Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: TFI Question

TFI Question

I've tried searching, but didn't seem to find a clear answer. I'm replacing the TFI module on my 1986, trying to troubleshoot what seems to be an ignition issue, and was looking at rockauto for a replacement. There are several brands listed, including motorcraft. Is it worth getting a motorcraft part as opposed to one of the much cheaper variants? Also, there are two different motorcraft modules listed. One appears to be SVO specific (PN: E43Z12A297A which I'm pretty sure is the original PN), but did the SVO actually use a special one? If I need to buy the expensive one, that's fine, but if I don't have to and could save some money would be nice.

Thanks for your help.
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine

I personally have never had any issues with non-MC TFI units.

One note: Ive learned over the decades that it is best to replace the TFI and PIP at the same time. They have a tendency to take each other out when they fail. You wiull needto disassemble the distributor to change the PIP (aka Hall Effect Sensor).
    Helping SVO owners & racers since 1984

Poll Finds 30% Of Americans Still Undecided Whether To Vote Out Of Fear Or Spite

Okay, that's what I needed. Thanks!
    Only thing that beats the sound of a big and rumbly V8, turbo whine