Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Formula 1 Thread

2012 Formula 1 Thread

All things Formula One for 2012.

With Oz just a few long days away, we need to get this party started. There were some specious and ill-informed opinions made known on the Facebook page, but we'll just count those as a case of ignorant exuberance.

Lets start with the year long predictions, top five for constructors, top five for WDC.

Top five constructors:
    1. McLaren
    2. Redbull
    3. Lotus/Renault
    4. Ferrari
    5. Mercedes

Top 5 WDC
    1. Button
    2. Vettel
    3. Hamster
    4. The Brow
    5. The Convict

For shits and grins worse 5 constructors (dead last first)
    12. Marussia
    11. HRT
    10. Williams
    9. Caterham
    8. Sauber
    7. Toro Rosso

Shits and Grins II

How many times will Hamster and that "Brazilian who has forgotten how to drive" run into each other in 2012: 5 times

Shits and Grins III

Will one of the backmarkers drop out of the championship this year? Yes

On to Australia.

Pole: Hamster
    Winner: McLaren
    Enough of that, it was giving me a headache.

Hammy usually does very well in Mell-bun.

BTW - I entered the first 8 or so races into the site's calendar. With fastest lap records.
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Nice.

Bob, your sig is worse than ALL CAPS!!!!!!!

(aka Anonymous) Club Member Patrick's Avatar

all caps?

Several replies, but no one wants to jump in with predictions?

C'mon!!!

I'm in shock from your list. 2 years ago you thought that Button should retire from F1 and now you have him #1! The FORCE is in turmoil! What is this world coming too! What is going to happen next? The sun will not rise tomorrow, you will go racing and not break something. The red SVO will start and run! I'm going to go buy some more guns and move to the mountains...

Very true, I really thought that Button was a mid-field hack, blessed by truly odd circumstances.

However, last year I changed my mind. He had a couple of epic drives, and was given a contract that makes you wonder if the Hamster is a #2. Last to first at Montreal will go down as a modern classic. The guy can race...unfortunately he still can't qualify worth a damn.

Until Hammy starts getting laid again on a regular basis, his perfomance will suffer

Tony - even if you don't move to the mountains, you should buy more guns.

And don't forget to get more ammo. Most guns make lousy clubs.

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

The first race will reveal lots and some stuff we already know. Red Bull is fast, so is McLaren. Will the rule changes be enough to unseat Vettel is the question. I think not, Vettel #1 for Australia. Where is McLaren? They will start off better than last year and the Hamster is ready and on the Podium at #2. The last spot should belong to Button. #4 is the biggest question. Ferrari is not bluffing, they are terrible. Can Ferando squeek out a forth? I say no, look for him to be #6. There are just too many good drivers and cars for him to do better. If Webber shows up to race look for him to be ahead of Alonso, if not if will be behind him and ahead of Massa. I just do not have a good feel on how good the Lotus or Mercedes is. If the Shoe beats Alonso, they have a good car. How good is the Lotus? That may be some of the Best racing to happen down under with Kimi and Alsonso. If they have a really good car maybe Kimi, Rosberg, and Webber getting in the way. Of course all this goes out the window if Kobioshi screws everyone up.

The Australian qualifing results are in:
    1# Hamilton
    2# Button
    3# Grosjean
    4# Schumacher
    5# Webber
    6# Vettel
    7# Rosberg
    8# Maladono
    9# Hulkenberg
    10# Ricciardo

And so the season starts! Lots of surprises. We will now get to see how good of a driver Vettel is and there are more questions than answers. Has McLaren improved their starts? Has RedBull? Will the shoe let Webber pass? How bad will the iceman crash in his first race? Who will Massa complain about? Will Williams beat the Ferraris' and finish in the top 10 in Australia?

Looks like some guys are having a lot more trouble than others with the reduced rear grip.

Looks like we'll be spared the Massa/Hamilton cockups except when Hamilton is lapping Massa.

I agree about Vettel, guess we'll get to finally find out if he can race through the field. Its a bit troubling to see Msc (the rolling block) qualify so high. We'll see if the new Schumacher rule abates the problem.

Nothing posted since the first race? Hmmmm. I have struggled with the results, got some of them right and missed on some others. Is the McLaren that good this year? What about the Hamsters performance? His Mental fitness. What about Alonso? How will they do in the next race? The Williams car sure took a big step up. The Mercedes seems to be better with the same problems, mainly the lack of race pace. The Lotus could surprise us. The next race is a more typical F1 race, faster pace, not as bumpy and with some high speed corners. So before I get into predictions how about listing your biggest surprise of the season. After careful consideration for me it has to be how well the Williams is doing with what I consider such mediocre drivers. These drivers are in F1 because they have paid to be here, Barricello is still better than either of them. Can you emagine the outrage in Italy if Williams had kept Barricello and they were beating Alsonso and Ferrari! The press would be going crazy!

Ferrari has to be the surprise of the season. The good showing by Alonso...is about how good Alonso is.

Sauber...wow. Didn't expect that.

Grosjoan (sp?) Wow, didn't expect that.

Button out dragging Hammy at the start...didn't expect that. And his ability to pull away to more than a second within two laps (ala Vettel 2011) that was new.

But, I agree, we probably won't see the true pace of the cars until Malysia. I expect Kimi to perform far better.

I keep thinking that Rosberg is on the cusp of winning, but no. I think he's turning into the new "old Button." A journeyman that will keep you in the hunt but never gets the prize.

Well 2 races down now and there are more questions than answers. Will the Hanster get out of his funk? How many races till the Red Bull is competitive? Will Vettel respond to the latest race results and beat Webber and get on Podium? Why is the McLaren and the Mercedes having so much trouble in the dirty air. The Sauber was really good and with a good driver seems to be doing well. Will they see another podium in China? Rosberg is having a hard time in the new Mercedes, will he replace Massa? Or will Perez? If Massa does not get out of Q1 and does not do well in the next race how quickly will he be replaced. How soon before the Ice Man gets a podium? Will we get a new Ferrari soon? Will Sutil replace KarthaKain?

I predict Perez to replace Massa by Monaco.

Louis is not taking very good care of his tires. Kimi is, and some of the new faces (Perez, Maldonado, Grosjean) appear ready to occupy some podiums. It doesn't appear that Massa will last very long if he doesn't have a good weekend sometime soon.

Methinks that even if Massa got the next two consecutive top podium places that his job is done at Ferrari.

Agree, Massa is toast. His driving is just flat out erratic. Notice his attempt to sideswipe Button?

I think it'll be Perez. Ferrari engines in the Sauber. But, I don't think that Ferrari typically takes on unproven drivers, so no one will be moving over from Toro Rosso. How about Timo or Heikki? Both are experienced drivers in a machine that is beneath their abilities.

I still don't think we have a good read on the capabilities of the cars. Rain races are no yard stick to measure them by.

By the way that the low rear downforce stuff appears to be working, I think that Monaco could be a barn burner with an upset or non conventional winner.