renault this is 95% new to take better advantage of the fuel. Massa a third time, hmmm.........

New track lap record for Lewis during FP1 in Brazil:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/10/...ord-in-brazil/

Speaking of McLaren, if my count is correct, more Renault engines have gone ka-blamoo! than Honda engines since they signed their contract to use Renault power starting in 2018. Should they be worried??

Methinks it would be good for them to have a year-to-year contract at this point.

Thoughts on Brazil. I think everyone is tired of the violence and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the race moved somewhere else. Everyone is praising Hamilton but the reality is that he started from pit lane with a new engine, transmission and the car was setup for the track conditions. The day before was much cooler and humid and Hamilton had a huge benefit setting up for the heat. Maybe that should be a new condition, after qualifying if you are not in the top 10 you can make adjustments to the car setup before the race. I always cringe when Vettel or Hamilton complain about another driver but I am really tired of Grosjean and Verstappen every race. I am deginnning to think Hass will not improve with their current drivers. McClaren has become stagnant. Hondas have no power and reliability. Are we seeing Renault imploding? One more race, Mercedes, Ferrari and RedBull should be on the podium

The issues in Brazil should doom that location. Someone will eventually get shot.

Hamilton and Ricardo were the class of the field, with the aforementioned advantages. If anything, it might illustrate how Mercedes will runaway from everyone if they loosen the fuel restrictions.

Absolutely agree about Haas. A bit of a shame.

Weren't they talking about not using the Sao Paulo track a couple years back? Saying it needed a total refresh?

Yes

I think the problems were more extensive this year. Massa moved his family out of there.

Truly sad. That track has much history. Many championships decided there.

But we all know it takes tens of millions (dollars) to stay on the F1 schedule. If F1 was really so worried about costs associated with F1, they'd cut the host track fees.