Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying SVO Club Of Pat but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free SVO Club Of Pat account now? As a SVO Club Of Pat registered user you get free access to our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a SVO Club Of Pat member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: Dot3, Dot4, Dot 5.1?

Half Boost

Dot3, Dot4, Dot 5.1?

Well I put new stainless flex lines on the front of my car and need to flush the old fluid out. I have forgotten the fluid I used last time what are the preferences.

Some Boost
    I use Motorcraft Dot 3 for my track car. Even the Porsche guys use it.

Half Boost
    Porsche guys using Motorcraft must say something! I seem to remember that Dot 4 is silicone and not good for the street (absorbs moisture?) Dot 3 is the standard in all cars what is 5.1 about?

DOT3, DOT4, & DOT 5.1 are all three glycol based, meaning they will "absorb water". Technical term is the fluid is hygroscopic. DOT 5 is silicone based so it is not hydroscopic. If you choose to run DOT 5 in a car that has always run glycol based fluid, you should perform a very through flush to remove the glycol fluid since it does not play nice with silicon based fluid & is very damaging if there is any moisture in the system. The other important difference in each is the boiling point.

Here's a little more detailed info I reference back to when needed...
    http://www.advancepetro.com/differentbrakefluid.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    Porsche guys using Motorcraft must say something! I seem to remember that Dot 4 is silicone and not good for the street (absorbs moisture?) Dot 3 is the standard in all cars what is 5.1 about?
    Last edited by Meotchh; 05-31-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks & now I fixed it
    There's nothing more to see here, now move along...

Some Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by brsvo View Post
    From my previous research, Motorcraft has the highest boiling point of all DOT 3 brake fluids that are not "race" rated.

Half Boost
    Thanks for the info I will do a complete flush of my system and run 5.1.