Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Fornt and rear pads

Some Boost

Fornt and rear pads

I am looking for some input for brake pads for my SVO. It is mainly a weekend toy that will see some auto-x and maybe a road course (for fun) here or there. I would say about 70% street and 30% track.

It has cobra 13" brakes in the front and cobra IRS brakes in the rear, braided lines to all calipers, ford racing proportional valve (hollowed out factory valve) and a cobra M/C.

Any help will be appreciated.
    -Ryan

Personally I would install different pads (higher-temp op range) for track use events. It doesn't take long and completely eliminated the issue with attempting to find a dual-purpose pad material that eventually fails at both applications, one more than the other.

Unless you track drive like you do on the street. Then a single pad is probably OK.

BTW - There's a LOT of pad material options available for those calipers. If you like low pedal force (high friction pad materials) look at CarboTech. But, imho, they're not appropriate for street use as they're way too touchy (light pedal pressure) for a non-ABS street car.

I use Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear in the EVO for track days. Extremely difficult to drive on dirt/gravel and a mere crosswind on he pedal will lock the wheels (with ANS). A couple pounds of pedal touch is 0.5G. But they're GREAT when hot on track (especially of you like late braking) cause they grab RIGHT NOW with minimal pedal effort. And they can get HOT without detectable fade (remember the EVO weighs ~600# more than a stock SVO). I have measured 780F front rotor temps back in the pits AFTER a cool-off lap using those pads.

Some folks like the Raybestos track (ST-43) series too.

A lot (for tack use) depends on your driving style and aggressiveness level. If you get brakes HOT on track, then street pads are NOT appropriate.

IMHO.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Thank you for the info, sounds like I could probably get away with using the same pad for street and auto-x, then swap out the pads for any track days. Have you had any experience with Hawk or EBC pads?

I had a set of EBC Yellows on the EVO for a short time. All their pads come with an additional "coating" that's supposed to freshen/clean the rotor surfaces and help speed up bed-in of the pad materials. IMHO it's a waste - aka useless gimmick.

As a track pad, I found them totally worthless - 50% increase in pedal pressure in three laps. And by four laps stopping distances had more than tripled. I took them off and gave them away.

Can't comment on whether they're any good as a street-only pad. I found the stock Brembo/Ferodo pad compound was far superior for street use although some folks like to complain that they dust a lot.

That's my only expeience with EBC.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Some Boost
    Mike, I noticed that you had brake cooling ducts in one of the pictures you posted in my build thread. Can you tell me how you did it and do you have any pictures of the setup?

There's some data/pics here:

http://www.svocop.com/forum/showthre...=5012#post5012

I may have sources/part numbers somewhere, if needed. I tried to source the front backing plate in CF like what supposedly came on the 1993 Cobra, but nobody had them by the time I was searching. So I ended up with aluminum plates.

Let me know if you need more pics.

Some Boost
    Is the dust shield an "off the shelf" part or something that I will need to make?
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn and stop)

Is the dust shield an "off the shelf" part or something that I will need to make?
    I found them on-the-shelf but that was slightly more than a decade ago. Accepts a 3" hose and narrows the airflow to point to the center of the rotor/hub area.

[In my copious free time] I will find where I got them from and see if they're still offered.

Bumper cover fog lamp hole air inlets (from early 2006):
    From pegasusautoracing.com
    3624-BLACK
    Air Inlet: Small Bumper MT (1 Outlet) 2 req'd

Img_3790.jpgImg_3796.jpgImg_3804.jpgImg_3807.jpg

I've not yet located the source of the cooling plates or the hose kit. Might have been the same place, I've slept since then. Iirc they offered the "normal (350F) temp 3" hose and a higher-temp orange version (550F). More pics of the parts and installaiton/clearance checking.
    Img_3764.jpgImg_3782.jpgImg_3943.jpgImg_3947.jpgImg_3948.jpg

Some Boost
    I plan on making a front spliter for the car (extending from just past the bumper to the sway bar) so I will probably run the ducting to that. With the car being a bottom feeder hopefully that plan will work because the front area of the car is getting quite crowded now with adding the FMIC.

Some Boost
    I did find thee kits for the 94-04 Mustangs. That might be worth it...and it will save me from making/piecing a similar kit together.

Cheapest option

http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...cPath=78_79_82

Kenny Brown

http://store.kennybrown.com/category.../brake-cooling

Nice "How-to" article for the Kenny Brown kit.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ford-mustangs/

Nice "How-to" article for the Kenny Brown kit.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ford-mustangs/
    That pic looks like it blows all the air on the inside surface of the rotor. More better to blow it to the vented slots on the inside of the rotor - towards the center of the hub. That way it cools from the inside of the rotor and gets both sides more evenly.

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclesams_SVO View Post
    Thank you for the info, sounds like I could probably get away with using the same pad for street and auto-x, then swap out the pads for any track days. Have you had any experience with Hawk or EBC pads?
    When I started out using my SVO for track days, I used Hawk HP Plus with the stock calipers up front and EBC reds in back. I have since upgraded to the 13" Cobra setup up front with the stock calipers in the rear and I use the HP Blue up front and EBC yellows out back. The car is now 80% track / 20% street. The stopping power is awesome, but on the street they can start squealing in stop and go traffic.

Some Boost
    Thank you for the info as well.

Some Boost
    I found a set of new EBC green stuff brake pads on Amazon for under $20 shipped.....so those will be for everyday driving and auto-xing. If I get into more track events those will be swapped out for better ones. Now the hunt for front pads.

Noob
    Can anyone provide a part number on rear pads for track use? EBC / Hawk / Carbotech...etc? Having a tough time finding something for my new SVO to take her on the track. Found fronts, no problem, but no luck searching on the rear pads. Thanks. Kaz

Some Boost
    Front Brakes
    Hawk 'Club Racing' Brake Pads (HB125E.650)

Blue 9012 Brake Pads

Rear Brakes
    EBC Brake Pads - Yellowstuff 4000 Series (DP41161R)
    Yellowstuff 4000 Brake Pads
    Ultra High Friction Pad
    FMSI ID D204