Thread: 2015+ 18" wheels

Noob

2015+ 18" wheels

I am looking for a new wheel and tire combo for my 84 SVO, current set up is a stock K member and A arms with sn95 ball joints, spindles with 13" cobra brakes and 1995 cobra wheels. Wheels fit well with minor rubbing. I am looking at 2015 18 X 8's and really like them, +40mm offset looks like it would fit but I haven't seen any information on backspacing. Obviously older threads I have found offered no information on the newer wheels, I will try to get a seller to measure backspacing if possible....or even better get a test fit. I thought I read somewhere that the 17" wheels fit? but nothing definitive.

If anybody can shine some light on how these wheels would fit that would be great! I will keep on trying to find more info! Thanks in advance!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-201...ZWewWn&vxp=mtr

You can calculate the backspacing from the specs that you have. 8" width equals 9" overall from flange to flange (0.5" for each mounting bead), half of that is 4.5". 40 mm offset equals 1.575", add that to the 4.5" and you get 6.075" backspacing. The 0.5" for each bead is approximate, but very close for 95% of alloy wheels, certainly the OEM Ford wheels.

From what I've seen looking at photos of SVOs with OEM SN95 17x8" wheels (which are +30 offset, 5.72" backspacing), they could use a bit more offset to get tucked under the fenders. I'm thinking that the S197 wheels will be a nice fit.

cheers
    Ed
    Last edited by fast Ed; 05-02-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add info

I would look at 235/40/18 tires which would be just .5" over stock tire size and probably no rubbing or a 245/35/18 might work with a little harsher ride. My 17" rims with 245's rub just a little bit. Good Luck! Post Pictures!

Half Boost
    I have '04 Mach 1 wheels on mine with 245/45/17 tires on stock hubs and brakes. The fronts only rub on a hard turn and the rears will rub even with the fender lips rolled. I would think going to an 18" wheel is going to be a problem with rubbing. Do you have the car lowered?

The wheel diameter doesn't matter as much as the offset does (assuming the correct overall tire diameter is chosen) ... and the 05-up OEM Mustang wheels have much more positive offset than the 94-04 wheels do, tucking them in further from the fender lips.

cheers
    Ed